Does anyone have bad back issues? I am new to this. THX

Options
My friend introduced me this website. I have a degenerative disk disease and a bone growth on the lower spine due to an injury back in 2004. I was a runner and played sports in high school. This disease stopped me from running and extensive exercises. All I can do was brisk walks and light arm weights. Because of this, I gained 15 lbs and could not lose it. I fear I will gain more if I don't do something about it. Is there anyone who have the same issues I have? Your help would be greatly appreciated.:smile:

Replies

• lesford
    lesford Posts: 8
    Options
    I have bad back issues too. I find treadmill work where I walk at an incline burns quite a few calories. And if I keep my core tight while doing it, it doesn't aggravate my back.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't have degenerative disc disease, but I do have back issues. I have scoliosis, 2 herniated discs, and arthritis throughout my spine. I have to modify high impact activities to low impact but with the right resistance training to strengthen my back muscles, they support the spine a lot better so I can do pretty much any workout I want. The first thing you need to do is talk to your doctor about your specific restrictions. After you know what you can't do, then you can start doing what you can and strengthening the back to help alleviate your pain and decrease risk of further injury.
  • lexis0911
    lexis0911 Posts: 50
    Options
    I have back issues as well... I had back surgery in 2006 for a herniated L5S1 and currently have a herniated L4... my core is not strong AT ALL!! I have neglected to be consistant with my back exercises (core) so I have no one to blame but myself. However, the one thing that doesn't bother my back is walking. I have a treadmill and a heart rate monitor and find that like lesford mentioned, I can burn a lot of calories on an incline. My goal is to strengthen my core, but until I can lose some of this weight I am carrying, walking will be my go to exercise right now.
  • Munchiemooka
    Munchiemooka Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I had degenertation of the disc in 5 ,6 & 7 and there is no way I am exercising when I have a flare up or a nerve gets trapped and have to live off painkillers.... But after some good physo I have learnt how to make the flare up shorter, and my physo said the best thing I can do is to exercise and keep as fit as possible (you probely heard the same from yours lol).

When its good I walk as much as possible even if its just getting off the bus one stop before (and walk up the hill) and use my stationary bike lots, I have also started using any exercise vid at home as I can stop if I need too. Just take it one day at a time and you will learn the exercises you can do. There are lots of other things out there apart from running :happy:

Smiwing is good to and you back with be suported.

Good luck and we are all here for you xXx
  • obifatkanobi
    Options
    I use a body ball for working core muscles and improvised some of the therapy exercises so that I do them on the ball, too. It has greatly improved my core strength, reduced back pain, and it is very low impact. Even doing jumping jacks while sitting on the ball does not cause any pain. Of course, talk to your physician or therapist first so that you don't do anything that will worsen your condition.
  • deafmom4
    deafmom4 Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks for your great support!! :flowerforyou:
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I have DDD from top of my neck to tailbone, healed l4/l5/s1 herniation, arthritis in my entire spine and a thoracic syrinx. Since my initial injury in 1987 I'm still not a candidate for surgery and I don't think I ever will be due to the amount of damage I have. Fixing one will only add stress to the next level until my entire spine would need fusing... not a viable reality now is it?

The key is listening to YOUR body because only you really know what you can and can't do and know that it will change from day to day but you will get stronger overall. Keep yourself flexible so that you're not putting strain on your back even at rest. Core strengthening will come with modified exercises and once your core is stronger you can start increasing your weights for workout. Remember that working out with weights is not the same as carrying a 20lb bag of groceries or a suitcase and it will have a different feel and work different muscles. I have an lifting limit of about a gallon of milk, yet I can lift about 20lbs right now at my tightest flexibility with my legs depending on the exercise. Even if you do only the stretches and exercises done in PT sessions, it still counts as exercise!!

I've been forced out of an active job into a desk job due to the strain on my back from being on my feet all day, yet now I find 3 years into it that sitting all day is having other side effects. My already tight hamstrings are now tighter than they've every been and that pulls in my glutes which pulls in my back...viscous cycle.

I started on MFP on January 1st with the goal of walking the 1 mile loop around my neighborhood everyday and focusing mostly on my diet due to my physical limitations. I walked 3 days - 30 minutes for that 1 mile, so it was hardly fast yet I could not continue on a daily regime. There are days where getting out of bed is the worst thing I can do and others when I can spring out like I'm a fit 18 year old again with a perfect spine. Every day and even every hour of every day is different.

Anything you can add that won't cause you pain is more than you are doing now and should not be considered a useless effort. There is no shame in focusing only on your diet for now. At least that way you will learn how to maintain a weight and life a healthier life even if you can't do any kind of exercise ever again. Add it will only make you healthier.

Best of luck on your journey. Feel free to IM anytime. :flowerforyou:
  • butterfly_lvr
    Options
    another back problem girl to join the pack here; I have a slight crooked spine, two compressed discs in lower back (L4 and L5) and two compressed discs up in whiplash area. I have been doing the Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds DVD's and anytime something comes up I am not comfortable with I just keep walking in place. We also bought an elliptical and though I am not on it for very long (a matter of a mere couple of minutes at a time) it has not bothered my back at all and it keeps the heart rate up.
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    another back problem girl to join the pack here; I have a slight crooked spine, two compressed discs in lower back (L4 and L5) and two compressed discs up in whiplash area. I have been doing the Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds DVD's and anytime something comes up I am not comfortable with I just keep walking in place. We also bought an elliptical and though I am not on it for very long (a matter of a mere couple of minutes at a time) it has not bothered my back at all and it keeps the heart rate up.
    I agree the elliptical is very back friendly - just be mindful of the arm movements if you have neck problems too. I usually use a treadmill as a default exercise, but since our apt gym has the elliptical and I have always preferred running, I gave it a shot and found it less stressful on my spine.
  • butterfly_lvr
    Options
    I agree the elliptical is very back friendly - just be mindful of the arm movements if you have neck problems too. I usually use a treadmill as a default exercise, but since our apt gym has the elliptical and I have always preferred running, I gave it a shot and found it less stressful on my spine.

I used to have the treadmill and just got bored with it and it actually seemed like it was putting to much stress on my knees; now with the elliptical that problem is solved and I have been mindfull of arm movements. For the most part my compressed discs in that area just cause headaches now and then but am keeping an eye on everything.
  • deafmom4
    Options

Thank you for the help with the exercise method. I think I will get a good benefit from this.
  • deafmom4
    Options
    Well, I don't have degenerative disc disease, but I do have back issues. I have scoliosis, 2 herniated discs, and arthritis throughout my spine. I have to modify high impact activities to low impact but with the right resistance training to strengthen my back muscles, they support the spine a lot better so I can do pretty much any workout I want. The first thing you need to do is talk to your doctor about your specific restrictions. After you know what you can't do, then you can start doing what you can and strengthening the back to help alleviate your pain and decrease risk of further injury.

I have spoken to my physician about what I can do as for exercises. He pointed out that walking and pilates are great exercises for back pains. He did mentioned that running should be my last priority. Have to start by doing baby steps which is a bit annoying at times but I have to realized that I am nursing my injuries which is important to me.
    Thanks so much for your help & support :flowerforyou:
  • lara_scoffed
    Options
    I've been battling a similar problem since 1998. Like you I used to do a lot of sport & never had weight issues. A couple of years ago after a second failed back op I kinda gave up caring about my weight and gradually put on 2st over 2 years. Recently realised the weight isn't doing my back any good. I can't give you much advice as I've only been trying to lose weight for 5 weeks. I can only walk gently or swim, so the weight loss is proving much slower than other people; I've lost 1.1kg so far (just over 2 pounds i think). I'd say we are probably less active than most people so we have to eat slightly fewer calories, and be a bit more patient. I've increased my daily walk from 20 to 30 mins a day and that seems to have made a difference.I don't think you have to do really intensive exercise to lose weight, just little & often. I'm also going to try to stick to the 1280 calorie allowance and not eat the extra calories I earn through exercise, as I'm hoping this will cancel out the fact that the rest of my day is much less active than other people's. Keep your chin up, set a realistic goal, and focus on how good it will feel when you achieve it!