NOT A SWEATER

Options
I have been working out diligently for a week now and I really am not a sweater. Can that be the reason for my lack of weight loss? I walk at least 3 miles daily if not 6 and have been to the gym atleast 5 days in the week attending atleast 3 classes and getting on the treadmill and strenth training twice. need advice.

Replies

• nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    Options
    as far as i know, sweating plays no serious role in weight loss. i'm not much of a sweater either, and i still lose weight :)
  • rice161
    rice161 Posts: 59
    Options
    I would LOVE to not sweat so much so consider yourself lucky. Losing weight (to start) comes down to calories and output. Sounds like you are putting in a lot of effort and it will pay off eventually. Have you thought about a heart rate monitor to ensure you're working your body as much as you think you are?
  • PrincessLacey
    Options
    do more cardio!that should help you sweat.
    walk faster like if you walk at a 3.0 pace go 3.5,take larger steps?just ideas
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    That's interesting. My first thought was that maybe you aren't working hard enough, but then maybe your body is just really good at maintaining temperature. Air temp can have an affect, so can your hydration level.

As long as you aren't having any symptoms of dehydration, or hyperthermia, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
  • cgreagor
    cgreagor Posts: 8
    Options
    Are you writing down your food intake? Keep doing the exercise you are doing now and watch every bite that goes into your mouth and make sure you are drinking your water! Good luck and keep going, dont give up!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Some people just don't sweat. The important thing is getting your heart rate up. If your heart rate isn't increasing, if you're not breathing hard, then you're not burning a lot of calories. But sweating is not a good indicator of how hard you're working.
  • gypsybeke
    gypsybeke Posts: 12
    Options
    Wish I had that problem! lol :)
    Well...as far as not losing when you work out... I don't know. It doesn't seem like that should matter because you are only losing water when you sweat, not fat. Just make sure you are staying hydrated and keeping your calories goals. Maybe your body is just adjusting to your new lifestyle. If you aren't eating enough with your exercise, that could be a factor too. Maybe you need to life more weights. Who knows? It might be a matter of trying different things until you find a system that works. :) Sorry that was sort of convoluted.
  • gail4721
    gail4721 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You are probably eating more calories than you are burning off. You have the right idea dont get discouraged. Now that you've asked you will get responses that should help you. Lots of good ideas on MFP and lots of people who genuinely care. Good luck on your quest.:happy:
  • ashleynicoleb
    ashleynicoleb Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be too concerned, just make sure you're giving it your all! I wish I had that problem- I sweat so much lately! lol
  • michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I have been working out diligently for a week now and I really am not a sweater. Can that be the reason for my lack of weight loss? I walk at least 3 miles daily if not 6 and have been to the gym atleast 5 days in the week attending atleast 3 classes and getting on the treadmill and strenth training twice. need advice.

I don't sweat at all when I walk. Maybe if it's a really hot day but then even not that much. While walking is great, IMO you don't lose weight as quickly from it as you would from running. I know running can be intimidating but let me just tell you, even though I'm not usually a sweater when I'm really putting it all out there & running I sweat!!!!! Try it sometime if you can! The results are amazing :)