Problem reaching my calorie intake

Options
I know I used to eat over my set calorie goal before I started this program. But now that I am actually paying attention to what I eat, I'm finding it's really hard for me to eat the total calories that I am supposed to be getting. I am too full with what I am eating to eat more. I don't want to make myself sick by forcing myself to eat more but I don't want to make my body go into starvation mode. Any one else going through this?

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Easiest way to boost your calories HEALTHY ways is to get good for you calorie dense foods, nuts, nut butters, avocado and more, flax seed, hemp seed etc. Watch portions with them but they are a good way to boost calories while eating good foods.

As another poster suggested, try "normal" versions of foods, I much much much prefer the taste of regular miracle whip when I'm having it WAY over any of the 1/3 less fat etc versions, I can just use 1/3 less product and reach the same fat reduction but get the same taste. Try whole milk instead of 2%... 2% instead of 1% etc.
  • newrunner08
    Options
    I rarely reach my calorie goal, and I exercise and still don't lose much weight. I sometimes go over on carbs a bit..
  • ian191
    ian191 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I haven't had this problem, but if I remember right, many recommend eating some mixed nuts... Doesn't take more than a palm-full to amount to 200 calories or so.
  • victoriashea
    Options
    Absolutely I run into the same problem almost daily. I'm too much of a stickler to eat empty calories, but at the end of the day I find myself sometimes with 400 or more calories that I know will make an impact on my health. I've found I can get around this with small adjustments. A few calories here and there really do add up. Here's my method:
    I occasionally drink milk instead of water, or even some fruit juices. This is a good healthy way to add extra calories and also vitamins and nutrients, etc.
    I spread a little peanut butter on whatever fruit I'm snacking on. Apples, bananas, whatever. It goes with most everything. And the extra protein gives me a great boost.
    Walnuts are my pal. I have some in a jar, and I'll pop 5 or 6 every couple hours. That's a good 80 calories right there.
    Or I spritz my salads with olive oil. One tablespoon has a shocking 119 calories, but it's loaded with healthy monounsaturated fats. Great for skin, hair, and nails.

So I just try to sneak calories in throughout the day. What you want to avoid is a little mini binge on something sugary to fill the calorie gap. The less empty calories you consume the better.
    Hope this helps. Happy dieting!
  • ahkunkel
    ahkunkel Posts: 68
    Options
    I used to have this problem and I realized it was because most of the things I was eating were alternative versions of something else. For instance, I would eat/drink non-fat yogurt, pudding, butter, milk, salad dressings, diet colas, egg whites, etc which were all really low in calories and fat, but high in preservatives, alternative sugars, sodium, etc. Maybe try swapping out some of your foods, so if you are used to eating 80 calorie light and fit yogurt, maybe try an all natural 2% yogurt or if you are eating "I can't believe its not butter" try eating regular butter but just in smaller quantities. Just a suggestion.
  • PamDW
    PamDW Posts: 246
    Options
    the nuts is good...
    but having talked with several professionals.... it takes a long time for your body to go into starvation mode. But having said that... people react differently to different scenarios... there is someone on mfp that did go into "starvation mode" I find that if I flex my calories on different days... eat more one day and under the next it seems to help me.
  • jclji4
    jclji4 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I use mixed nuts too, and also peanut butter with an apple or banana...2 tbsp of peanut butter on a banana is about 300 calories. One ounce of mixed nuts is 170 calories. U can also add avocado, olives and sunflower seeds to your salads if you eat them.