Not losing weight quick enough, but losing inches

parisianskies002
parisianskies002 Posts: 88
edited September 25 in Health and Weight Loss
I just want to get to the bottom of this!! l have lost 2lb this week, which is fantastic but it has been such a slow process since January of this year.

l went from 154lb to 145lb and l have only lost inches around my waist. l have searched online and they said it means l am gaining muscle but how can this be when l am mostly doing cardio workouts? (cross trainer and treadmill)

l am also attending to 3 classes a week; high intensity aerobics, steps & body combat < could those be the culprit of muscle gain? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• ejcross
    ejcross Posts: 2 Member
    Keep going! Muscle is a good thing, it helps to burn fat away faster! Anything that you do is going to build muscle and muscle weighs more than fat! I have been doing personal training and boot camp and only lost 2 pounds in 3 months, but I lost 4 inches and my body fat has gone way down! Remember, it's not just pounds that matter. Some can weigh 175 pounds and be all fat next to someone who weighs the same and looks great, because it's all muscle. Hope this helps.
  • TiDinzeo
    TiDinzeo Posts: 309
    You build muscle any time you exercise. Resistance training just builds it faster. Or I think so anyway.
  • purpleposies
    purpleposies Posts: 90 Member
    One important question is what is your goal weight and how much do you have to lose? If you don't have a lot of weight to lose it's not going to all fall off quickly. I can understand that 9 lb in three months DOES sound frustrating, though. Are you honestly recording your food as well?
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    You probably are burning fat, you are just replacing it with muscle. You need to stop focusing on the numbers on the scale and focus on your health. You body fat percentage is what is important not your weight.

Also you may be one of those people who builds muscle easily. Don't sweat it so much. More lean muscle mass means you will burn fat faster and maybe that number will go down faster.
  • One important question is what is your goal weight and how much do you have to lose? If you don't have a lot of weight to lose it's not going to all fall off quickly. I can understand that 9 lb in three months DOES sound frustrating, though. Are you honestly recording your food as well?

I'm definitely recording what l eat as well. l cook my own meals, which includes lots of veg, fruit, chicken and very few carbs (only for when l work out)
  • alanmonks
    alanmonks Posts: 115 Member
    Losing inches is the way forward. Don't worry about losing weight, ultimately you working on FAT LOSS, that will have the biggest difference on your body composition. Keep going.
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Just checked out your profile as well. Since you are 18 and a female your body is also still growing, and your probably going threw your last growth spurt so don't sweat it if your not losing a lot of weight quickly.
This discussion has been closed.