Losing energy when running

Options
I was doing ok with running I thought. My usual route is 3.5 miles/5.6km and ive been doing that ok, and i do it in roughly 35/40 minutes. I run that at least 3 times a week, power walk it a few more times and then i might do a shorter run on the treadmill once or twice.

The last couple of times ive done it, ive felt really light headed, especially on the way back and have had to stop for a sit down because ive felt faint and a bit sick.

My partner thinks its because im stupid trying to maintain a low weight/lose weight whilst training and i should up my calories.
Today i ate 20g of chocolate before my run to see if that would help, but i had the same thing.
Do you think maybe a sugary drink in my water bottle when running rather than sugar free or water might help?

I feel like im getting LESS fit, not more.

Replies

• aaronjarvis
    aaronjarvis Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hows your hydration level? Its possible your getting a little dehydrated. If you try to drop too much weight quick this can certainly happen.
  • cng1117
    cng1117 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    maybe you need to eat a bit more protein and a carb (like beans) maybe before you run or right after to refuel your body... also, if your not doing any kind of strength activity i wonder if maybe you are losing muscle and that could possibly why you feel weaker... i dont think a sugary drink would quite be the answer cause that could spike your insulin...
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    If you're tiring out that quickly, it "probably" means you're burning through your glycogen stores and need to replenish in the form of carbs. Runblogger has a pretty good podcast explaining the different fuels you burn when running at different heart rates.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I looked at your food diary...I hate to tell you, but you eat LOUSY for a Runner ( or any athlete in training.) You need to get into nutrition as well as the exercise. On what you eat you are going to do yourself a lot of damage, not healthy at all...just low calories.

Get some advice from a Professional nutritionist and lay out your goals for training and athletics, and maybe let the Nutritionist set you up an eating plan.
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I agree with what others are saying...I will only add to not discount seasonal allergies...they are certainly impacting my energy level these days!
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are just tired - try taking an extra day off. Also, I find a banana is the best thing for energy before a run. I'm sure you will get lots more suggestions.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    really? what should i be eating then. I thought my diet was fairly balanced?? Not perfect, but i generally eat my fruit and veg in a day and get my protein.

What do you suggest?
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Hi there
    I have experienced this sometimes when running. I put it down to one of two possible things:

1. Not enough water before you run - not so important during the run if you are running for less than 1 hour (unless ir's particularly hot)

2. Psychological - do you get it when you feel that you need to stop running and walk for a bit. This happens to me if I run the same route a lot and know that I can get to a certain point before I need to power walk. It's like my brain says "you only ran to this point last time so you should be stopping". This could be mumbo jumbo but who knows - could you try a different route to break that mental barrier.

Good luck - add me as a friend if you would like mutual support.

Alison
    x
  • tamiller93
    tamiller93 Posts: 195
    Options
    More protein. I am a runner and I find that if I have not had adequate protein, I simply don't have the energy I need to run at my best. On a typical day I try to get around 80 grams, even though MFP says I don't need that much. Since I run 6 to 7 days a week, I feel that my body needs it.
  • gailosborne
    gailosborne Posts: 435
    Options
    I have felt sick sometimes when training - but its usually doing plyometrics or circuits - I put it down to over exertion!

If you are running a distance/pace etc you are fairly used to and can manage, I would go with the hydration and nutrition. I do a fair bit of running and running training and have found that eating something like a few nuts and half a banana/some grapes or a piece of wholemeal toast with peanut butter about an hour before helps me a lot. If I am doing hard training after work, I make sure I eat more for breakfast, have a morning snack, a lunch with carbs and protien and then a pre training snack and a modest calorie but good refuelling dinner.

I get a cramp if I eat too much but this has worked for me and I have noticed a positive difference to my stamina.

Hope you get it sorted!:smile:
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    i feel like ive been running faster, yet my times indicate that im not, so im not really sure. Ive been feeling hungrier in general too
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    You have received some great replies here. I really like the one about the banana beforehand. If your goal is to be a better runner, I highly recommend joining a local running group. There is usually one in every area, and that way you can receive input and advice from people who very likely have gone through the same experience as you. Think about your diet as the tool necessary to achieve your goal as a runner. Try eating what other runners eat. Always eat high quality, healthy foods (good advice even for non-runners). Personally, I would avoid sugary drinks and refined sugars whenever possible (I view them as poison) and go for the natural "highs" whenever you can. Sometimes an energy bar and things of that sort, especially before a race or running event, is necessary, but I am a believer in sticking to natural, healthy choices while training. Check out any books and advice on running by Jeff Galloway. And like has also been mentioned, hydrate like crazy. Water keeps everything running well.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    How long have you been running? I am finding I have no energy to run at the moment, I think it's that my body has finally started running out of all that store of energy I've been holding for 5 years. My husband brought me home a load of recovery shakes last week, which are protein, carbs and micronutrients that are supposed to prevent fatigue. I haven't had a chance to try them yet to see if they work.

Other things to look out for are low carbs in your diet - you need energy to run, and anaemia which can cause light headedness and heavy legs when exercising. How is your breathing? Are you getting enough air in when you run? Are you remembering to breathe from your diaphragm to maximise lung capacity?
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    im going to definitely try and eat a bit more before a run, maybe a banana or something would be better than chocolate for sustaining energy.

What is a good amount of protein to aim for, and can anyone give me any tips for tweaking my diet, bearing in mind im also a busy mum and dont want to make huge changes that i wont be able to maintain. Needs to be realistic
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    ive only been running this much for a few weeks, although before that i was going to the gym a few times a week and maybe doing 20/25 minutes on the treadmill amongst other exercises. Was doing that for a couple of years. Not doing the gym anymore though.
  • Delboy1961
    Options
    I take a drink with me ...its from Holland and Barrett and was on offer ( half price ) Iso Energy and I sip that om long runs and it works for me
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Running is very different to gym type exercise, to me, anyway. Perhaps switch to 2 longer sessions a week rather than more short ones? I need rest days between running, usually 2 or 3. You can do other things in between. I have had to really change my diet since I started running, to get more protein as I wasn't getting nearly enough. I'm still not, really, but better than it was. Are you training for a half marathon? That is my goal too. Rather daunting at the moment!
  • gailosborne
    gailosborne Posts: 435
    Options
    I sometimes feel hungrier the day after a run! I have to really watch myself or I'd be in the biscuit tin like nobody's business!

I have only had a quick look at a few days of your diary so you may do this anyway, in which case I'm sorry - I'd maybe swap the white bread for wholemeal if you can stand it, and knock the sugar down a bit. Go for slower release carbs when you have them like a acket sweet potato rather than a normal one, peanut better (my obsession) rather than preserves etc. It means that you will have a steadier release of energy rather than a higher burst which quickly fades.

I eat lots of protien and try to have it with carbs - so if I'm eating an apple or a rice cake for example, I might have cottage cheese with it or a couple of brazil nuts as I believe I am right in saying it slows the release of the sugars from the carbs.
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    i actually dont eat much bread normally, or jam. The things youve noticed is when ive picked at the kids leftovers ;) the white bread was in a cafe, i dont usually buy it, so i do agree with you on those things.
  • alazarus
    alazarus Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough calories or getting enough nutrition. You're not giving your body enough energy to run. You can feel this with your tiredness and feeling like you have to run harder to go the same pace. Eat more or rest more.