Fear of the old food

Options
So prior to starting my journey 14mos ago, I was the queen of take away and sneak eating:blushing: . I'd pop down to the shop and bring home a bag of chips/crisps...pringles were my favourite. And as the afternoon or evening passed, I would munch my way through the whole thing - and then hide the evidence before my boyfriend got home. This went with other snack food as well. I'd bury it in the bin or take the rubbish out so he wouldn't see what I had eaten. I also really had a thing for take away pizza. I'd order a pizza and some sides and then before I knew it, the food was gone and I felt sick and disgusted with myself.

Since I started changing my life I've not purchased any pringles or pizza, this is not because I haven't wanted to. To be honest, the pringles don't really bother me and I don't really crave them any more. Pizza though, pizza I would love to eat again. I have avoided it so far. I have said to myself, if I reach this goal, then I'll have pizza as a treat, and thus far, I've met the goal but not given into the pizza.

And I think i know why. I'm afraid that if I have some pizza, a slice or 2, I'll not be able to stop and I'll eat the whole thing :( There are lots of food from my past that I now realise I have this fear of: ice cream, cookies, chinese food to name a few. Now, before anyone says, yes I recognise that these foods are not good choices and they are not good for me. But at the same time, there are times when I would like to kick back and relax my diet A LITTLE and enjoy a treat. I don't ever see me returning to my old ways again as I, for the first time in life, am liking myself and don't want to destroy this.

Has any one else felt like this or gone through this?? :huh:

Replies

• kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I have to say NO because I don't deprive myself of the foods that I love. I know that if I refuse to allow myself to eat them in moderation I could likely binge on them at a later date. Plus, losing weight is a lifestyle change and I want to eat as normally as I plan to when I reach goal, just in smaller portions.
  • AbiNichole
    AbiNichole Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I am also scared of past foods. I like to avoid having to test my self-control but just not ordering them. I've been on this journey for a month and I've had pizza twice both times I was at work. I had 1/2 a slice of NY style pizza from bday parties. It was satisfying but I'm super terrified to actually purchase a whole pizza. I live w/ a roommate that wouldn't notice if I ate the whole thing. I was crazing a Pepsi (my very favorite all time drink in the whole world INCLUDING liquor lol) and so I bought it and immediately poured out half. It was hard. I felt wasteful but I knew if it was down the drain I wouldn't drink it... although I might try lol j/k:laugh: I think the best thing for me is to only order exactly what I can eat. If you want pizza, get it. But just get the exact amount you are allowed to eat. Portion control is king. You've come this far- your willpower is already stronger than you know. :flowerforyou:
  • rodegghero
    rodegghero Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I would try go with some frieds and share a pizza, or make it Yourself!
  • joycemhall
    joycemhall Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have snuck food too,. Maybe I thought if there were no witnesses it didn't count. Regardless the reasons I always felt guilty afterwards, and I wasn't hurting no one but myself. I can honestly say I haven't snuck food since I recently started on this site and started recording all my food. It helps hold me accountable to myself.
  • TeenaMarina
    TeenaMarina Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I have always been an "all or nothing" person. If I let myself eat pizza, I'll eat the whole lot. Same with ice-cream, chocolate... if it's in the house, I will devour it. I understand that everything in moderation is better - I just can't do that. I don't trust myself. So I find substitutes. i let myself have pizza sometimes, but it's a lean cuisine pizza. And I can eat the whole thing and it's ok - then it's gone. I can't have ice-cream, but I freeze Jello Mousse cups and they're amazing, and only 60 calories. So even though I don't trust myself with the old foods, I can still create new "bad" foods to like, and the consequences aren't so bad. Good luck, babe... you are not alone! x
  • PamDW
    PamDW Posts: 246
    Options
    I am avoiding them for the most part... I will have variations of my favorite foods but in a low calorie or healthy choice... I am not afraid of down the road... I feel like this journey has re-taught me discipline and moderation. I don't allow myself very many cheat days, but when I have they have not effected my weight loss any.... the only way to learn your body and its reacction to such is giving yourself some lee-way... but when you do it, just remind yourself of why you are in this in the first place... state of mind
  • Minoesh
    Minoesh Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hi Stephanie, I completely know where you're coming from - I have always been an all or nothing kind of girl and couldn't have just a small piece of chocolate without eating the whole slab etc etc! I started putting things in place about 4 years ago to change my lifestyle a little bit at a time and I found as time went on and the more weight I lost, the easier it got to say no to foods that I knew were a problem for me. My problem was comfort eating and I think I am now at the stage where I can recognise certain cravings as coming from an emotional place. I too have a fear of certain foods but I allow myself a treat every now and then and that seems to work fine - but I never did that in the first three years because I felt I needed to sever the emotional attachment I had to certain foods, I think I have now accomplished that and can have a small piece of chocolate or a little ice-cream without feeling as if I am a complete failure and therefore giving up. I'm not sure if that is helpful or if it makes any sense to you, let me know and good luck with your journey :smile:
  • melissahann2010
    Options
    YES you described me to a 'T' lol I am still very tempted by take out and yummy snacks, i have resorted to the all bran and fibre 1 bars that have a little bit of chocolate in them just to hit that temptaion, I have also made smater choices when it comes to fast food, and if i do eat out i have the healthier choices and smaller portions, it seems to be working, the one thing i have stayed away from is the pop even tho i have always drank diet pop, just the thought of it makes me crave it and since i have stopped drinking it i feel better! the only problem i still struggle with is when im by myself i want to cheat just to have that taste of the old food i loved so much, but then i think how i used to feel and where i have gotten from eaten them.. its hard and i dont think the cravings will ever really go away !