Walking at Walmart....

Options
Okay, may sound silly but, does walking around Walmart, pusing a cart full of groceries and two toddlers for 45 minutes count as exercise? I think it does...lol I logged it as walking at a slow pace.....is this okay?

Replies

• chelledepriest
    Options
    I often think the same thing when I go on my shopping trips every two weeks! I don't log it just because I talk myself into taking a day off when I really just need to get up and move more!!
  • shannonshock13
    shannonshock13 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    i would think so!

if it were me i would shave like 10minutes off the time though to account for standing looking at prices and grabbing groceries. Unless you are able to grab your stuff without stopping haha :bigsmile:

but then again if you had your activity level set to something higher than sedentary then maybe you wouldn't log this...
  • luckiarmywife
    Options
    Oh, I went to Walmart for groceries, etc. Then I cam home and did another 35 minutes of cardio training, elliptical and weight training. I didn't use it as an excuse...but I could see myself doing that...lol However, my whole life of being fat is one excuse after another. Im over lying to myself. MOVE is my favorite word... :smile:
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    It's a personal choice. I don't count my shopping trips as exercise, even when I spend hours at the mall. I only count dedicated exercise that makes me work up a sweat.
  • luckiarmywife
    Options
    i would think so!

if it were me i would shave like 10minutes off the time though to account for standing looking at prices and grabbing groceries. Unless you are able to grab your stuff without stopping haha :bigsmile:

but then again if you had your activity level set to something higher than sedentary then maybe you wouldn't log this...

SuperMarket Sweep?!? Haha! :laugh:
  • luckiarmywife
    Options
    I guess I could not add it then it would just be extra movement for me? :tongue:
  • purplespeckle
    Options
    Okay, may sound silly but, does walking around Walmart, pusing a cart full of groceries and two toddlers for 45 minutes count as exercise? I think it does...lol I logged it as walking at a slow pace.....is this okay?

I never log shopping trips but I'd definitely count it as a calorie burner. Mine is w/o toddlers too so kudos to you! lol
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    i dont log mine, I just consider it a freebie workout that will pay off in the long run..
  • SweetP88
    SweetP88 Posts: 79
    Options
    I don't count stuff like that or cleaning.....I figure that is part of everyday life!! I figure if it actually did count then I would not need to be on MFP cause I would already be a skeleton. :tongue: I only count it if I exercise to the point that I break a good sweat for over 30 minutes!!
  • shannonshock13
    shannonshock13 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    i would think so!

SuperMarket Sweep?!? Haha! :laugh:

That's totally what it made me think of hahaha
  • sarahazelnut99
    sarahazelnut99 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    i dont log shopping trips only because i end up needing to stop and look at products and those interval are calorie killers lol
    but whatever works! im sort of upset they dont have sex on here as a calorie burner honestly
  • luckiarmywife
    Options
    AND trust me, I work up a sweat...with my kids, yeah. And my heart rate definately goes up from the mild panic attacks while Im there....and I would think its got some wrestling in there too....lol
  • Charli666
    Charli666 Posts: 407
    Options
    if i dont usually do it, so not an ordinary shop, like yesterday me and my hubby walked around city centre for like 5 hours shopping for games for him, (usually i'd stay at home while he did this) then i half the time and log it.

If its my weekly/monthly etc shop thats usual for me, i figure its all accounted for in my calorie allowance, and dont log it.

The choice is yours, but i'd rather have a bonus loss, than risk the gain
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    ANYTHING THAT MOVES YOUR BODY, IS EXERCISE, WALKING, FAST OR SLOW, CLEANING,' A WORKOUT RUNNING, SIT UPS, GROCERY SHOPPING IT'S ALL MOVEMENT. JUST TRY TO NOT STOP AND ATRART ANYMORE THAT YOU HAVE TO, AND DRINK WATER. ALSO, I PARK VERY FAR FROM THE STORE I AM GOING TO,EXTRA WALK!! GOOD LUCK,RED
  • alazarus
    alazarus Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If that's an actvity that's part of your usual routine, then I'm going to say no.

If that's the kind of stuff you were doing when you gained weight, obviously it wasn't enough "exercise" to keep you in shape in the first place, and it's not going to get you back in shape. I'm not trying to be harsh, and I'm sure that's very demanding (shopping with kids-- I couldn't do it!), but once we start substituting true exercise for everyday chores, we start cheating ourselves.

Whenever I'm doing every day activity (up and down the stairs with heavy laundry baskets, walking down the hall at the office) I don't count it as exercise-- it's just life, it's like breathing. But my exercie is time to myself, when I'm purposefully doing something for me that will improve my life (running, power walking, yoga)-- walking around a store with kids doesn't sound like it fits the bill!
  • luckiarmywife
    Options
    I was just asking myself the same question about sex.....thats weird....hubby says he don't understand it either...just out of curiousity I wonder...lol
  • Charli666
    Charli666 Posts: 407
    Options
    i dont log shopping trips only because i end up needing to stop and look at products and those interval are calorie killers lol
    but whatever works! im sort of upset they dont have sex on here as a calorie burner honestly

I thought that, then wore my HRM, its doesn't burn as much as you'd think lol
  • luckiarmywife
    Options
    I usually shop once or twice a week and clean pretty heavily all week...Im kinda OCD about my house, plus my hubby is too...so my trips to Walmart are not very often. I logged it, just because its movement, period. However, the more I progress...the less often I will add that as movement because I will be lighter, "hopefully". :wink:
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't log it as additional exercise. Errands and house cleaning are just part my normal weekly activities.