Pub Meal Dilemma

Options
Hi. New here (48 hours).

I have just returned from a pub meal:

Steak & ale pie, chips, peas, followed by a "Chocolate Indulgence" ice cream sundae (I know, I know...)

Where do I even begin to enter this into my food diary??? I have no idea of quantities, weights and measures. I could guesstimate to a certain extent for the main course, but the dessert? No idea.

I am contemplating just rounding it all up to 1200 calories (off the top of my head).

Any suggestions would be mucho appreciated.

Replies

• barbarajean3
    barbarajean3 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    1200 may cover the desert but you probly don't want to know the rest. I love pub food and miss it I'm glad someone enjoyed it. I had an anxiety attack over burger king yesterday. Trust me you don't want to know how bad this meal was.:smokin:
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Look them up in the food database here. You would be surprised. I believe the steak and ale pie is on here. pick a similar chip, and similar dessert.
  • yoghurtand
    yoghurtand Posts: 119
    Options
    You'd be surprised at the sheer number of calories that things can have. A few months ago I went to a restaurant and found out that the plate of creamy pasta, salad and cheesecake I had came to a whopping 1500 calories!

I would honestly try and put it all in your log, using your best idea as a measure. If the dessert was in one of those standard massive sundae glasses, it could be 300g or so of ice cream and etc.

Or, you could just chalk it up to a great meal and not worry about it - making sure that you're good for the upcoming week and remembering to make 'better' choices next time. That's what I'd do! ;)
  • Charli666
    Charli666 Posts: 407
    Options
    log it as accurately as you can, guess portion sizes then add a little bit, just to be safe as most people underestimate on guessed amounts, and it will probably be something similar, some pubs have nutritional info on websites, so that might be an option, just do what you can, but do log it somehow
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I had a pub meal on Friday and what I try to do is find the nearest thing in the food database. I'm guessing you're in the UK too, I tend to pick what is closest from supermarkets premium ranges (i.e. Tesco finest, Sainsburys taste the difference) as these tend to have higher fat and calorie contents than the standard range, similar to what you find in a pub. I prefer to do this rather than just quick add calories as you get some idea of the fat and carb content too. If you don't want to go down that route and just want to add calories I would say your estimate of 1200 is pretty close.

Good luck with the continuing weight loss, everyone needs a treat meal sometimes so don't feel bad, I bet that ice cream tasted good.
  • Shmookalink
    Shmookalink Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Aaah, people. You're making me wanna look for a length of rope or a sharp knife!!!

I KNEW I shoulda had the salad!

:cry:
  • nlhawthorne
    Options
    Some pub chains have their nutritional values online - you could see if there are any similar meals on there and estimate the same? Wetherspoons is a good one: http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/food/menu/main/mains-2
  • smileylittleorange
    smileylittleorange Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    do log it cause then you can feel better by earning some of the cals back via exercise!
  • yoghurtand
    yoghurtand Posts: 119
    Options
    Aaah, people. You're making me wanna look for a length of rope or a sharp knife!!!

Don't beat yourself up! As long as it was yummy, I don't see the harm in it being a once in a while thing :P Plus, salads can be just as deadly - especially pub ones - I had a salad with 600 calories once.
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options

You know what you ate it and you probably enjoyed it. Dont beat yourself! Allow yourself to know the fact that you enjoyed and that tomorrow your back to eating healthy. Workout if your gonna to burn some of it off and if your not thats ok too. Keep Positive.
  • Shmookalink
    Options
    Some pub chains have their nutritional values online - you could see if there are any similar meals on there and estimate the same? Wetherspoons is a good one: http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/food/menu/main/mains-2

Nice one! Got this from the site:

01ae4c392d82f0a0a8313f2241858486.jpg

Looks very similar to what I had (how many cals - groan!). Just lookin' for the sundae now...

:happy:

aarrgghh! image won't imbed! anyone know the correct code?
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I'm with a lot of the other posters- it's amazingly sad how many calories things have! Just try to find something similar in the food database so you can get a good estimate. Good luck!
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,275 Member
    Options
    Had the best pasties and English Fish 'n Chips when I visited England years ago. Oh how that would taste so good right now with a pint of beer! Yummy!
  • Shmookalink
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up! As long as it was yummy, I don't see the harm in it being a once in a while thing :P Plus, salads can be just as deadly - especially pub ones - I had a salad with 600 calories once.

A 600 calorie salad! Where on earth can you have a salad laden with 600 calories (I need to know so I can avoid the place!) I had half a "bag" of salad with my evening meal last night and it totalled 8 calories!!!

:smile:
  • Shmookalink
    Options
    Had the best pasties and English Fish 'n Chips when I visited England years ago. Oh how that would taste so good right now with a pint of beer! Yummy!

LOL! I'll email you some!!!
  • sylvia1970
    sylvia1970 Posts: 134
    Options
    perhaps instead of beating yourself up about it, learn from it and instead say to yourself 'right next time i'll make a few changes' start to share a dessert instead of having one all to yourself? regarding the steak and ale pie; well it goes without saying that pastry is so high in calories but you can maybe eat half of the pastry but all the filling.

Its all about little changes. As time goes on you'll will get better at it

good luck
    xx
  • smileylittleorange
    smileylittleorange Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    perhaps instead of beating yourself up about it, learn from it and instead say to yourself 'right next time i'll make a few changes' start to share a dessert instead of having one all to yourself? regarding the steak and ale pie; well it goes without saying that pastry is so high in calories but you can maybe eat half of the pastry but all the filling.

Its all about little changes. As time goes on you'll will get better at it

good luck
    xx
    well said that woman :-)
  • reenakainth
    Options
    i did the same today but i dont feel guilty...NOT AT ALL i have been really good for 2 weeks in a row and i was just desperately craving some pie !!! the weather was nice so wanted to enjoy....i wanted a glass of wine in the beer garden tooo but i didnt...i only had

steak and ale pie with chips and peas followed by a choclate orange tart which i shared....must be around 1400 calories...im not going to the gym today either but will go tomrow and be a good girl next week...i told myself i would be having a cheat day today ...but i thnk i missed the treat thing and went straight to the indulge urself madly badly thing....

life is for living....its good to let go occasionaly i will refocus tomorw and get into again....

lots of naughty snacks as well today oh dear!!!