hummus??

Options
Never had hummus before and I want to try it, what do you suggest?? flavors, what to eat it with etc

Replies

• coderedcoderedjkjk
    Options
    Regular hummus :3 I don't like all the other flavors. It's soooo good though!
  • Risabamfo
    Risabamfo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Sabra brand is really good but can be pricey.
  • CuteMommy88
    CuteMommy88 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    thanks, i just have no experience with it so i have no idea what to eat it with and i have seen so many different flavors, i hate to spend money on something without knowing anything about it LOL
  • jill5cents
    jill5cents Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love hummus! I'd never had it before about a year ago. I like all of the flavors better than just plain. I dip any kind of vegetable in it, just go easy on it because it's not exactly low cal. You can also put garbanzo beans (base for hummus) on a salad, in soup, etc.
  • ashleynicoleb
    ashleynicoleb Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Mmmm I love hummus! Not too picky with the brands either. A lot of people like to eat carrots and hummus. I absolutely love hummus with pita bread that aren't too high in calories. I'm sure its good with crackers, too. Basically good with anything and everything LOL :smile:
  • Aubers
    Aubers Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    We like the roasted pepper and the garlic lovers hummus. Usually I eat it with a whole wheat pita bread, but just recently I heard it was yummy with baby carrots. Now I LOVE it with baby carrots. I know lots of people enjoy it with pepper strips, but we're not big fans of raw peppers here.
  • cm80123
    cm80123 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I love hummus. I use it when I make a wrap instead of mayo. I also have it as one of my snacks during the day. I usually dip sliced zucchinni or cut up peppers.
  • jwstew007
    jwstew007 Posts: 67
    Options
    I like the original hummus from target, taste just like a garlic bean dip, love the stuff
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I also love hummus. All it ease is chickpeas that are pureed mixed with olive oil and other flavors. Regular usually is made with olive oil, garlic, and salt, I believe. There are many different varieties to choose from. The only one I've ever tried that I wasn't too fond of was the pizza flavor. I will spread it on rice cakes, pitas, dip veggies in it, etc. You can make your own with garbanzo beans or chickpeas. There are tons of recipes out there for hummus. Enjoy!!
  • Kiwijay
    Kiwijay Posts: 216
    Options
    hummus is delicious, I can't help with brands but roasted garlic is my fave! Look up recipes it is sooooo easy to make and delicious because then you can play around with the flavours. Check out www.healthyfood.co.nz and fond a recipe there. The site is worth looking through too. Recipes are easy, delicious and healthy. Enjoy!!!
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Sabra brand is really good but can be pricey.

I second that. Eat it with pita!
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    best hummous is the one you make yourself: chickpea, tahini paste (or not)lemon juice, olive oil, cumin, salt/pepper + any extras you may like ex: roasted red peppers
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    omg i love hummus! i eat it with pita, veggies, crackers...my favorite is roasted red pepper hummus, but i like the original too.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    I LOVE hummus!!! I like any flavor, but garlic is my favorite. I like to put a couple tablespoons on my salad and drizzle with lemon instead of using salad dressing. I also use it on sandwhiches instead of mayo!!
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I eat Sabra also. Start with classic. Other flavors I like are roasted red pepper, olive, spinach and artichoke! I LOVE to dip raw bell pepper slices in hummus! Delicious. Also try it on wheat thins or triscuits! Can't go wrong!
  • cheangela
    cheangela Posts: 173
    Options
    MMMMMM!!!

I like original varieties in most brands, but my heart goes out to the Athenos garlic lovers version. What I recommend is seeing if your town has an authentic mediteranean shop that makes hummus fresh on the spot. If not, the packaged stuff is always good, but remember, the less ingredients... the healthier the hummus.

Cucumbers and hummus are seriously my secret addiction. The fiance likes triscuits and hummus, however, be sure to read the ingredients to make sure you're not throwing a bunch of MSG into your piehole (monosodium glutonate if I'm spelling it right and/or am not remembering right -- I know evil when I see it :-)).

On a completely unrelated note: I also love green peppers and salsa for a snack too... especially for those times I would normally crave chips and salsa.
  • cheangela
    cheangela Posts: 173
    Options
    By the way... if you end up with the hummus addiction too... Costco has cheap-ish bins of it for the same price you would normally pay for a quality little bin of it.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I like chickpeas and make a delicious tuna salad with it and curry dinner but I HATE hummus! Both the bought kind that has more fat and when I made my own low-fat kind w/o oil. Despite lots of garlic it was just too bland, garlic couldn’t save it.
  • Toniteach
    Toniteach Posts: 12
    Options
    I have to "third" the Sabra brand. I get it at Costco, but I believe it's in many supermarkets. ENJOY!
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I like all bean dips including hummus, especially when they're hot & spicy or filled with garlic. Unfortunately, the beans used in hummus (garbanzo chick pea) does not agree with me so I often make and eat my own black bean or white bean dips.

I use bean dip as a protein and fat replacement in high fiber tortillas, lettuce wraps, as a filler for celery sticks (as opposed to peanut butter or cheese spread), as a dip for veggies (broccoli & cauliflower are my favorites), warmed with a half cup of brown & wild rice, in mashed potatoes, on toast with sliced cucumber, as a thick rich sauce for multigrain pasta, and sometimes I add a large dollop in homemade tomato, squash or pumpkin soup.

The options are endless if you use your creativity.