Half marathon ? for experienced runners

Options
annhjk
annhjk Posts: 794 Member
I'd decided to do a half marathon in May. Thought it would be a great weekend since school was done and there wasn't anything going on. Just went to register and they changed weekends. Now it'll be the Saturday after we get back from Cancun.

My question is - do you think i'll be okay? I"m nervous about training, then having an easy week, then having the week before the race to train - but that's supposed to be an relatively easy week. I guess we'll get back on Saturday so I could still do a long run on Sunday, the race the following Saturday.

I've been running for about 4 years, usually get about 15-20 miles a week on average, spin, lift weights, - basically something 6 days a week, burning about 3200 cals a week. I know I'll get some running in while I'm on vacation, I just wasn't planning on doing any long runs. I think I should be okay, but I'm hoping to get under 2 hrs (my other 2 were both 2:05. I have plenty of time to train before it since the race isn't til June 11.

Replies

• jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    The question is how healthy are you and how far do you normally run at a time? I don't know you but for most people, based on the info provided, I would suggest the following;

To do it under 2 hrs and without training... You would in my opinion be risking injury.
  • menjivas
    menjivas Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I honestly think you'll be fine and will be able to achieve your goal. The last week before race is usually a race week and you only have a few two three mile runs. With that in mind, the fact that you will be in Cancun the week before shouldn't be a problem.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    im on holiday the week before my half marathon in october. I read that it was good to have a restful-ish few days/week before a big run
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    The question is how healthy are you and how far do you normally run at a time? I don't know you but for most people, based on the info provided, I would suggest the following;

To do it under 2 hrs and without training... You would in my opinion be risking injury.

I'm healthy by most standards. Just trying to get my body fat down now (24% and 35 yr old). I usually run 5-6 miles if I'm outside, 4-5 on a tread because I get bored. Last week I did an 8 mile run and felt fine afterwards. I just felt like I started to bonk at about mile 7. After I added up my miles last week I was at 26 miles - no pain, but felt burned out (could be I painted 2 rooms, on top of all the running too). My normal week is Monday, run 5-6 or spin, Tues, Thur, Sat - Chalean Extreme, Wed - Chalean interval 2 mile fast pace run, Fri spin, sun - rest.

I know I'm supposed to have an easy week the 5-6 days leading up to it, but a normal training week the week we're in cancun, thus the debate on whether to run or not.

I might have to drive 45 min away and do a different one. At least I could do a normal training week that way!
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I dont see why you cant do it. You can train your *kitten* off and have a horrible race. My BEST marathon time was with the least amt of miles in training. I never did the 20 miler that time around and I only hit 16 as the highest but I did it more often..Its not like this is your first 1/2 and you are in shape. Just modify those 2 weeks. Some people dont run using a 7 day wk programs..They may use a 10 or longer day program. I may do a 50 miler in the fall and its not using a 7 day wk program..I think its 10 days..So you get breaks b/w the long runs.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    If you can already do 8 miles, you have the better part of a month to train to build up to.

Take that time to add a little distance to your long runs (add 1 mile per week maybe?).

You shoud be fine.