Easy Protein

Options
I have a really hard time getting enough protein in my daily diet. I just really don't prefer to eat much meat at all and rarely eat beans either. I just prefer fruits/veggies with a little meat thrown in. I have struggled my entire life with anemia because of this lifestyle and it's gotten worse lately. Is there a fairly easy way to get a good amount of protein and iron that won't kill my calorie count for the day?

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    yogurt, cottage cheese-watch the sodium.
    milk, protein bars and powders.
    Cheese too, but watch saturated fats.
  • pj_writer
    pj_writer Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    protein shakes are great for protein (you can get whey based ones or soya) but won't help with your iron levels.
    If you eat plenty of leafy greens that should help with the iron though? spinach, brocolli etc
  • lnadeau66
    lnadeau66 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    check out this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/202564-lo-cal-protein people posted some great ideas
  • Isa25
    Isa25 Posts: 46
    Options
    Greek yogurt! No fat, WAY less sugar than regular yogurt... Only 80 cals and 16 g protein per serving.
  • moonbaby487
    Options
    Protein bars are wonderful, especially if you can find ones low in sugar. They usually have anywhere from 8 to 12 grams. I know you don't care much for meat, but Chicken of the Sea Salmon packets are so small, savory, 70 calories and a GREAT way to add in 13 grams of protein without a large serving of meat.
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I'm taking this verbatim from my vegan website. Thought it might help you.

Protein
    "The body needs 22 amino acids to thrive, eight of which the body cannot manufacture and therefore needs to obtain them from food. Protein exists in every living thing in varying degrees. Obviously we've all been taught meat is the most valuable protein source. However a cooked vegan diet includes protein sources such as tofu, miso, soy beans and their many by products, and cooked beans, lentils, and grains. In a raw vegan diet the highest sources of amino acids come from green leafy vegetables, nuts, seeds, sprouted grains and sprouted beans including: spinach, kale, broccoli, sprouted wild rice, carob, cacao, oats, raisins, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, sprouted wheat, sprouted buckwheat, sprouted barley, sprouted millet, sprouted quinoa, sprouted soya beans, almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, macadamia nuts, peanuts, hemp seeds, hemp protein powder, mung beans, lentils, aduki, chickpeas, spirulina, alfalfa, maca, avocado, and many more.

Hemp hearts contain all the required proteins and essential fats, many vitamins and enzymes, and only small insignificant quantities of saturated fats and carbohydrates. Too, hemp hearts have no known allergens which are great for vegans with gluten sensitivities. Legumes include alfalfa, clover, peas, beans, lentils, lupins, mesquite, carob, soy, and peanuts. Of all the legumes edamame beans rank highest in protein and iron. 100g of Edamame contains 12g of protein and is an excellent source of potassium, magnesium, iron, folic acid, phosphorus, copper, niacin, riboflavin, vitamin B6, zinc, thiamine, and calcium.

Of nuts and seeds, peanuts contain the most protein. 37g per cup. Pumpkin seeds contain 33g, sunflower seeds 32g, and almonds 28g.

When it comes to grains, 100g of oats contains 26g of protein. 100g of quinoa (pronounced keen-wa) packs 14g of protein and is a complete protein source, meaning it contain all eight essential amino acids. Amaranth contains 14g of protein for every 100g of grain."

B12 & Iron
    "There's been a lot of controversy over the years about vegan diets not providing sufficient B12 or iron sources. I tend to think of deficiencies as more of an individual thing as opposed to a general rule of thumb. Not all vegans consume the exact same foods in the exact same quantities. I know some vegans who eat mostly packaged foods while my diet is mostly raw. Too, physical factors affect consumption of food. For example, in spite of being considerably active, I have low thyroid and a slow metabolism. That means I eat considerably less than someone who is inactive yet has an overactive thyroid and fast metabolism. Thus compared to someone with an overactive thyroid who eats all the time, I may not get all the necessary B12 and iron in my daily consumption.

In order to avoid deficiencies be savvy in your eating and consider your individual dietary needs. Too, listen to your body's natural cravings, not the ones you operate from habit. Because I have an under-active thyroid, slow metabolism, borderline anemia, and low blood pressure I consume relatively high doses of licorice root, beet and carrot juice, pumpkin seeds, blackstrap molasses, curry powders, fruits and vegetables high in vitamin C, and periodically aim for higher sodium intakes. By listening to my body's natural cravings - for example when I actually crave salty foods - I know what and when to feed my body.

To ensure you receive adequate doses of vitamin B12 and iron, consider including the following foods in your diet. Vegan sources of B12 include tofus, tempehs, sea vegetables, nutritional yeast, and algae. Herbal food sources include alfalfa, burdock root, catnip, cayenne, chamomile, chickweed, dandelion, eyebright, fennel, fenugreek, ginseng, hops, maca, nettle, oat straw, parsley, peppermint, raspberry leaf, red clover, rose hips and sage.

Nutritional yeast is an inactive yeast fermented from sugarcane and beet molasses. Fortified with B12, nutritional yeast is a complete protein and contains B-complex vitamins including niacin, thiamin, biotin, and folic acid. It also contains selenium, chromium, zinc, phosphorus, and magnesium. Nutritional yeast is yellow to brown in color, cheesy in taste and taste great sprinkled on popcorn, salads, and pizza. The daily recommended dose should not exceed two to three tablespoons per person per day. NB: Raw vegans should note that nutritional yeast is not a raw food.

Spirulina is the perfect anti-anemia food containing up to twenty times more iron than any other food source. It is also rich in beta-carotene, gamma-linolenic acid, vitamin B1, B2, B6, B12, D, E, pantothenic acid, biotin, folic acid, and niacin. Spirulina contains all eight essential amino acids and is a complete protein weighing in at approximately 65-71 percent. Non essential amino acids include alanine, arginine, aspartic acid, cystine, glutamic acid, histidine, proline, serine, and tyrosine.

High in calcium, magnesium, and iron, tofu is made from soy milk. Excellent curried or stir fried, tofu has no flavor and takes on the flavor of whatever food it is cooked with. Tofu tastes great in lasagna, stews, and chili too. 81grams of tofu contains 6.5 grams of protein.Iron rich foods should include cooked or sprouted beans and lentils, maca, blackstrap molasses, pumpkin seeds, sprouted whole grains, beets and their juices, dried organic peaches, prune juice dates, curry powders, watercress, dandelion, parsley, kale, mustard greens, broccoli, bok choy, carrots, asparagus, nettle leaves, alfalfa, spirulina, and red raspberry leaves.To promote iron absorption consume iron rich foods with foods rich in vitamin C and avoid consuming caffeinated beverages, alcohol, and calcium supplements with iron rich meals. To ensure you receive optimal amounts of B12 and iron, consume different foods each day. Consider a rotational diet to avoid deficiencies. Mix it up and never eat the same foods day after day. If you eat large quantities of the same foods day after day, for example nuts, mangos, mustard greens, tomatoes, cabbage, cacao, strawberries, spinach and soybeans, you significantly reduce your body's ability to absorb iron properly. By consuming different foods every day you ensure maximum absorption of all the necessary vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates, fats and proteins your body needs."

Hope you find this helpful.
  • ashleighk2010
    Options
    I have ended up taking Women's One A Day vitamins because I simply don't get the iron I need from food. But protein is a fun one- lots of yummy protein substitutes for meat like peanut butter, nuts & protein shakes (a lot of people on here swear by them.)
  • ProudMomoftwo
    Options
    My daughter has had an issue with protein deficiency since she turned 11. Over they yrs we have gotten really good at finding high protein foods that solve this problem.
    Peanut butter ( on apple slices, crackers, or in sandwiches)
    Cottage cheese ( by itself on on salad)
    Hard boiled eggs ( by themselves or in salads )
    String cheese ( great to take along )
    Beef jerky ( teriyaki flavor is the BEST but there are many options and it travels well)
    Protein bars (for those times when she won't know what will be offered at meals - like at camp etc).
    Mixed nuts
    Milk ( flavored if you like it that way)
    adding yogurt & wheat germ to fruit smoothies
    Oatmeal made with milk

I can't think of any others right now.
    When you go to the store, make sure to look at the label and don't bother buying it unless the PROTEIN is 5 +.
    If the protein isn't at LEAST 5 - you are buying a sugar high and nothing that will hold you over until the next meal.
    Best of luck
  • dru_howard
    Options
    I love cottage cheese and milk but sometimes don't even think about those as protein options. Thanks for the reminder. Also, my goals has my protein set to 91/day. Is that reasonable? It seems REALLY high to me as well.
  • ProudMomoftwo
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Glad I could help.
    My daily protein value is only 45.
    I don't know why yours is so high.
    Hmmm...(thinking)
  • dru_howard
    Options
    50 is the recommended daily allowance so I think that is a fairly good amount. I am just shooting for that for now and we'll see how it goes.