VERY interesting article re alcohol consumption

Options
chrisdavey
chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html

Summary

* Moderate alcohol consumption is assocoiated with an abundance of health benefits. The long-term effect on insulin sensitivity and body weight (via insulin or decreased appetite) may be of particular interest to us.

* The thermic effect of alcohol is high and the real caloric value is not 7.1 kcal: it's ~5.6 kcal. However, it's still easy to overconsume calories by drinking. Calorie for calorie, the short-term effect of alcohol on satiety is low. Adding to this, intoxication may also encourage overeating by disinhibition of dietary restraint.

* The negative effects of alcohol on testosterone and recovery has been grossly exaggerated by the fitness mainstream. Excluding very high acute alcohol consumption, or prolonged and daily consumption, the effect is non-significant and unlikely to affect muscle gains or training adaptations negatively.

* The effect of alcohol on muscle protein synthesis is unknown in normal human subjects. It is not unlikely to assume that a negative effect exists, but it is very unlikely that it is of such a profound magnitude that some people would have you believe.

* Alcohol is converted to acetate by the liver. The oxidation of acetate takes precedence over other nutrients and is oxidized to carbon dioxide and water. However, despite being a potent inhibitor of lipolysis, alcohol/acetate alone cannot cause fat gain by itself. It's all the junk people eat in conjunction with alcohol intake that causes fat gain.

How to lose fat or prevent fat gain when drinking

Now that you understand the effect of alcohol on substrate metabolism, it's time for me to reveal how you can make alcohol work for fat loss. Alternatively, how you can drink on a regular basis without any fat gain. Without having to count calories and while drinking as much as you want.

Apply this method exactly as I have laid it out. If you've paid attention, you'll understand the rationale behind it. I've tested this on myself and on numerous clients. Rest assured that I'm not testing out some large-scale bizarre experiment here.

The rules are as follows:

* For this day, restrict your intake of dietary fat to 0.3 g/kg body weight (or as close to this figure as possible).

* Limit carbs to 1.5 g/kg body weight. Get all carbs from veggies and the tag-along carbs in some protein sources. You'll also want to limit carbohydrate-rich alcohol sources such as drinks made with fruit juices and beer. A 33 cl/12 fl oz of beer contains about 12 g carbs, while a regular Cosmopolitan is about 13 g.

* Good choices of alcohol include dry wines which are very low carb, clocking in at about 0.5-1 g per glass (4 fl oz/115ml). Sweet wines are much higher at 4-6 g per glass. Cognac, gin, rum, scotch, tequila, vodka and whiskey are all basically zero carbs. Dry wines and spirits is what you should be drinking, ideally. Take them straight or mixed with diet soda. (No need to be super-neurotic about this stuff. Drinks should be enjoyed after all. Just be aware that there are better and worse choices out there).

* Eat as much protein as you want. Yes, that's right. Ad libitum. Due to the limit on dietary fat, you need to get your protein from lean sources. Protein sources such as low fat cottage cheese, protein powder, chicken, turkey, tuna, pork and egg whites are good sources of protein this day.

* For effective fat loss, this should be limited to one evening per week. Apply the protocol and you will lose fat on a weekly basis as long as your diet is on point for the rest of the week.

Basically, the nutritional strategy I have outlined here is all about focusing on substrates that are least likely to cause net synthesis of fat during hypercaloric conditions. Alcohol and protein, your main macronutrients this day, are extremely poor precursors for de novo lipogenesis. Alcohol suppresses fat oxidation, but by depriving yourself of dietary fat during alcohol consumption, you won't be storing anything. Nor will protein cause any measurable de novo lipogenesis. High protein intake will also compensate for the weak effect of alcohol on satiety and make you less likely to blow your diet when you're drinking.

By the way, a nice bonus after a night of drinking is that it effectively rids you of water retention. You may experience the "whoosh"-effect, which I've talked about in my two-part series about water retention. That in itself can be motivating for folks who've been experiencing a plateau in their weight loss.

Apply this with good judgement and don't go out and do something stupid now. Remember, this a short-term strategy for those that want to be able to drink freely* without significantly impacting fat loss progress or causing unwanted fat gain. It's not something I encourage people to do on a daily basis, but it's one of the strategies that I apply for maintaining low body fat for myself and my clients.

* Now of course...you can always drink in moderation and make sure to not go over your calorie budget for the day. But what fun is there in that? I'd rather cheat the system with the kind metabolic mischief I've layed out above.

Replies

• patattheshire
    patattheshire Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    thankyou very good post from someone who has gone from drinking socially to a couple of times a week limited to 3 glasses of vodka and soda
    thanks pat
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    no probs :)
  • larsbeachgirl
    Options
    Great post Chris :D very interesting!!... So I guess I can have my Black Russians guilt free ;) LOL (if I had diet coke...)
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Something to note which the article isn't 100% clear on is that you won't instantly start gaining body fat if you were to consume more fat and carbs than he is recommending. You still need to go above your maintenance cals. So drink your black russians (good choice BTW :P) and hit the dance floor to burn some cals :P
  • marielenrdz
    marielenrdz Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    So glad to have found this post!!! I hated giving up my occasional nights out. I'm wary of wine and spirits, though because I'm not sure how I'll tolerate them. I HATE next day hangovers!! I think I'll have to experiment a bit. I usually stick to michelob ultra. But If I could get virtually zero carbs and fewer calories with some clear liquor and diet sprite...maybe that will cause less damage!
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Great article!

One thing I don't agree with is the protein comment though. Too much protein is very bad for your kidneys.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Great article!

One thing I don't agree with is the protein comment though. Too much protein is very bad for your kidneys.

People repeat this misinformation constantly. Protein is not going to damage healthy kidneys. I have no idea where this myth began, but I'm ready for it to be retired.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Great article!

People repeat this misinformation constantly. Protein is not going to damage healthy kidneys. I have no idea where this myth began, but I'm ready for it to be retired.

agreed
  • exacerbe
    Options
    Great article!

agreed

I'm not trying to argue but there is plenty of medical documentation written by MDs and RDs: such as:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-protein-diets/AN00847

I've never heard: high amounts of protein is good for you kidneys. Your kidneys filter toxins and wastes. When your body is in excess of a nutrient, whether it be a vitamin, mineral, protein, or Ketosis waste, it filters it out through your urine. What filters? Liver metabolic cycle and kidney filtration. Too much stuff to filter out? More work for your organ. Stressed organ? Bad.

Yes through working out and lifting weights, your body uses protein to repair damaged muscles. But you can still overdo it.

We all know drinking alcohol in moderation can be good for the heart but excess drinking is bad. How is excess protein any different?
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    He is talking about one day :) Don't get smashed every day and have mega protein and all good then.

Which is probably good advice anyway.
  • CherylYMerritt
    CherylYMerritt Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    bump, very interesting!
    Cheers!
  • exacerbe
    Options
    He is talking about one day :) Don't get smashed every day and have mega protein and all good then.

Which is probably good advice anyway.

Ha, true =). I guess moderation is always the key.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Great article!

agreed

I'm not trying to argue but there is plenty of medical documentation written by MDs and RDs: such as:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-protein-diets/AN00847

I've never heard: high amounts of protein is good for you kidneys. Your kidneys filter toxins and wastes. When your body is in excess of a nutrient, whether it be a vitamin, mineral, protein, or Ketosis waste, it filters it out through your urine. What filters? Liver metabolic cycle and kidney filtration. Too much stuff to filter out? More work for your organ. Stressed organ? Bad.

Yes through working out and lifting weights, your body uses protein to repair damaged muscles. But you can still overdo it.

We all know drinking alcohol in moderation can be good for the heart but excess drinking is bad. How is excess protein any different?

Your linked article says exactly what I said-protein doesn't hurt HEALTHY kidneys.

We get excesses of lots of macro and micronutrients every single day. Very few of them kill us or even hurt us.

Comparing alcohol to protein is not an apt comparison, considering that alcohol is a toxin and protein is necessary for life.