Tanning lotion or Tanning bed???

Options
Dreamerlove
Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
GIRLS!!! I am 23 and every year I tan in a bed from around April-July-ish. I now have wrinkles on my chest......yuck! I know its from tanning, so this year I bought Loreal tanning lotion/bronzer and I really like it, but if I don't put in on just right then I will have streaks and it will come off in the ocean. So my question is ladies or gents, do you just suck it up while we are young and tan in the summer, or do just go all natural?

I wish I could be a pretty pale, but I am PALE and it is NOT pretty!!!

Replies

• kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    I'm pale and am OK with it..but have you thought about going for a spray tan,..I have a few friend that love it and it looks great/natural

Kim
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Tanning... in my opinion, is just really bad for you. I had a cousin who died at 27 of skin cancer so I'm totally anti-tan. I love to be outside and slather myself in sunscreen because I'm really pale too! If I do think I need that "glow" I like the Jergen's self tanning lotions, I get the light one. If you use it daily (even twice a day) you can build up a nice glow and best of all you're all moisturized!!!

My mom used to work at a tanning salon when I was younger and it totally ruined her skin.. she really regrets that!!!! I'm 38 and have been told I look really young because my skin is so nice! I'd rather be young and pale than all yucky and wrinkly!!!!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I just don't tan. It's not worth the wrinkles or risk of skin cancer.
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I don't go in the sun to specifically tan. If I'm out there, it's not for long, and if it is, I throw on the SPF.

There's tons of other methods you can use. Lots of streak-free bronzers that are really high quality. I bought a bronzing argan moisturizer that I love (gives a nice bronze glow to my skin) and you can always touch up with some bronzing powder. Or, you can take that money you spend on the tanning beds and put it towards a spray tan once a week. They have become better and I don't think they are too outrageously expensive. Besides, you only have this one cover of skin, so I think it's better to take care of it.
  • Tandksmommy11
    Tandksmommy11 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I don't slather myself in sunscreen when I go out into the sun, but I don't deliberately go lay in a tanning bed (anymore) either. I'd rather be pale, then look like I'm 60 when I'm 30. I'd either stick with the lotions or just go au naturale! I hate that society has deemed being "tan" sexy..because it's not sexy when you look 20 years older because of wrinkles and skin damage.
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    No to sunbeds, it's dangerous and very ageing . I always used to used Dove moisturising self tan but last year I decided to splash out on the St Tropez one and it was worth every penny.
  • kriswigg
    kriswigg Posts: 95
    Options
    Just say no.....to tanning beds. If you already notice wrinkles, what will your skin look like when you are my age (42.) As a cancer survivor (not skin cancer, granted) I gotta tell you, it just isn't worth it. Tanning lotions keep getting better and better, spray on tanning is as affordable as the beds (not to mention safer) and, it all comes down to, would you rather be tan or dead?
  • freeatlast20
    freeatlast20 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    take it from an older woman....Do Not Get in Tanning Beds. My fiance is battling skin cancer now. He has had 3 melanomas removed and we go tomorrow to have another taken off his ear. When ever we get the financing straight he is looking at a year of chemo therapy, I would avoid them at all cost, I don't tan but any tan i get is just from being outside. Please use the self tanners or like another person said get the spray on type. Best of luck.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    If you really cannot stand the look of yourself pale then opt for self tanners (which wont wash off) or have a spray tan. The stuff that washes off is just too messy and no good if youre dipping into water.

Personally I stay pale but then a fake tan on a redhead would look false because we don't tan...not my colouring anyway (very pale, blue eyes)
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I go tanning once a week (for 12 minutes), and just use a self-tanner in between if necessary :smile: A lot of bed-tanning lotions have bronzer in them, so they'll tan you! I'm a big fan of protan and australian gold products.
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I stay pale pale pale and am proud of it :) If you want a tan I'd stick with the lotions or sprays. Melanoma rates are very high in young women thanks to tanning and can be quite deadly!
  • asj0901
    asj0901 Posts: 141
    Options
    I say if you REALLY want a tan then go a couple of times to the tanning bed to get a base tan. Since you mentioned you will be at the beach, your tan should remain nice and glowing. THere is no reason to continuoulsy tan all summer if you are going to be in the sun anyway. And if you will be in and out of the ocean, I say use a little sunscreen, you will still stay tan. Also its not a bad idea to get a good base tan before hitting the beach to avoid a bad burn, especially after being indoors all winter. (ps I am not a supportor of tanning beds, but if you must use one use sparingly.) Take care.
  • sara21
    sara21 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Definitely the tanning lotion! If you keep tanning, you'll get wrinkles on your face and your chest wrinkles will get worse. My sister in law is 23 and had skin cancer a few years ago from the sun. I prefer the gradual tanning lotion. You put it on for seven days and it gradually makes your skin tan...no streaks....won't wash off...even coverage. I like the HEMP kind.
  • foreverstarstrukk
    Options
    I too am extremely pale! To make matters worse, I usually just burn in the summer instead of tanning! Tanning beds should not even be an option...we all know they are terrible for your skin.

I have tried many sunless tanning products, and they all smell horrible, leave streaks, rub off on clothing or in water, etc.

About 2 years ago, I found the most amazing product. It's called "Ocean Potion Everglow."

Product description: with Gentle Skin Darkener
    Maintain Summer Color 365 Days
    Ocean Potion® Ever Glow™ Daily Moisturizing Lotion is designed to maintain already developed color or create a subtle summer color for light and medium skin tones. Rich natural emollients improve the texture of the skin while enhancing shade retention. Also includes anti-oxidant vitamins A, C, and E to advance skin health. Now ever glowing, healthy skin is yours to keep 365 days a year. Try it...you'll love it!

You can put it on every day, and it doesn't matter if you slap it on quickly or rub it in thoroughly because it is GRADUAL - meaning no streaks! You will notice a difference after about a week or so, and if you continue use it WON'T turn you orange...it just continues to give you an even, sun-kissed glow! You can do it every other day or play around with it once you get to the color you want. PLUS, if you do get any color from the sun this year, it has so many vitamins in it that it will help you maintain your natural tan for longer! And this stuff actually has a nice smell to it (compared to other sunless tanning products)!!! It's awesome and I highly recommend it. You can buy it online and it can usually be found at places like Walmart during summer months. It comes in a large pump bottle for dirt cheap ($4 or $5) - it will last you a long time!

If you don't believe me read the reviews!

http://www.amazon.com/Ocean-Potion-Suncare-Everglow-Moisturizer/dp/B002T5OBO0

- s t a r s t r u k k 3 6 0
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Woman who tan too much end up with skin like deflated footballs or golden raisins. Cancer aside, it looks awful. Use the lotion or spray tan.
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Hsn has a great product called "Tan Towel" I use it, it does not streak, no funny color, smells great and not messy. I also would never ever tan on purpose, the aging acceleration is just not worth it. I wear a 30 on my face all year and a 100 when out playing or walking. I also wear a 100 sph on my bod when in a swim suit.
  • Dreamerlove
    Options
    I too am extremely pale! To make matters worse, I usually just burn in the summer instead of tanning! Tanning beds should not even be an option...we all know they are terrible for your skin.

I have tried many sunless tanning products, and they all smell horrible, leave streaks, rub off on clothing or in water, etc.

About 2 years ago, I found the most amazing product. It's called "Ocean Potion Everglow."

Product description: with Gentle Skin Darkener
    Maintain Summer Color 365 Days
    Ocean Potion® Ever Glow™ Daily Moisturizing Lotion is designed to maintain already developed color or create a subtle summer color for light and medium skin tones. Rich natural emollients improve the texture of the skin while enhancing shade retention. Also includes anti-oxidant vitamins A, C, and E to advance skin health. Now ever glowing, healthy skin is yours to keep 365 days a year. Try it...you'll love it!

You can put it on every day, and it doesn't matter if you slap it on quickly or rub it in thoroughly because it is GRADUAL - meaning no streaks! You will notice a difference after about a week or so, and if you continue use it WON'T turn you orange...it just continues to give you an even, sun-kissed glow! You can do it every other day or play around with it once you get to the color you want. PLUS, if you do get any color from the sun this year, it has so many vitamins in it that it will help you maintain your natural tan for longer! And this stuff actually has a nice smell to it (compared to other sunless tanning products)!!! It's awesome and I highly recommend it. You can buy it online and it can usually be found at places like Walmart during summer months. It comes in a large pump bottle for dirt cheap ($4 or $5) - it will last you a long time!

If you don't believe me read the reviews!

http://www.amazon.com/Ocean-Potion-Suncare-Everglow-Moisturizer/dp/B002T5OBO0

- s t a r s t r u k k 3 6 0

Thanks! That was nice of you to share!! I will go and buy it!!
  • Dreamerlove
    Options
    Thanks everyone for sharing! I won't tan at all, I am going to try to buy the lotion. Girls at my work tan in beds, so I guess I got peer pressured into tanning. =) Love you mfp's!
  • pghfan
    pghfan Posts: 119
    Options
    I am strawberry blond and very fair, and terrified of skin cancer. I have a pool so I'm outdoors a lot in the summer. My kids and their friends call me the "sunscreen nazi". I like Jergens Natural Glow Daily Moisturizer. Just use it in place of your regular lotion. I was sitting on the couch in shorts yesterday and my daughter said "Mom! How are you so tan?" LOL Needless to say, I had to go and buy some for her. It's easy to use, non-streaky (just make sure you have even, thorough coverage and rub it in good), and best of all, it's SAFE and quite inexpensive.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I am almost 50 and live in So Florida. I tanned when younger and let me tell you if you have dmg to your chest now, it will become permenent if you dont stop.

I was about 32 when I fried it for the last time and now it is just plain ugly. My face looks good because I always put 15 sunscreen on...........enuf to get a tan but not burn my face.

I agree with the others that said go get a professional spray tan. It looks good and stays for 3 wks or so.