nutrisystem

Options
Has anyone tried nutrisystem? I am thinking about trying it I just don't know what to expect. If you tried it are you still doing it and how much weight did you lose? Also are there any upsides or downsides to doing nutrisystem?

Replies

• arfdemob5
    arfdemob5 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I tried it. The food is made with tilapia protein...so everything tastes like fish. It was disgusting!
  • Lele71
    Lele71 Posts: 76
    Options
    I did try it and I did lose some weight, but I did gain that weight back when I went off of it. The food was really expensive and that was without adding the fruits and vegetables that I bought at the store.
  • lvnspoonful
    lvnspoonful Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I tried it - it is kinda expensive. You have to add in veggies and dairy so you still have to go grocery shopping. Some of the meals are ok but most of them I thought were gross. I did lose a little bit of weight but I couldnt afford to do it for very long.
  • fullofhope
    fullofhope Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I think it's best to count your own calories and learn the proper food portions. Eating food that is premade does nothing for educating you about portion control, nutrition or calories.
  • pbear22
    pbear22 Posts: 32
    Options
    I tried this and the food is horrible, do not trust the commerical when it says great tasting. Yuck! Like someone already said its best to stick with counting your own calories and such. That away you can eat actually great tasting food.
    For some it does work, but that is if you want to stick with cardboard, horrible tasting foods.

My Aunt did this too and did lose 70 pounds but as soon as she did start getting back to wanting to eating food food again she gained all of that back, so its like one of those things once you start you kinda have to stick to it.

If you do it on your own, you can be in charge of what you eat, just be senseable about it. You get back what effort you put in it. I found that cutting out fast food completly helps, and if by chance you do have to go to a fast food joint, No soda, get water. And eat some healthy, they now have a lot of choices that are healthier then a burger.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I tried it and was really disappointed. Some of the entrees were actually quite tasty, but many were not. It's full of bars and disgusting soups and crap like that as well. (I had tried one of those plans where they choose your foods for you.)

And you are still going to be spedning a LOT of money at the grocery store on fresh fruits and veggies, so the program is pretty expensive. I only did it for 2 months. Didn't lose any more weight than on any other diet.

The one thing it has going for it is convenience. Everything they send you can be eaten instantly or within 2 minutes of microwaving. None of it needs refrigeration. Of course that's also pretty scary when you think about what frankenfood it really is.

Oh, and if you like the sweet stuff, stay close to a bathroom. I don't like sweets all that much, but those who did spoke quite a bit about NutriFarts and diarrhea due to all the sorbitol in the sweeter offerings.
  • ablueskier
    ablueskier Posts: 104
    Options
    I did this for 1.5 months and then couldn't do it anymore and the weight quickly came back. I lost 20 lbs but I think that all came back within a few months.

If you are on the regular plan ( not the frozen meals) the prices seems reasonable at first, until you get your kit and realize how much fresh food you still have to buy to supplement. You also don't learn true portion control from their prepackaged meals. There is something great about being forced to measure your meat portions on their own.

I quit because it was too expensive and the food felt so repetitive. I can make meals of the same type for far cheaper by buying everything fresh.
  • megano_d
    megano_d Posts: 37
    Options
    I did it a couple months, lost 20 lbs, and enjoyed most of the food but I didnt order stuff that I just knew was going to be bad. I stuck to probably about 10 foods. I actually crave their mushroom risotto. The lasagna was decent. The pizza is good. I loved the veggie fajita. The desserts were good and I didnt have any trouble with them. This was the second time I did it and the first time I did notice more of the fish taste, but not on this last round.

However, as everyone said, it doesnt teach you about eating healthy the same way calorie counting does. I didnt gain any weight, but that is likely because when I stopped I went right to MFP. Lets be frank, most people gain weight back because they dont eat right after a diet but that is part of the issue with NS is that you arent learning anything about healthy choices. But still, I lost more weight on it than I have since I switched to regular eating. Not sure what the deal is. I still have some that I eat when I am having a bad night and need to eat something that is portion controlled already. I also use it when I am travelling so that I have something I can easily eat that is healthy in case there arent other options.