Sugar Intake

Options
I'm sure it's been asked before, but I can't find it.

Does anyone on MFP count 100% juices and natural fruits in their sugar intake? I know MFP automatically counts it, but do you subtract it out yourself?

I'm looking at the USDA, and other government sites that suggest what we should eat; most say 5-9 servings of fruits and veggies, and when I look at what makes a serving, it seems like a loooooooooooooooooot of sugar.

Thanks for any help.

Replies

• sweettoughness
    sweettoughness Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The sugar intake suggested by governments and other medical professionals is added sugar. Natural sugar you get in fruit does not count towards your sugar intake unless noted by your doctor. :)
  • carolrayes
    carolrayes Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't agree - ALL sugar, natural or not is processed by your body in the same way. Your body has no idea whether it comes from added sugar or sugar from fruit - it will still give you the same insulin spike which is what you want to avoid. Try to have more vegetables than fruit to get your vitamins, fibre and minerals. Xylitol is something worth investigating if you have a bit of a sweet tooth - has no sugar and is 100% natural and does not cause the insulin spike that fruit/sugar does. I use 50% Xylitol and 50% sugar in my recipes now and no one can tell the difference.
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    The sugars in fruits are not as readily digestible as processed sugars and so don't give the same spike - if you juice, or worse blend then you increase the absorption rate. Cooking is "bad" as is freezing