Chinesse Takeout

Options
OK, we are having take out tonight. I know for sure I will have Hot and Soup (with tofu no pork) but not sure what else to have.

I usually have szechuan or garlic shrimp. I can live with out the rice and will get the sauce on the side.

What do you order and how do you calculate? ANy other ideas on what to have?

Replies

• Hsanders3961
    Hsanders3961 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    "Healthy chinese" is still a work in progress for me, but I usually get the Broccoli Beef and boiled shrimp. The few times we have gone to our chinese buffet here in town (used to be my favorite restaurant) I have managed to only eat around 400 calories...not too bad for a buffet. Good luck and if you find any new low cal menu items, let us all know!
  • kaydee210
    kaydee210 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I always get Steamed Shrimp & Vegetables. Dry. Sauce on the side. Brown rice.
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I order Moo Goo Gai Pan. Chicken and vegetables with a little bit of gravy. It's really yummy and decently healthy. :)
  • v2Fireko
    v2Fireko Posts: 27
    Options
    Generally, chinese take-away is known for their excess, oily food. What I order really depends on the place I order the food from, as I have found some places that use minimum amounts of oil, and better quality food products. If you are unsure of these kinds of things, I'd go for a dish that is "steamed" (eg. Steamed, ginger and garlic chicken -- not their pork buns and the like!). At some take-out places, I even avoid getting my vege dish (garlic bokchoy), since it can be loaded with oils when they cook it. :(
  • JD1805
    JD1805 Posts: 45
    Options
    I love the buddist delight. Nothing but veggies in a nice sauce.
  • PoorGirlEatingHealthy
    Options
    I have this same issue. My hubby and I usually eat Chinese once a week..but gone are the days of fired yummyness. I usually go with egg drop soup (or hot an sour on occasion), steamed vegetable dumplings or ravioli, and a little white or brown rice..or I have steamed veggies with chicken or shrimp, no sauce. As for sauces I always ask for them on the side..I will add a little chilli oil or ginger sauce...I am addicted to duck sauce so i usually dip my fork in that before I stab the food...that way I get the flavor with WAY less calories.
  • daniran
    daniran Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    the soup is good! there is usually a vegetable dish, and many with vegetables and tofu. for meat - stick with the shrimp or try fish lean pork (surprisingly lean pork - not ground is low in calories) or chicken. stay away from fried, breaded, sugary items anything, oh and no noodles.. beef is also very high in calories. Enjoy!..
  • bongowillie
    bongowillie Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    i calculated, by going to the data base and type in chinese buffet, you will get a lot of options, choose the most like one, then typed in, eggroll, cheese ragoon, you should be able to find all you had or like items..you can do this with all restaurant and food..you will also have to check different spelling versions of food items
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I stay far, far, far, fary away from chinese food---the americanized version of chinese food is just not very healthy. You'd be better off making your own stir fry at home in a nice healtyh manner. sorry.
  • CelticWarrior
    Options
    I love General Tso's Chicken and know that is loaded with calories (salt and sugar) , so I decided to find a recipe on the net, a healthier version and I did was 350 calories per serving and I was able to have brown rice and broccoli with it. First time I made I was skeptical, but it didnt taste bad at all. You could tell the difference but was pretty close.

If I order from a chinese place, it's usually just wonton soup and steamed broccoli
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I stay far, far, far, fary away from chinese food---the americanized version of chinese food is just not very healthy. You'd be better off making your own stir fry at home in a nice healtyh manner. sorry.

+1 Absolutely correct.

My first "real job" was actually at a Chinese food joint. You'd pass out if you saw how much salt and sugar they went through. It's as much a good food choice as KFC or McDonald's. Actually, it may be even worse. The cooks that worked there didn't eat the slop they sold to the masses.

If you want Chinese, find a healthy recipe online or in books.