PCOS and wieght loss

Options
Hello Fellow Dieters,

I have been diagnosed with PCOS and I have opted to exercise my way back to health rather than take meds, since it seems that I can correct it myself. I'm wondering, if there are any other people out there who are going through the same issue and what is your game plan. I currently weigh 180lbs and i'm 5.9". With my decision to loose 1lb/ week, I'm suppose to consume 1530 calories which is fine with me, however, I do hit the gym atleast 5days/week and end up running for an hour and climbing stairs attimes. My goal is usually to atleast burn 600 calories, but sometimes i do exceed that goal. When I enter my excercise into the app, it seems like it deducts that many calories and chastises me for consuming less than 1530+600 ( lets say that I burned off). How is this bad? I mean I'm running to shed the freaking weight around my waist right, the more I loose, the better it is, although I do eat or sometimes exceed the 1530 limit.

Thanks for your insight!

Replies

• shulaw
    shulaw Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    hey welcome i too have pcos and though it got out of controll am now taking back that control they would not give me meds becuse i did not go for one test ...seriously after serveral months of being prodded and poked i ddecided i had , had enough so i have been manageing it with no meds for 4 years ..just trying to get the weight off now :) good luck with your journey
  • NoPyForYou
    NoPyForYou Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    PCOS as a condition is generally accompanied by insulin resistance. It's the insulin resistance that is going to be your weight loss hurdle without the help of meds like Metformin. Insulin resistance will fight you every step of the way and makes it very difficult and in some cases extreme cases nearly impossible for you to manage you weight effectively, sans medication. I don't say this to be discouraging, just so you know what you're up against. You'll be fighting the way your system functions, on a very fundamental level.

To answer your question - MFP takes your weight/age/etc and calculates the base number of calories your body needs just to make it through the day. Then is subtracts a set amount, and makes that your calorie goal. (if you check the Goal page - you can see the calculation.) They are a little conservative, but generally, you want to eat as good portion of your exercise calories so that you aren't creating too much of a caloric deficit over the course of the day/week. Yes, it will mean that you're not going to lose a ton of weight in a short period of time, but it also means you will be giving your body the fuel it needs to continue functioning properly and power you through your workouts. A deficit of calories creates weight loss. Too much deficit leads to two things - first, you body will go into starvation mode - meaning it will hold out to EVERYTHING it can, which will lead to weight GAIN. Second, if you continue too long, your body will start cannibalizing your muscle for fuel. All in all, too few calories is almost as bad as too many. It's a balance that you have to strike.
  • forestdancers
    forestdancers Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I too have PCOS.
    I was diagnosed at about 14 but never put on any medication for it.
    I'm working to get healthy and drop about 170lbs and hopefully that will bring my PCOS under control.
    I have found in the past that while I can go years with out my period, if drop some weight and watch my carb intake I tend to get my period more regularly.
  • inaccensa
    inaccensa Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I understand that it will be difficult to loose weight without the medications, but I still want to give it a shot and hope for the best. I have so much added weight around my waist and a lot of belly fat, so any advices to help with that. I like to run, so that is usually what I do when i work out.
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is tougher under your circumstances, but do not fear. It does not require superhuman effort. The glucose load measure is one of your most powerful tools. I'd recommend getting the Low Glucose Diet for Dummies (or something like that). I'd also voice your desire to add GI/GL to MFP here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/190409-glycemic-index-gi-and-glycemic-load-gl

You can do it, keep at it!