In need of advice/support

Options
Let me start out by saying, when I started my life style journey in August of 2010 I weighed 283.3. As of my last weigh-in i weighed 250.0.
Getting there has been a struggle for me. When I first started I did fantastic, i became more aware of the foods AND liquids i put in my body. About five to six weeks in and I completely lost it, then i was able to get a grip and focus on what my goal was. Around the holidays i completely lost sight of what i was doing and decided i wasn't going to be on a "diet" anymore, i'd pick back up after the first of the year. Well the first of the year came and went (lol) I have however the past month has been wonderful and then bam this past week has been horrable. I have had NO self control whatsoever, i know the foods i've been eating are not good for me but continue to eat them. This is what happens though, i do great for 4 or 5 weeks then crash hardcore, i know i'm not the only person this happens to. I'm just asking for some advice on how to try and prevent this from happening, if thats possible. Thanks for listening :)

Replies

• eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Do you severely restrict what you are eating or do you allow yourself to have treats/"bad" foods? If I try and "diet" then I do okay for a few weeks and then all the yummy bad for you foods that I've been denying myself become too tempting and I over indulge. Instead I have a little treat just about daily so i don't fall off the wagon.
  • trixylewis
    trixylewis Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    i myself some kind of treat daily, it really helps and i track those calories too.
  • SLGme
    SLGme Posts: 3
    Options
    I've been on this journey about 3-4 months, but as you say, it's a rocky road. My daughter may join, so having a friend will help us both succeed, I think. I tried a little technique that may help you. Before I eat a meal, I log it in, and that way, I've set a goal to eat only that. It seems to work when I remember to do it. I struggle with rounding out my diet with all the good stuff, so if I plan ahead, it might help. MFP has been a tremendous help and this is the first time I've commented. I think the best advice is that you can't beat yourself up if you have a slip, just pick yourself up and get back on that path you have set for yourself. You are a valuable person and you've already made tremendous progress, so reward yourself in non-food ways often when you log that food in, even if it's over the goal. Log in all that exercise too and it will go better tomorrow. I guess I'm encouraging myself too.:smile:
  • inaccensa
    inaccensa Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know its difficult to see scrumptious food around you and control yourself from savoring some. My enemies are people at work who bring in donuts, bagels etc. This is what i do-I run, so generally my count is if I run for an hour, I will burn 600 calories and now if I eat half of that donut, it will be like 300 calories, can I really run that extra 30minutes to burn off half a donut? Not really, so that basically helps me. If sometimes, I really crave it, I will have a piece, but then I make it a point to add that calories to my workout. This is how I stay on track. I know its not the best way to deal with it, but it helps me.
  • sierraman
    Options
    I think it's a matter of mindset...

We're not on a diet! We are making choices that support health and wellness. We eat whole foods that come from the outside of the grocery store. We don't eat processed food that come in boxes or cans or bags (how far you take this is a personal choice). We develop "treats" that fit into the description above. Yogurt with fruit is a very healthy treat that satisfies a sweet tooth.

When we are human (yes we are allowed to be human) we don't feel guilty or like we've failed or let ourselves or someone else down. We accept that we're human.

We make movement (I dislike the term exercise) a fundamental part of our daily routine. We put ourselves first... ahead of EVERYONE and everything first. We accept and understand that the most valuable gift we can give those who care for us is our health and happiness.

We don't judge other who make different choices. We strive to educate ourselves on an ongoing basis. We keep and open mind. We recognize that there is no quick fix or shortcut. We keep in mind that it took us a lifetime to get where we are and it may take some time to get where we want to be. We revel in each small success and take solace in the fact that there are no failures... just lessons on the road to success.

Chin up! You can do this! There's a wonderful life filled with freedom and adventure waiting out there for you. Enjoy!
  • afries0907
    afries0907 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) I really needed all of that, i'm glad to know their are people in the same boat as i am and know how i feel. I appreciate it.