What to do?

Options
I was wondering how many calories I should consume on days that I don't get a chance to go to the gym? MFP says I should have 1710 a day. I try to get to the gym at least 4-5 times a week, but on the days I can't go, I just wanna know what the safest number of calories to consume without having to worry about gaining.

Replies

• staceyo1211
    staceyo1211 Posts: 163
    Options
    At least 1200. Dont go under that or your body will store it as fat.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    The plan here compensates for calories burned.

If you work out, enter that workout on your profile and it will add an appropriate amount to the calories you have available to consume.

i.e. you are allowed 1710 a day, you work our for an hour worth 500 calories... you can now consume 2210 today.

Clear as mud?
  • Hillbox
    Hillbox Posts: 6
    Options
    Hello, you Do understand that MFP calculates your number of 1710 (which you posted) 500 calories LESS already...

So your already not consumeing 500 calories even when you dont go to the gym. Its important you know that.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    At least 1200. Dont go under that or your body will store it as fat.

What's the most then if it says 1710? Stupid question I know lol
  • beastmode_kitty
    Options
    Hello, you Do understand that MFP calculates your number of 1710 (which you posted) 500 calories LESS already...

So your already not consumeing 500 calories even when you dont go to the gym. Its important you know that.

Oh I know that =). I know to maintain I should have about 2200 calories a day.
  • mcointreau
    Options
    As far as I know, the amount it gives you is the amount you should consume on the days you don't exercise. MFP doesn't assume you actually do the exercise you said you'd do until you enter it in on the exercise tab -- and then it'll give your MORE calories to consume!

This leads most of us to the next question, how many of those exercise calories do you eat back? Answers vary depending upon your fitness goals (toning vs. muscle gain, etc) but from what I've seen most people try to hit somewhere between the MFP original number and the exercise-boosted number...

And don't forget, it's good to have one cheat day a week where you eat whatever you want -- this boosts your metabolism up a lot the following day, and keeps it from slowing down too much over time :)
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    You should be eating 1710 everyday and more on workout days.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, the amount it gives you is the amount you should consume on the days you don't exercise. MFP doesn't assume you actually do the exercise you said you'd do until you enter it in on the exercise tab -- and then it'll give your MORE calories to consume!
    This is correct!
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Oh I know that =). I know to maintain I should have about 2200 calories a day.

You've answered your own question. If you don't want to gain, then don't go over your maintenance calories.
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options

That's it. your (negative) calories to lose weight are all ready taken out if you exercise you need to eat some or all of those calories back. Why some or all lots of reasons do you weight your food, do you count everything you eat, are the numbers (calories right) how much muscle you have what kinds of food you eat I'll have to play with the numbers and figure it out for your body and than keep figuring out as you lose weight and become more fit. Trust MFP systems it works
  • beastmode_kitty
    Options

That's it. your (negative) calories to lose weight are all ready taken out if you exercise you need to eat some or all of those calories back. Why some or all lots of reasons do you weight your food, do you count everything you eat, are the numbers (calories right) how much muscle you have what kinds of food you eat I'll have to play with the numbers and figure it out for your body and than keep figuring out as you lose weight and become more fit. Trust MFP systems it works

I can tell that the system works already, 2 pds since I've started a week ago! =)
  • TLC1975
    TLC1975 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Just remember a calorie is not a calorie....1710 calories of veggies, lean meats and lean fats will help you lose fat and gain muscle effectively, safely and help keep it off, 1710 in cakes, sugars and pops (or other processed sugar laden foods) will not...you may lose weight, but you could lose muscle mass, and this you don't want...so even thou you are reducing calories taken in, watch which calories they are....good luck!