How do YOU stay motivated?

Options
Just curious as to what you do to make yourself work out on the days you just don't want to.

I'm feeling perfectly fine and still have plenty of time to get a work out in today...just don't really want to. However, I'm training for a 5K so I AM going to because my 5K is in 2 weeks and I definitely don't want to get off track being SO close.

Thoughts??

Replies

• Peschuntz
    Peschuntz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    So glad to see this post. I have been struggling to maintain my motivation and would also like to hear from others.
  • amandakay3000
    Options
    specific time of day. If its part of your daily routine you're less likely to skip. and just remember how good you feel knowing that its done for the day.
  • nalont1
    nalont1 Posts: 13
    Options
    Felt that way today as well. I just stop thinking about it, put on the workout clothes and do it. Push play on the workout dvd or head out the door to run. Too much thinking and I can talk myself right out of it.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I just do it. Regret is a sucky feeling, and I'm happy with how far I've come. Even though I know one day won't ruin it, I know it's what needs to be done, and I just go.
  • ZachyABaby
    ZachyABaby Posts: 235
    Options
    Music.

"Like A Rock" always gets to me for some reason. Just kind of inspires me to be better, not sure why. Other than that my motivation level is usually propelled by the resonating feelings left over from whatever good **** I just did.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Music.

"Like A Rock" always gets to me for some reason. Just kind of inspires me to be better, not sure why. Other than that my motivation level is usually propelled by the resonating feelings left over from whatever good **** I just did.

Like...Chevy? lol....that's what I think of when I hear the words "like a rock" :wink:
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I have any great words of wisdom, b/c I've been known to skip a workout :wink:

However, if I do decide not to go to the gym, I make sure to do something else active--walk the dog, clean the house for an hour, mow the lawn--that way I'm still burning some calories, and usually if I skip the gym it's b/c I feel swamped w/ other things on my "to do" list.

As far as motivating myself when I know I have the time, I try to think about why I should go--I have a reunion w/ some friends in a few weeks so that's my current motivation. I also think about long term goals like fitting back into some of my clothes that I really love, but just don't look good in right now. And if I need super-duper motivation, I think about one of my best friends who is a twig and always makes comments like "I just have no use for food lately" or "I can't believe how much weight so and so has gained, she must weigh at least 250 lbs.!" without realizing that I weigh 235. She actually gave me a pair of size 12 pants that are "huge" on her and said--"those will probably fit you, right?" Right! in about 40 lbs. they might. I don't know why that motivates me, but it does.
  • Athena413
    Options
    Hmm...my best friend is getting married May 13th and I have a super cute pair of gray slacks that are a size 16 that I would LOVE to be able to wear to the rehearsal....maybe I'll hang those up in front of my treadmill and run for them! ...kind of like a dog treat that you attach to a fishing pole on the dog's back to hang over its head...lol.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Put the equivalent of your weight loss in a back pack and carry it around for a little while. If that's not a motivator to keep up your exercise program, I don't know what is!
  • ZachyABaby
    ZachyABaby Posts: 235
    Options
    Music.

Like...Chevy? lol....that's what I think of when I hear the words "like a rock" :wink:

Haha, I think of the Weather Man when I hear it outside of the self-motivation context.
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    When I start thinking about how tired/winded I felt before making a change, and how being unhappy about my weight leaked into other aspects of my life, it motivates me to just get up off my *kitten* and exercise. I don't want to spend the rest of my 20s (or my life even) letting my weight control me.

But on a not so deep, and more superficial level, wearing nicer, single-digit sized clothing and the chance to wear a proper bathing suit again (I haven't worn one since I was 12-13) certainly pushes me forward too :)
  • Athena413
    Options
    Well...I didn't want to, but I ran on my treadmill to Emery (great band EVER!) for an hour and burned a good 1,227 calories. Thanks for all the motivators! Keep 'em comin'!!