Calling all Single Parents!

Options
Okay... here's the deal. I'm a single mom to four teenage girls. Their dad is completely out of the picture, so it's just the five of us. They all live with me 24/7. I was in a very bad car accident two years ago but am finally back to work full-time. I have a home-based business that I would really like to get going, but am having a hard time finding the time. I'm the cool mom, so I have a lot of other "children" around. I'm really struggling with finding the time and/or energy to take care of myself. So... I'm looking for support from others out there who are in similar situations. Please. :)

Replies

• kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    1st-God bless you for being a single parent :smile:
    2nd-God bless you even more for having 4 teenaged girls! :noway:
    3rd-God bless you for trying to take care of yourself :flowerforyou:

I'm a single mom but I only have 1 teen of my own...although I too find that the neighbor kids are always hanging out at my house.

Good luck to you on your journey and feel free to add me if you'd like!
  • showers1989
    showers1989 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hi... I have a 11 month old. His dad isn't in the picture either at all. i mean theyve never even seen each other. This is a situation where its better that way though. If you want to add me feel free and we can motivate each other.
  • ferrari420
    Options
    well , i have two jobs, and i'm going to school full time for nursing . Have 3 kids, and constantly on the search for time . Some of the things I do to get my exercise done , is by waking up a little extra early . I have found that working out in the mornings gives an extra boost thru the day . I hope this helps , and stay positive !
  • MichelleMcWain
    MichelleMcWain Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am a single parent too. I have a beautiful 5 year old daughter and her father chooses not to be in the picture, but we have made the best of it and are better off. I find between working full time and then coming home and taking care of her, my apartment and everything else, I have always had a hard time finding time to workout. I have recently decided that me being at the heaviest I have been and not wanting to get any bigger that it is time for a change. I started MFP 2 weeks ago and have lost 20lbs.. its just a start since I have so much to lose. But I want to be healthy and be a good role model for my daughter. Good luck on your journey. Add me :)
  • KandiLicious
    KandiLicious Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom but not to teenagers just yet. I have a 10 y.o. and a 3 y.o. . My daughters best friend seems to be with us a huge majority of the time also.
    Kudos to you for realizing you have to take care of yourself. I'm doing this for me but also for my kids. You can add me as a friend if you need someone to help encourage you along. I'm on here everyday unless my laptop gives me issues like it did last week.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I was a single parent of one girl (whew). Just remember what you do for yourself, good or bad, impacts them. So make your choices based on their health as well as yours. I make use of simple recipes, easy to prep snacks like hummus and veggies or lo cal crackers and count out portions in baggies if you need to. Bike or walk with the girls, a dog keeps you moving too.
  • breakingthecycle
    breakingthecycle Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I am a single mom to a daughter, just turned 18 and a son who is 14. I also have an 18 year old step son who is around a lot too. I give them my ALL! Until about a month ago and I would also used their activities as an excuse to NOT do anything about my weight.

One day, I realized that I could leave the house for an hour to walk and they weren't calling every 10 minutes looking for me. LOL kinda sad but exciting at the same time. I never dreamed that the time would come that my kids don't 'need' me 24/7, but here we are :-)

I usually have different kids at my house, especially on weekends and I LOVE IT! I am an only child and never really got to experience that world. I use the kids as an excuse to bake and send things away so that I dont have to eat them. LOL

Its great that you have realized that you can focus on yourself a bit and still be mom for them.

Good luck with your business and your goals!