5'7" 177lbs to 156lbs; 21lb loss

Options
maserati185
maserati185 Posts: 263 Member
Hello, all! This is my FIRST report on my success. I was 10 lbs. from obese in mid January (yes, 3 months ago). Today, I have officially entered the realm of healthy weight, according to BMI. Two distant, male cousins of mine went from 260 lbs to 180 lbs. in less than a year. They went from blood pressure meds, cholesterol problems, pre-diabetes, and exhaustion to riding bikes 100 miles at a time, no more blood pressure meds, far from pre-diabetic and feeling so alive that most days they, at a minimum, run a few miles or do something equivalent. And did I mention that they are almost 50? I was so impressed and I knew there was opportunity for me there. I got in touch with my cousins and they started supporting me. It turned out ... they didn't have some kind of magical bodies afterall... as I, too, started following what they preached and found myself down 21 lbs. in 3 months. It was not simple. But it worked and I still can't believe it. The key was kicking my addiction to sugar (so I'd stop wanting to eat everything in view), eating less carbs (not eliminating them), eating more vegetables and eating good fats to keep me feeling full. Sorry but I do not know how to post a pic here. I DID just now upload my first before/after on my profile pics so feel free to check it out! :)

Replies

• iamnox
    iamnox Posts: 39
    Options
    Great job!
  • Kellyr107
    Kellyr107 Posts: 43
    Options
    Congrats!
  • gidjet11
    gidjet11 Posts: 86
    Options
    I checked out your before and after and you look fantastic! Congrats and thanks for the inspiration!
  • jabberjaws77
    jabberjaws77 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    You look great!!!
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success!! I do have a little issue with your tag, I eat leftovers for breakfast all the time. I think it is filling, and better than some of the things some people eat for breakfast.

Hope you continue to do well and keep off the weight.
  • maserati185
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!! lol@cat You know, I suppose that kinda breakfast could be an exception to my rule.
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Well, it works for me. I cook a lot of mexican food, and I love enchiladas or tacos for breakfast. Plus my hubby was raised that leftovers were nasty. My son will eat leftovers, but my girls have adapted their daddy's way of thinking, so this is a great way to not waste food.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Hard work paying off! Great job!
  • dixiechicdana
    Options
    You are doing soooo good!!! I cut out sugar too except with my coffee. But no sodas, cookies, candy and such. No white refined flour. I am impressed at the fact that you were close to obese and then within healthy weight range 3 months in. That is dedication...WTG!!!!
  • AFitasticYou
    Options
    Congrats! You look great! Are you at your goal or are you trying to loose more?
  • maserati185
    Options
    Mirror - I've got 15 lbs. to go to 140, which is the mid range of my BMI "normal weight". That may change but knowing my body, I still need to lose more fat, gain more muscle/tone. I have a very embarrassing picture of myself from the beach this last year and I'm hoping to get one of me in a bikini this year to put up as a side-by-side on MFP when all is said and done.
  • jperrysunlover
    jperrysunlover Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I too, just started (as of yesterday) to cut all of the sugar I've been eating. It's amazing how "less" hungry I am. Everything else in moderation. Thanks for sharing your story! I need all the encouragement I can get as a sugar fiend!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!