Yeah I see you, jerk

Options
AndyBee
AndyBee Posts: 171 Member
I can't stand the guys at the gym that try to make me feel like an idiot. Yeah, I'm only lifting 40lbs but guess what - I'm PROUD of those 40lbs.

There is this guy who has been following me around, watching me do the machines and periodically jumps in and does 5 super fast reps and returns to whatever he was doing before. Yeah. I see you. Yes you can lift big big weights. Good for you. Now leave me alone.

I go to the gym to feel better about myself. This guy can piss off.

I bet I'm bot explaining this well, but ugh he's just so sleazy and really starting to creep me out.

Replies

• mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    get in his face, lol. and tell him to stop showing off!

or....i like this idea better...

when he does his awesome sets of awesome stuff...just say "yeah, your awesome man, totally awesome". then laugh. he wont do it no more. :wink:
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    My gym doesn't allow a-holes like that. They're motto is "The No Judgment Zone."

Nonetheless, that guy would've creeped me out, too.
  • TealStar13
    TealStar13 Posts: 165
    Options
    What a dbag. I've had a guy laugh at me too but not to the extent of your experience. :/ But yeah get in his face or something or just completely ignore him.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I'm sure he looks really tough outlifting you. You should say that to him.
  • charmsangel13
    charmsangel13 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If he is really starting to make you uncomfortable talk to gym management. What he is doing can amount to intimidation and harassment.

He sounds like a douche. Good on you for getting in the "boys" area of the gym in the first place, a lot of my mates won't go in there at all.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    He clearly has a huge crush on you. Sad that he has to show off to try to get attention! Why not try to strike up a conversation instead, or, I dunno, be nice instead of douchey?
  • Vanishing_Gordies
    Options
    Maybe he's just trying to impress you and wants to get your attention. He's a goober nonetheless.
  • vaughny
    vaughny Posts: 145
    Options
    sounds like he probably has a small winkie dink to me and he is trying to show off lol I bet he drives a huge truck too
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    He clearly has a huge crush on you. Sad that he has to show off to try to get attention! Why not try to strike up a conversation instead, or, I dunno, be nice instead of douchey?
    I was just going to type pretty much the same thing:wink: If a guy goes to that much trouble, he's flirting most likely. Might not mean he's making headway but some guys flirt like that.

When I'm in the weight room I used to get a lot of stares & feel like, crap, what the hell is wrong with me, is my shirt inside out or did I forget to put one on?:tongue: Then I had a friend explain guy language to me (not ALL guys of course but some speak that sort of language) where they sneak peaks at you, ask if you need help or simply ignore you (although you feel their eyes on the back of your head when you're turned the other way, PLUS ah hello, there are mirrors! :blushing: :laugh: )

I think it's kinda cute now, it beats guys being a jerk and acting like you're a dumb female. That's no fun, but I'm not really at the gym to flirt, my time is short and I have time to workout but not to play so I typically don't play along. Well unless I'm with friends and time is not short and then I might hang out for a bit.:love::blushing:

Sorry it's distracting to you, he could be showing off because of insecurities or because he likes you either way it can sometimes get obnoxious if you're not interested in either one.

Enjoy the gym and think well of ppl they really might not be up to anything bad but simply trying to fit in themselves.:wink::tongue: :flowerforyou:
  • navvs15
    navvs15 Posts: 165
    Options
    There is this guy who has been following me around, watching me do the machines and periodically jumps in and does 5 super fast reps and returns to whatever he was doing before. Yeah. I see you. Yes you can lift big big weights. Good for you. Now leave me alone.

I bet I'm bot explaining this well, but ugh he's just so sleazy and really starting to creep me out.

If he makes you uncomfortable and his actions persist, tell gym management about it. You pay your dues to go to the gym, not to get harassed by a bunch of sleaze ball, muscle heads!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Mace works well for anyone who gets in your personal space. :laugh: So does dropping a weight on his foot when he's too close. Or just smacking him in the face with one while doing rear delts. (Oops, I'm sorry, I guess you were a little too close to me.) Gee, can you tell I like my personal space and have a problem with A-holes in the gym who invade it? My son has said he's going to get me a t-shirt made that says "I hit stupid people" so that the morons know to stay out of arms reach. I'm not entirely sure that some of those guys can read though, so I don't think that will help. Complaining to the management certainly does, though. When I was a gym manager, I thoroughly enjoyed kicking those guys out. When I managed a women's gym in a strip mall, I loved it when the idiots would try standing out on the sidewalk and look in because then I got to tell them to move on or I'd call the police. They have to leave if the management tells them too. Even if they have a membership, it can be cancelled immediately for inappropriate behavior. When their right to be a creep interferes with your right to feel safe and comfortable working out, legally they don't have their right to be a creep anymore.
  • Zaggytiddies
    Zaggytiddies Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking he likes you too. If he was really just showing off he'd be bored by now. Since he's kinda following you around and keeps doing it he wants your attention. It's a pretty immature way to get it but I guess that's the best he's got. Poor Guy. I wanna put him in my pocket.

PS Whoo hoo 40lbs. Go you!
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    LOL!!! Oh ya, you should act like his supersets are really impressive! "wow dude, you rock!"
  • Taras630
    Taras630 Posts: 85
    Options
    Tell him your boyfriend can do better than that
  • Rurouni_Kou
    Rurouni_Kou Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Tell him your boyfriend can do better than that

Best solution ever. That or act like you're trying to shield your eyes and giggle hysterically as if he's got a hole in his shorts in a rather conspicuous place. (Bonus points if you're good enough at it to make him go to the bathroom to check for holes.)
  • Tracifielder
    Options
    I realy hate *kitten* holes but i must say i do like that one guys idea let him know hes "totaly awesome and laugh in his face
  • alazarus
    alazarus Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Maybe he's trying to impress you. Scare him away by saying, "Yeah, before the surgery and the hormones, I could do that, too..."
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I have a way to put the jerks in their place. I lift more than them. I'm under instruction from my trainer to stay off the heavy weights (especially for leg press), but when one of those a-holes starts up, I wait for them to get on the leg press sled. THen I lift the weight that they were grunting and making big noise about.... with ONE LEG.

Don't mess with former power lifters!!! mwahahahahaha!!

P.S. My trainer will be posting pics the day that I'm back to lifting the fully loaded sled... WITH him sitting on top of it. I'll be posting those pics too.

P.S.S. I can be rented out to put gym jerks in their place.
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Maybe he's trying to impress you. Scare him away by saying, "Yeah, before the surgery and the hormones, I could do that, too..."

BUahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the great laugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Could be worse... he could be STALKING YOU like some weirdo did to me on Saturday... watched me on the step mill... followed me when I went to get water then stood around like he was looking for someone else. Then later when I was doing crunches I looked over and saw him watching me through the glass door... just standing there.... staring. Really? I mean if you want to say "hello"... say it... stalking just makes you seem like a real creeper...

... and when the guys show off around me... I totally ignore them and pretend I don't even notice...