Going away for the weekend..

Options
This friday i will be leaving to go into another city to stay in a hotel for the weekend. I will be returning home Sunday evening. This getaway is making me nervous because a lage majority of my meals will be eaten out. What to do in this situation...?

Replies

• Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options
    I try not to let myself get too hungry. Then I'm apt to make poor choices. So don't "save up" calories. I also like to order appetizers and have them served as my meal (when everyone else gets their food - if you're with a group). The portions are more "correct." Drink plenty of water and relax. One weekend won't undo all the good work. Sneak in some extra workouts too if possible.

Have fun!!
  • kim1954
    kim1954 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If You have a smart phone You can use the MyFitnessPal app., Or look for restaurants like applebee's with low calorie items on the menu.
  • blakgarnet
    blakgarnet Posts: 343
    Options
    salad with grilled chicken or shrimp and dressing on the side - always a good option!
  • kstw
    kstw Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    For restaurant meals, which are usually enough for TWO meals, I ask for a take-out box when I order. I split the meal before I begin eating. I eat half for my meal and the other for another meal. I have found several chain restaurant dishes listed on MFP and use that figure to get my calories eaten. I use half for the first meal, the other half for the second.

If I go to a fast food restaurant I will often get salad meals or grilled chicken sandwiches without all the extras. I add my own condiments.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I would study the area and see what restaurants are nearby. Then make a safe-list of things to eat from some of them. I mean, the obvious is that grilled meat is better than fried. Don't order things swimming in cheese or butter/oil. Get sauces and dressings on the side.

If your room has a kitchenette or even a microwave and mini fridge, you can stop by the grocery store and control more of your meals and snacks.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I travel a lot for work, so I'm frequently eating hotel food. Take your time reading the menu, to find the foods that fit your meal plan best. Don't be afraid to make special requests -- I frequently have to ask them to just steam my veggies, and not butter or season them. I've even gone so far as to tell my waitress exactly HOW I want my steak prepared, with which seasonings (no steak butter, etc). You'll be surprised how willing to help you out the restaurant staff will be. Instead of regular omelets for breakfast, I ask for egg white omelets, which are prepared for me without a problem. I try to avoid bread in hotel restaurants (a weakness of mine), and a lot of hotels will substitute some fruit instead.

A big thing to remember, is NOT to eat everything that's served to you. Hotels generally give you WAY too much food. Just this past week, I ordered some lovely grilled scallops on a bed of polenta (I LOVE polenta). I took one look at the dish, and realized it had OVER 2 cups of polenta as a single serving. I asked for a separate bowl, removed over half of the polenta, and enjoyed the remaining 1 cup serving, grilled scallops and my grilled asparagus on the side.

Last helpful hint I can give you.... all hotels have fitness rooms these days. USE THEM!! Go hit the gym before dinner. The natural endorphins will curb your appetite, and the burn will give you the spare calories you might need.
  • LittleMissVintage
    Options
    Try to find menus and nutrtion facts on the reteraunts your going to ahead of time. Also remember som basic tips like leaving half of the food on your plate, stop before your stuffed, and share dessert.