Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Puffed Rice Treats

gummibaehr
gummibaehr Posts: 143
edited September 20 in Recipes
I really REALLY wanted rice crispy treats, but I wanted to take a healthier approach to the traditional snack. So I used all natural puffed rice cereal instead. They came out really good! And at 55 calories a square, they're virtually guilt-free! (As long as you can resist eating the whole pan!)

What you need:
- 6 cups puffed rice cereal (I used and organic, all natural cereal with no additives.)
- 10 oz marshmallows (I used Kraft jet puffed.)
- 3 tbsps butter (I used unsalted.)
- 3 oz. dark chocolate (Optional, but highly recommend! I used Endangered Species 72% dark chocolate.)

What to do:
- Melt butter in large sauce pan over med/low heat.
- Add marshmallows and stir until smooth.
- Turn off heat and mix in puffed rice cereal.
- Press into a lightly greased 14x10 inch pan. (I greased mine very lightly with olive oil.)
- Break chocolate bar into chunks into a microwave safe bowl and heat in microwave; stirring at 30 second intervals until melted.
- Drizzle melted chocolate over puffed rice mixture.
- Let set for about an hour or until chocolate has solidified again.
- Cut into 2 inch squares with a sharp knife and enjoy! (Yields 35 squares.)

They aren't as sweet as regular rice crispy treats, but they are super delicious and chewy! I put them into the MFP database as "Megan's Puffed Rice Treats" if you want to see their detailed nutritional info.

Replies

• ranand
    ranand Posts: 2 Member
    yum! sounds great! thanks for sharing !!
  • Romba
    Romba Posts: 164 Member
    Ooooh yum! Thanks :)

(and putting them into the database helps!)
  • lilangel7671
    lilangel7671 Posts: 353 Member
    bump sounds good!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    I really REALLY wanted rice crispy treats, but I wanted to take a healthier approach to the traditional snack. So I used all natural puffed rice cereal instead. They came out really good! And at 55 calories a square, they're virtually guilt-free! (As long as you can resist eating the whole pan!)

What you need:
    - 6 cups puffed rice cereal (I used and organic, all natural cereal with no additives.)
    - 10 oz marshmallows (I used Kraft jet puffed.)
    - 3 tbsps butter (I used unsalted.)
    - 3 oz. dark chocolate (Optional, but highly recommend! I used Endangered Species 72% dark chocolate.)

What to do:
    - Melt butter in large sauce pan over med/low heat.
    - Add marshmallows and stir until smooth.
    - Turn off heat and mix in puffed rice cereal.
    - Press into a lightly greased 14x10 inch pan. (I greased mine very lightly with olive oil.)
    - Break chocolate bar into chunks into a microwave safe bowl and heat in microwave; stirring at 30 second intervals until melted.
    - Drizzle melted chocolate over puffed rice mixture.
    - Let set for about an hour or until chocolate has solidified again.
    - Cut into 2 inch squares with a sharp knife and enjoy! (Yields 35 squares.)

They aren't as sweet as regular rice crispy treats, but they are super delicious and chewy! I put them into the MFP database as "Megan's Puffed Rice Treats" if you want to see their detailed nutritional info.

I made similar treats! I used:
    6 cups of cereal
    4 tbsp of butter (but would probably be fine with less)
    1 10-ounce package of strawberry marshmallows:love:
    1 tsp of vanilla (I HATE rice crispy treats usually, but I make them with a touch of vanilla, and I love them! :laugh: )

I used the same method to make them- I bet the strawberry ones would be extra good with the chocolate drizzle you mentioned, gummibaehr! :love:
  • mrsbeck
    mrsbeck Posts: 234 Member
    Oooh, sounds yummy. I've been needing a new sweet treat...getting tired of diet coke cake!
  • BUMPITY BUMP!
  • menchi
    menchi Posts: 297 Member
    Thanks for sharing your recipes! I just created my own after looking at various recipes online and modifying it for my tastes. I used fiber one cereal-- half original bran and half honey clusters (my first experience with crispy marshmallow treats was with corn flakes rather than crisped rice, so I'm partial to flakes). I also added it to the database and listed them as "FiberOne Krispymallow treats". It has just enough marshmallow to hold the cereal together rather than drown it in sweetness. I made my servings pretty small but I think they would make a great breakfast on the go or road trip treat.
  • bossmodehan
    bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
    bump :flowerforyou:
  • aecryan
    aecryan Posts: 89
    oh yummy! thanks for sharing! i love puffed rice cereal!
  • ybba12490
    ybba12490 Posts: 252
    definitely making these! rice crispies are my fave :)

bump
  • Mahlissa
    Mahlissa Posts: 128
    Great!!! Sounds healthy and sweet. Can't wait to try it!!!! :smile:
This discussion has been closed.