help! becoming a binge eater?? since when!?!

Options
Ok, i am 19 years old and when i started MFP i was at 125 lbs... i had already lost th weight i really needed to (about 25 lbs) before MFP from soccer and running and eating right. I signed up for this to try gethealthier (make good food choices) as well as to lose a last 10 lbs (ideal weight is 115). I was doing really well this whole time, but this past month has been a killer for me.

Im a college freshman and most of my friends are unhealthy.... their food styles never affected me before, but i am losing control over my own habits now. Im having a super rough semester and a really rough 2 weeks, and i have been binging like no other! I never was a binge eater int he past. I dealt with eating disorders, but not binge. What is getting into me and how can i back track before i lose control??

Also, i run daily, but to make things worse i havent been able to these past few days (the gym closed down due to a fire 2 weeks ago, and it's been way too cold for outside). It makes me feel gross and miserable when i eat this bad and can't burn anything.

Any advice? How do i get myself back to normal.

Replies

• khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone around you who can support you? I usually have a major binge day on Sundays (today was the first Sunday in about 2.5 months that I was under my calories instead of 2000 over....), and it helps if I promise my husband that I'm not going to overeat or if I'm going to get up early to exercise. Good luck to you!
  • mandyisdandy
    Options
    No not really. =/ Not right now atleast. Feels good to know im not the only one though. Both this week and last week Sunday have been bad for me, but i am ussually alright the rest of the time.
    It's just frustrating because i never had this problem before... its sprung up on me recently.
  • lacev615
    lacev615 Posts: 2
    Options
    I would advise you to first go see a therapist in order to figure out what has REALLY triggered that binge eating. He/she could help you find other ways to release any tension or stress you might been having that has made you change your eating habits. Regarding exercise, it would be great if you could get some DVD's such as P90x, the Jillian Michaels ones, etc. You can get then through Amazon.com or download them online (not super legal, though, lol). Also, don't be that hard on yourself! Just try to figure out what's bugging you and get moving! Good luck!
  • cdez80421
    cdez80421 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am a binge eater myself, especially when stressed or tired, so I have tried to replace my binge
    eating with little things like having a lot of gum on hand and also every fitness tape/dvd I can find (I am also a runner but keep these for variety.)
    If you are a runner, you really should try the Insanity DVD's, you don't need anything but a small room and a dvd/tv.
    Its a fantastic workout for the days when you cant get out and run.
  • pruthy
    pruthy Posts: 5
    Options
    make sure you tell your friends that you are dieting, they will most likely remind you that you should be eating healthily. also, buddy up with someone, you might be able to run around campus or find some other fun activity to do as a group. find a friend with a kinect or a wii to get active indoors. don't limit yourself to a gym. and most importantly, don't deny yourself completely, you'll only end up feeling resentful and bingeing again. instead, take your favorite foods in small doses or curb your cravings. if you crave a burger, have a burger, just not deep fried with bacon, cheese, no veggies, and dipped in mayo. and i don't think you need a therapist, and this just sounds like normal college stuff. when i went away, i also felt more sedentary until i joined my school's dance team and promised to workout every morning with my best friend. its great to have someone to kick your butt into gear when you're slacking, and even better when its mutual :D
  • Mahlissa
    Mahlissa Posts: 128
    Options
    If it weren't for running, I would go nuts. I feel your pain. I am a binge eater, too. Quite frequently lately, up to 3x a week.

It's because of stress . I can see you're routine has been disrupted, you're out of your comfort zone. Sometimes when we lose control of other aspects of our lives, food is the only thing we have control over. . I know, if your like me, you can' t afford a therapist or have time for one. You don't need one, anyway.

You have recognized the problem and spoken about it and that's the first step. Try to make a schedule to have more control over your exercise or just go outside and then you can look forward to that time and stay focused.
  • mandyisdandy
    Options
    If it weren't for running, I would go nuts. I feel your pain. I am a binge eater, too. Quite frequently lately, up to 3x a week.

It's because of stress . I can see you're routine has been disrupted, you're out of your comfort zone. Sometimes when we lose control of other aspects of our lives, food is the only thing we have control over. . I know, if your like me, you can' t afford a therapist or have time for one. You don't need one, anyway.

You have recognized the problem and spoken about it and that's the first step. Try to make a schedule to have more control over your exercise or just go outside and then you can look forward to that time and stay focused.
    thanks def helps to know im not alone. yeah the past month has just been insanely stressful for me, and this past week has been the worst! i know once i go home for summer break i can get my eating habits back to normal and my excersise pumped up more, but im just scared ill lose control till then... thats a whole month from now =/

thanks for the help guys.