Not reaching your goals

Options
A lot of us set "mini goals," so what happens if you don't make them? I have been eating healthy and have been under my daily calories consistently, plus I am exercising and burning calories. I am just worried I might not reach my mini goals and become discouraged and not know what to do next. Do you try and reach your mini goal on another date? or make a completely new one goal?

Replies

• Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    try for a different date! just something to work towards :]
  • sbear867
    sbear867 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Mini goals are nice, i made them too...but the thing that really works for me is a percent reward system...I dont set dates. I just say when I hit 5% loss I get this, 10% loss I get this and so forth....Hope that helps!
  • jrt9999
    jrt9999 Posts: 114
    Options
    I make my goals realistic so I have no problem hitting them. I shoot for a 4 to 5 pound loss monthly. I also make sure I use up every bit of calories I can, I enjoy eating :smile:

Since I changed to this philosophy I have hit each goal plus some.

And if I didn't hit a mini goal I still know I am getting healthier and stronger and am learning how to eat for the rest of my life so in a sense that is a goal to fall back on when other goals do not materialize.

Good luck!
  • jae6704
    jae6704 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I dont really have any mini goals but for every 10 pounds lost I get new shoes
  • melissatacker
    melissatacker Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I was supposed to reach my mini goal today but was off by 1 pound, so I am just adding it to my next goal next month.
  • blondie1238
    blondie1238 Posts: 182
    Options
    I'm in a plateau myself... so I keep resetting the date, working hard and hoping for the best! I have a goal system set up with rewards, so I'm doing my best to keep pushing myself. But DAMN, it's hard sometimes!
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i don't set goals by 'date'.. i set them by amount lost (mini goals for me are every 10 lbs lost)

mainly because i have no set date to lose weight... i am simply eating in a healthy way, now, and for the rest of my life *S*..so i know i will get there, so not going to stress myself out by setting dates that i will worry about *S*
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I've set many mini goals. Some I've reached when I wanted, some I haven't. My current one is scary.

But, if you're eating healthy and being more active, you should call it a "win" no matter what the scale says! The numbers will come.
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    I just have a reward system for every 10 pounds lost. If it takes longer to lose those 10 pounds, then I just have to wait longer for that particular reward.
  • dengarrett
    dengarrett Posts: 367
    Options
    My goal is to continue to lose weight, continue to exercise and improve my nutrition. For me, it's a change in my way of life that doesn't end, so I don't set any dates. I do have a goal weight - and when I reach that I will adjust my calorie targets to maintain that weight.
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I just have a reward system for every 10 pounds lost. If it takes longer to lose those 10 pounds, then I just have to wait longer for that particular reward.

I do the same as this, except I put mine as every 20 lbs lost I get a reward, with a big reward at 84 lbs loss (my goal).

I tried setting dates in the past but when the day passed and I wasn't there yet it got me really discouraged. Setting lbs lost instead of dates works best for me personally, but do whatever seems more motivating for you.
  • ybba12490
    ybba12490 Posts: 252
    Options

I do the same as this, except I put mine as every 20 lbs lost I get a reward, with a big reward at 84 lbs loss (my goal).

These are really good ideas! Thanks everyone!