Old Habits Die Hard...

Options
I am in a bad mind space at the moment. I bought myself a cadbury cream egg today because I wanted a treat. So here I am, staring at this egg, tears in my eyes because of my mind space, and trying very hard to to turn to this egg for comfort!

I guess old habits do die hard...

Replies

• sweetbri07
    sweetbri07 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I bought myself some cadbury cream eggs, because they are my big weakness this time of the year. I only allow myself 1 in the evening, as long as I am under my calorie goal. I just treat it as my dessert. Don't think of it as a bad habit, just look at it as a reward for eating well!
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    What do you want more my friend, to be healthy and look good or to take on that egg that will be gone in less than 5minutes. Your being healthy and looking good is something that will last as long as you continue to take care of yourself.. Come on throw that egg in the garbage, walk away with a smile and know you are worth it...You are better than that... We are here with you, we are believing that you can do this, you can be a better you.... Good Luck girl... and take that step in the right direction...
  • gennybunny
    Options
    Old habits are hard to change. I am struggling every day. Do you want the egg? If you really do, eat the egg, count the calories and move on. I realized that this is for life not just a diet. I wanted a treat today, so I bought a peppermint patty. I ate it enjoyed, counted it and moved on. Don't be so hard on yourself. Don't feel guilty if you enjoy it. Hugs
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    It's particularly difficult when it's seasonal/holiday food.... I had the hardest time walking past the huge display in my grocery store.... A bag of black jellybeans leapt off the shelf and crawled, Navy Seal style, into my cart and hunkered down behind the kale. I didn't even see it until I got to the check out (huh...how did this get into my cart?) And then, really, it looked so cute I couldn't turn it down (please, me, can we keep it? Well, I guess.)

So far, the packaging is unopened, but it's just a matter of time. Fortunately, the black ones (according to my mother's Easter basket math) have no calories.... (I know, wishful licorice thoughts).

Take care of yourself, and don't beat yourself up about one Easter candy.....
  • SuperStorm
    SuperStorm Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I hear ya...
    I have had a very bad week and both Monday night and tonight I have just completely gone nuts food wise...I've been -3000+ both nights.
    All we can do is hope tomorrow is better and try again
    Hope it gets better for you
  • shyaamist
    shyaamist Posts: 34
    Options
    You guys are great! I think I really do want the egg ( I know, have it, enjoy it, and move on) but I'm afraid I really only want it for the comfort I can't seem to get in any other way... so the struggle is, yes, I may eat it, and will very much enjoy it, but is it worth the calories? I have them avail. in my day today, I guess this is just my new struggle with food! Gonna take some relearning how to do things.

I guess the fact that I am struggling with the idea to eat it or not is a step in the right direction... before I would never have given it any thought!
  • alazarus
    alazarus Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to or should eat it. Do you want it just because you're bored or because you feel like you should? Is there something else you can be doing with your time instead of waging war on a piece of candy? Boredom is my biggest diet buster-- if you're hungry, try having a more nutritious snack instead. Or if you're just bored, try calling a friend, accomplishing a household chore, reading a magazine, or anything else to occupy your mind! Good luck to you!
  • gennybunny
    Options
    Shyaamist, I think you answered your own dilemma by saying you were looking for comfort. If it is just a craving that you give into, great. But if it is emotional than you need to put it away and find something to comfort you. Maybe a nice bubble bath, a cup of tea and a book, whatever. You also need to ask yourself, why do you need comforting? Once you can answer that, you can move forward. Good luck.

And I completely agree with the others, don't let it become a war. All great advice.
  • amriley
    amriley Posts: 4
    Options
    I used to rely on caffeine many days to get going or for comfort. When the day got stressful, have a Pepsi. I decided this year that I wasn't going to quit drinking it completely, but that I wouldn't give into it for comfort. I have had 4 soda drinks this year so far. I have craved it much more than that, but I wouldn't let myself have it if it was a craving for comfort. I could only have one if I just felt like having one and had the calorie space.

One thing I did at first to help the comfort cravings was replace the craving. For instance, at first when I craved soda, I would drink a 8 oz glass of orange juice. I still had the sweetness, but at least I was getting some vitamins. Now the comfort cravings are still here... but they are 90% of the time easier to manage. And if I give in and have the soda pop or have the candy, I just eat a moderate amount and stop.