Couch to 5K

Options
Hey Guys im starting the Couch to 5K app today...wish me luck! any tips?:flowerforyou:

Replies

• NurseChristy3
    NurseChristy3 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    ME TOO! I started last week but repeating week 1 again this week because even tho I did it...I want to do it well and not with the struggling. Best of luck to you ;)
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Good for you, Im not in good enough shape yet to follow their guidelines, running 1 and walking 90 but I am working on my own level and working up as I can and maybe get to their ideals soon. My advice is take it how your body tells you, if you have to do week one over before moving onto week two then do it. Make sure to rest on the off days meaning dont run. Stretch before and after.

Good Luck I hope to join this workout soon.
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Good luck and have funnn!! My tip would be to take it slow. If you're running on a treadmill (like I am), don't get caught up in the numbers of how "fast" you and others are running, just do what is comfortable. If you're running outside, then it shouldn't be as much of a problem.
    I'm starting week 3 tomorrow or Tuesday, I'll let you know how it goes, haha.
  • angelofmedicine
    angelofmedicine Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i have done it myself... I never, ever ran... but I did it... Follow it, it's easy... The hardest part is staying motivated! I signed up for a 5k last year and almost bailed because I was afraid of embarrassing myself... or finishing last... but u know what??? I beat every person on the sidelines.

I promise on my heart... the hardest thing is in your head. I am trying to train my sister and she swears she can't do it... but I pushed her and made her scream... but you know what?? She did a 5k after training for 6 weeks... It' wasn't pretty... it wasn't fast... but she did it.

The best thing I can say is don't go for speed... go for time or distance... and I tried to go a little bit more each time. For example.. If it said run 1 min then walk 1 1/2 min... then I would run 65 seconds or 70 seconds... then walk 90 seconds... Every bit helps!
  • rblauvelt7
    rblauvelt7 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Do what you feel comfortable with and stretch, stretch, stretch! If you actually plan on doing a 5k, I may also suggest starting a little earlier than the 10 weeks, because your longest time running is 30 minutes and that would put you under a 10 minute mile, which is hard for a beginner. I started on week 4, but I don't always follow their suggestions, because if I feel like running longer than they suggest, I'm going to push myself to do it!
  • K1Teacher
    K1Teacher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I'm starting week 3 this week (super scared) but I'm feeling much more confident. I think I'm actually kind of liking it now...lol! Best piece of advice (aside from stretching) would be to find music that motivates you. It's kinds funny but I never listen to the old 80's rock bands BUT I've found that's what I LOVE running to. Another one of my friends said she doesn't really listen to rap music EXCEPT for when she runs (the dirtier the better for her). Funny huh!?! Music seems to really make a difference. Good luck! You've got this!!
  • phatdiva26
    Options
    woohoo thanks for the support guys i cant wait!:wink:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I'm going to start again tonight. I was doing really well a year ago then I did something to my knees and had to quit. My knees are feeling better now so I'm going to try again.
  • speedyneon
    Options
    Good luck and have fun. I myself am on week 2 day 3. Definitely get something you can listen to. Some listen to music. I listen to military cadences. It helps me keep a pace.
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I would also say do not beat yourself up if you feel like you need to repeat a week here or there. But, at the same time, do not fall back on the previous week solely because the next week seems too challenging. Give it a shot! You might amaze yourself how possible the seemingly impossible is when you get it in your head that YOU CAN DO IT.

I'm heading into week 8 today, and can hardly believe I can run 25 minutes without break. But you know what? I CAN. Looking forward to running a 5K in May.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I would also say do not beat yourself up if you feel like you need to repeat a week here or there. But, at the same time, do not fall back on the previous week solely because the next week seems to challenging. Give it a shot! You might amaze yourself how possible the seemingly impossible is when you get it in your head that YOU CAN DO IT.

I'm heading into week 8 today, and can hardly believe I can run 25 minutes without break. But you know what? I CAN. Looking forward to running a 5K in May.

That is wonderful! I had just gotten to that point last year and was beyond excited. Then I finally had to quit because of my stupid knees. Good luck on your 5K. :flowerforyou:
  • phatdiva26
    Options
    ok guys day 1 kicked my BUTT:frown:!!!!!! I only got through 2 of the 8 runs! i felt soooooo defeated and didnt even try to run any after that! the good news is im not giving up and i am going to start again tomorrow:wink:
  • Bmorrow
    Bmorrow Posts: 169
    Options
    i have done it myself... I never, ever ran... but I did it... Follow it, it's easy... The hardest part is staying motivated! I signed up for a 5k last year and almost bailed because I was afraid of embarrassing myself... or finishing last... but u know what??? I beat every person on the sidelines.

I promise on my heart... the hardest thing is in your head. I am trying to train my sister and she swears she can't do it... but I pushed her and made her scream... but you know what?? She did a 5k after training for 6 weeks... It' wasn't pretty... it wasn't fast... but she did it.

The best thing I can say is don't go for speed... go for time or distance... and I tried to go a little bit more each time. For example.. If it said run 1 min then walk 1 1/2 min... then I would run 65 seconds or 70 seconds... then walk 90 seconds... Every bit helps!
  • Bmorrow
    Bmorrow Posts: 169
    Options
    @angel of medicine...love that attitude and think your saying "I beat everyone on the sidelines" should b on a T shirt...I am on W8D2 and am looking to do a 5k in April... Thought I would die when I started, but LOVE IT!
  • qtpiesmom
    Options
    ok guys day 1 kicked my BUTT:frown:!!!!!! I only got through 2 of the 8 runs! i felt soooooo defeated and didnt even try to run any after that! the good news is im not giving up and i am going to start again tomorrow:wink:

My question to you to ask yourself is this How much have you ran in the past? Is this more than you ever have done? I dont know about you but Im a big girl running is not my forte but Im working on it. IF the same is for you THEN small victory for you YEPPIE pat yourself on the back. Some of us need more time to build up to what a program says, no difference than the 30 day shred many people can do it for the 30 days yes some struggle some dont, then there are other people that take 60 - 90 days to complete it because they work at the level they can. Dont be defeated YOUR DOING IT, BELIEVE IN YOURSELF and if you couldnt do exactly what the program says then work it out to your ability and go up from there. if 2 is your number right now work through that then push to 3 then 45678. For me being so outta shape what Im doing now is more than I have in the past 5 years and for that Im proud of myself. YES Push yourself but dont hurt yourself and dont beat yourself down positive thoughts knowing your doing it and WILL get there.
    GOOD FOR YOU ON KEEPING GOING.
  • Lean100
    Lean100 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You've inspired me! Where do I find the Couch to 5K plan?
  • halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I tried the C25K about 2 months ago and barely made it through 8 minutes on day 1...I was so dissapointed...I stopped trying it all togheter. But, I did end up doing Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds DVDs and built up my strength and endurance that way. I tried the C25K program again yesterday and I made it through the first session without any struggle! I am so excited....

Good luck to you! :)
  • qtpiesmom
    Options

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

If you have a smartphone, you can also download apps that will keep track of the timing for you! They sound a chime when it's time to switch from running to walking, etc. Makes it loads simpler!
  • cdez80421
    cdez80421 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My advice, when it gets hard, go as slow as you need to and still be jogging, justs dont stop, dont quit!!!