Before & After pics 80lb loss, + my diet plan

Options
arussell53
arussell53 Posts: 15 Member
In 2009 around June or so, I started a new "plan" to save money. We were spending way too much money eating out, so my wife and I agreed to only eat at home except 1 time a month we would have a special dinner out.

Well, it snowballed quickly and we both lost a significant amount of weight. Since we were eating at home anyway, we just started eating healthier and healthier. I have kept it off now since '09 and and am back again trying to lose another 20lbs or so.

Here are the stats"

Me Starting: 6'5" 320-330lbs
Me Ending : 6'5" 230's(lowest) and 240's (maintained for about 2 years now)

Today I am 6'5" 246lbs. I want to get down to about 220.
weightlosssmall.jpg
weightloss2small.jpg
Here was our (very) basic diet plan:

The Rules.
1. No eating out. Ever. (EVER!!)
2. Drink nothing but water.
3. No sugar unless in fruit.
4. No prepared meals from the store.
5. No deep fried food.

If it’s not on this list, I can’t eat it:

Vegetables (any)
Fruit (any)b
Fish (any)
Chicken
Beans (any)
Millett
Soup (no cream soups)
Egg beaters
Rice (any non-pre-flavored)
Popcorn (microwave, within reason - air pop, anytime)
Couscous
Olive Oil

And that was it, more or less. The hardest part was not "cheating" because once we got the taste in our mouth for cookies, or fast food or whatever it was.... that would set us on a bender that could last days.

In fact, the reason I stopped eating like this was because I was house sitting for my mom and her house was FILLED with goodies... I just couldn't stop myself. After a week of eating all that ultra-rich food, I just couldn't go back. But now, we are starting again....

Wish us luck. =0P

Replies

• snockers3112
    snockers3112 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are both doing really well, keep it up. Can't wait to see the pics :)
  • arussell53
    Options
    Thanks! lol.. boy, uploading the pictures was challenging... lol
  • starryeyedsnoozer
    starryeyedsnoozer Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a transformation, you look like a completely different man! Well done!
  • jennsie
    jennsie Posts: 38
    Options
    well done you. so much better! I think 90% of weight loss is about eating right.
  • arussell53
    Options
    In the interest of full disclosure, I should mention that 320-330lbs was VERY unusual for me.

I was 230 in high-school and 220 in the Army. At one point, for a few years I was around 200.

So 300+ was an EXTREMELY unnatural weight for me to be.
  • pina1958
    pina1958 Posts: 4
    Options
    Looking good x:wink:
  • millymoozie
    millymoozie Posts: 150
    Options
    you must feel fantastic ,you certainly look amazing ,,,, congratulations on reclaiming mind body & soul
  • raven1114
    raven1114 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    did you find it hard to vary the menu so as to not get 'bored' with it?
  • galaxysue
    galaxysue Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    wow you look amazing, well done!!!
  • MimerT
    MimerT Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Great job! That's awesome! What an inspiration!!!!
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    wow....you look great!!!!
  • RobinS78
    RobinS78 Posts: 20
    Options
    Awesome job! And that's great you two have each other for support!
  • arussell53
    Options
    Raven:

Honestly, no.

Once you become re-sensitized to the salt fat and sugar, food starts to taste so much better.

We genuinely savored and enjoyed every evening meal. You can do so much with the few ingredients I listed, of course most of us have no idea how to cook. (we still don't)

There is a whole world of food out that we still have to explore and just within those few groups of food, there are things and combinations we have never tried. We still don't know how to use herbs and spices properly. (though we are getting better)
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    D00d, you're killin' it! Epic!
  • raven1114
    raven1114 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Raven:

Honestly, no.

Once you become re-sensitized to the salt fat and sugar, food starts to taste so much better.

We genuinely savored and enjoyed every evening meal. You can do so much with the few ingredients I listed, of course most of us have no idea how to cook. (we still don't)

There is a whole world of food out that we still have to explore and just within those few groups of food, there are things and combinations we have never tried. We still don't know how to use herbs and spices properly. (though we are getting better)

cool, sounds like it's working really well for y'all. i love using herbs and spices in my cooking. salts not something i use often and when i do it's sea salt. what would you say was the hardest thing to give up food wise?
  • debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Looks great! Congrats to you both!

Debbie
  • arussell53
    Options
    Fast food in general was the hardest thing to give up. When you eat like we ate, you have to prepare your own meals. No restaurant is going to give you half a broiled chicken-breast on a plate of millet with corn and black beans lol. For Crystal, I know she had a hard time with sweets, but the thing I craved the most and wanted the most was fast food.

Being people that are on the go, we really had to fight our cravings out on the road. Staying at home and eating at home is easy.. but a trip somewhere triggers all sorts of "eating emotions".

For example, years ago I smoked cigarettes. Whenever I would get into my car, the first thing I would do was light up. When I was quitting (3+years now non-smoker) One of the hardest things to overcome was that urge to light up when I got in the car.

Fast food is the same way. When we get in the car to go somewhere, that triggers that habit of wanting to get a "treat" though the drive through. You just have to plan ahead or have some "outs" - one of our "outs" was the Kroger salad bar. When we needed to eat out we would hit the salad bar. We knew the hours and location of all of them on our frequently traveled routes.
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    this is really great!!!!
    you look fantastic and it sounds like you did it the really healthy way!!!
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    this is really great!!!!
    you look fantastic and it sounds like you did it the really healthy way!!!
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    If it’s not on this list, I can’t eat it:

Vegetables (any)
    Fruit (any)b
    Fish (any)
    Chicken
    Beans (any)
    Millett
    Soup (no cream soups)
    Egg beaters
    Rice (any non-pre-flavored)
    Popcorn (microwave, within reason - air pop, anytime)
    Couscous
    Olive Oil

Congrats on the weight loss.

However, I'm sympathetic for you because of your diet. There is no reason to limit certain foods as long as you meet your calories and macros for the day. Everything in moderation. By limiting yourself like that, when you are presented with a situation outside of your usually routine you are much more likely to binge because of the will power exerted for days, weeks or months prior to the incident. Everyone has a breaking point, especially when the opportunity presents itself. You are setting yourself up for failure once you move outside the realm of your normal day to day activities.

Eating out once and a while doesn't make people fat. It's a lack of portion control and proper nutrition for extended periods of time that causes it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!