Joined a gym...

Options
Just joined a gym. Our treadmill at home broke for the second time. I wasn't able to use it anyways because it caused shinsplints. I have been using the elliptical machine at the gym, I use it every other day for 50 minutes. I realize that I also need to use the weight machines. I am just not sure what machines to use in order to tone my body rather than bulking up. Does anybody have a good routine that they can share, as far as weight machines go???

Replies

• bride2be
    Options
    Just joined a gym. Our treadmill at home broke for the second time. I wasn't able to use it anyways because it caused shinsplints. I have been using the elliptical machine at the gym, I use it every other day for 50 minutes. I realize that I also need to use the weight machines. I am just not sure what machines to use in order to tone my body rather than bulking up. Does anybody have a good routine that they can share, as far as weight machines go???
  • Richard74
    Options
    sets and repition will be the factor on toning or strenght.

light weights with more reps will tone
    heavy weights with less reps will strength

as far as sets, some do the pyrimad set, or times you can start off high example 14reps then cut down by two (reps) after each set till you do at least four sets or more if you want.

The gym should have a person to show what all the machines do and what muscle group it targets.

I hope that helps out.
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Particularly when you are consuming fewer calories than you are burning, you won't bulk up. You will tone but to build muscle you have to consume extra calories so that your body has fuel with which to build the tissues. Oxygen magazine is a wonderful guide to all things weight training!
  • zoepane
    zoepane Posts: 209
    Options
    Hi I just joined a gym too, if yours offers, use a trainer,my offers a free trainer for a 30 minute session, anyway, I am doing treadmill for 20 minutes M, W, F, and an aerobic class T and Th, and than I lift weights, on M and F.....
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    most good gyms will give you a eval when you join then again 6 monthes later....

they will set you up on what weights to start with on the machines...etc., how much cardio you'll need for your goals etc....according to your eval
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Regardless of what you do with the weights, you aren't going to 'bulk up'. I only wish everyone could truly experience the frustration of wanting to add just an INCH of muscle to their biceps--it's HARD. It doesn't just happen from tossing around some dumb bells, especially not when you're in a caloric deficit, and DOUBLE especially when you're a female.

Any gym worth its salt will have one or even two complementary 'tours' where a trainer or staff member will show you around the machines.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I use the elliptical, occasionally the treadmill, and take a class at my gym once or twice a week. I also use the weight machines. One day I'll do biceps and triceps. Another day I do the "thigh master" (inner and outer aductor/abductor), and another day I do the ab machines.

The key, as mentioned before, is repetition, not weight. For my biceps and triceps, I am actually trying to add weight. I'd love a Popeye looking bicep (when I flex) :laugh: . For abs ESPECIALLY, it's about repetition and not weight. Also, abs are the only muscle (that I'm aware of) that you cannot work too often. You can work and work and work, and come back the next day and work it again. They are amazing. However, all the abs exercises in the world won't create a visible six pack if you have a layer of ... um... well, fat over the top of it. Just thought I'd mention that. So many people think situps should produce a six pack without thinking about the layer of fat that covers those muscles.

Also, if your elliptical has incline adjustment, play with it! Kick up the resistance too, but the incline will change which muscles you are toning. Some days I focus on my glutes, same days it my calves, and other days I set it to tone from my butt to my toes. :wink:

Get a trainer to show you how to use those machines. I was so fearful of them at the beginning. I had my gym's trainer so me a couple machines at a time, so that I could really focus on what I was learning about that machine and make sure I was using it properly and comfortable with it before I learned a new machine.