Is this possible

Options
I just started on 10/15/2008. I jump on the scale it says 185 heaviest ever. I was so sad so I decided that this was my rock bottom so I found this site. (I was just starting my monthly thing.) Today, my third day... I was feeling so good couldn't resist the scale and got on this morning... the scale says 178. Is this possible? Water weight, monthly visit almost over?

I 'm way excited though... but it sounds too good to be true.

Replies

• GaoLee
    GaoLee Posts: 65
    Options
    I just started on 10/15/2008. I jump on the scale it says 185 heaviest ever. I was so sad so I decided that this was my rock bottom so I found this site. (I was just starting my monthly thing.) Today, my third day... I was feeling so good couldn't resist the scale and got on this morning... the scale says 178. Is this possible? Water weight, monthly visit almost over?

I 'm way excited though... but it sounds too good to be true.
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    it is possible but my guess is that none of it or very little of it is actual fat. women retain a lot of water during their monthlies so if its at the end of it, its probably just water weight. But at least its likely that depending on when weighed yourself, you weren't actually 185 pounds.
  • GaoLee
    Options
    it is possible but my guess is that none of it or very little of it is actual fat. women retain a lot of water during their monthlies so if its at the end of it, its probably just water weight. But at least its likely that depending on weighed yourself, you weren't actually 185 pounds.

Yeah because I'm always around 175-180 but that day it says 185. Well the last time I weigh was 2 months ago.

Oh well... it gave me the kick I needed to get my butt on track.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    IF you have been avoiding processed foods (anything from a box or a can), and have avoided eating OUT, and if you have eaten a lot of fibrous foods, and clean meat, and if you have been staying in your cal allottment, then it is entirely possible that you may have lost weight.

There is, however, a caveat -- that is, when you don't watch what you eat, and eat all those bad things, they are filled with a lot of sodium. Also, we tend not to get enough water. So the sodium in our bodies actually acts like a SPONGE, and actually SUCKS UP any water we do get. So, a gallon of water weighs 8lbs. So if you've avoided all the nasty sodium, your body is releasing toxins and water. But that is entirely NORMAL. EVentually, the weight you're losing will be fat.
  • GaoLee
    Options
    IF you have been avoiding processed foods (anything from a box or a can), and have avoided eating OUT, and if you have eaten a lot of fibrous foods, and clean meat, and if you have been staying in your cal allottment, then it is entirely possible that you may have lost weight.

There is, however, a caveat -- that is, when you don't watch what you eat, and eat all those bad things, they are filled with a lot of sodium. Also, we tend not to get enough water. So the sodium in our bodies actually acts like a SPONGE, and actually SUCKS UP any water we do get. So, a gallon of water weighs 8lbs. So if you've avoided all the nasty sodium, your body is releasing toxins and water. But that is entirely NORMAL. EVentually, the weight you're losing will be fat.

Oh makes so much sense. I usually never drank water and since the 15th, I've been getting my 8 cups in everyday and staying under 1200 calories each day. Thank you.
  • raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Oh makes so much sense. I usually never drank water and since the 15th, I've been getting my 8 cups in everyday and staying under 1200 calories each day. Thank you.

You HAVE to eat more than 1200 calories a day. If you haven't been you're making your body starve, so yes, you'll lose a lot fast (like now) but really really soon you won't lose an ounce because your body is hanging on to everything since it thinks it's starving.
  • GaoLee
    Options

You HAVE to eat more than 1200 calories a day. If you haven't been you're making your body starve, so yes, you'll lose a lot fast (like now) but really really soon you won't lose an ounce because your body is hanging on to everything since it thinks it's starving.

I'm only 5 feet tall so this site tells me my limit is only 1200 calories... should I eat more?
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options

I'm only 5 feet tall so this site tells me my limit is only 1200 calories... should I eat more?

Possibly that's fine for now, but if you exercise and LOG IT, MFP will automatically add those cals to what you're allowed for the day, so make SURE YOU"RE EATING THEM. If you don't, what Rain said is true, your body will give it up for now, but you will hit a wall because your body will think it's starving. So make sure you're eating what you're allowed to eat. If you're having a hard time filling in the remainder of the allowed cals for the day, have a little peanut butter straight out of the jar at the end fo the day -- it's a quick calorie fill and it's got GOOD fats, and fiber, which we need. Just remember to log it!!
  • krystalmoore1986
    krystalmoore1986 Posts: 216 Member
    Options

I am also 5 feet tall and the site also allows me 1200 cals as long as you eat all 1200 you will be doing great it worked for me. Now I am almost at my goal weight I upped my cals to 1400 and am still losing, which means my metabolism did not slow down at 1200 a day. just make sure you add in exercise cals and THEN EAT THEM!! It's very important.
  • raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    Options

I didn't mean "more than" (which I said) I meant "At least". if 1200 is your goal that is fine, it's my goal too. But do not eat less than 1200 and eat your exercise calories. In the beginning I ate less than 1200 calories every day, I lost a lot for a while and then I plateaued. When I started eating 1200 plus my exercise calories that's how I have started to lose pretty well every single week.
  • RandaBear04
    Options
    Yes, I just signed up for this too and I'm 5 ft 9 inches tall and it also tells me that I can only consume 1,200 calories a day. Why is everyone saying that is too little? I'm just confused as to why the site would say but then how do I know what's best for me?
  • monica5237
    Options
    Yes, I just signed up for this too and I'm 5 ft 9 inches tall and it also tells me that I can only consume 1,200 calories a day. Why is everyone saying that is too little? I'm just confused as to why the site would say but then how do I know what's best for me?

it is what you should eat BUT that is if you do nothing but lay around if you exercise you have to eat your exercise calories log everything and you will get it
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    have you calculated your BMR calories,, the amount you need just to live? I think that is the number you shouldn't go below, 1200 is the standard setting in MFP and it needs to be adjusted according to your height and weight age and activity level. There is a calculator in the tools section. I think 1200 is way to low for you.