Egg Beaters?

Options
I had my first Egg Beaters omelet yesterday and thought it was pretty good. Anyone have any experience with them? Any downsides?

Replies

• amber_hanners
    amber_hanners Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    oh i love egg beaters
  • ifiwasurvampire
    ifiwasurvampire Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Love egg beaters! Esp southwestern style. Yummy.
  • TLC1975
    TLC1975 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Love them!
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I like them, but they're way expensive. I get a lot more value from buying eggs in bulk and separating the whites from the yolks, even though the yolks have half the protein and most of the nutrients in the egg.
  • vickthedick
    vickthedick Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    <3 eggbeaters, especially the cheese and chive variety. I save money by buying hen they are 3 for $5 on sale or buying the generic varieties. I like to sprinkle some ground red pepper to kick it up a notch...BAM
  • gt45891
    gt45891 Posts: 25
    Options
    Egg Beaters: I use them for a fat-free protein boost. But the downside is the sodium content out of the box.
  • dengarrett
    dengarrett Posts: 367
    Options
    I like them, but they're way expensive. I get a lot more value from buying eggs in bulk and separating the whites from the yolks, even though the yolks have half the protein and most of the nutrients in the egg.
    Ahh. So Egg Beaters is really just the whites with flavoing added? If so - then the only question is the cost of time and effort to essentially make your own? These days - my wife and are all about cutting out processed foods and doing it oursevles. Seems this is one more opportunity.
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I don't waste my money on them. The fat in an egg, from my understanding, isn't bad fat. I most of the time just have regular eggs now. One whole egg and an extra egg white. Your body needs that fat and protein that is in the yolk. Cheaper to buy large quantities of eggs.
  • RobinMAshby
    RobinMAshby Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have them almost every morning! I add a piece of cheese to help the flavor. You can eat a cup (same as 4 eggs) of them for 120 calories, plus 60 for the cheese and that carries me through to lunch with no hunger. They ARE more expensive than eggs but 1 real egg has about 71% of your daily cholesterol "requirement" compared to 0% for the egg beaters. I love cereal but I would rather eat the egg beaters and have the proten instead of the carbs. Not sure if that is best for the body in the morning though. Are we supposed to have some carbs for energy in the morning?
  • jilaneeaf
    jilaneeaf Posts: 38
    Options
    I don't waste my money on them. The fat in an egg, from my understanding, isn't bad fat. I most of the time just have regular eggs now. One whole egg and an extra egg white. Your body needs that fat and protein that is in the yolk. Cheaper to buy large quantities of eggs.

I do this too. One whole egg then one or two egg whites!
  • dengarrett
    dengarrett Posts: 367
    Options
    I agree that the fat and cholesterol in eggs is not my concern - I'm looking for foods that have low calorie content to help me with my fitness goals. Egg Beaters has nearly half the calories as eggs. But I do agree that it's better to make our own - cut out the middleman doing all that processing and we get to control our own ingredients.
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i use egg beaters (or generic version) when i'm tweakin my recipes for lower calories. they r more expensive than regular eggs but i don't buy eggs often anyways. i'm abt 2 make some chocolate chip cookies with the egg beaters & c how they turn out. it'll b my 1st time usin it with the egg beaters.

there r usually coupons available 2 purchase egg beaters so if it's the expense that is not liked u can always look 4 them 2 help out. :flowerforyou:
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    If you are getting healthy fats in other areas of your diet, there is no need to HAVE to eat the yolk. I love egg beaters-- they are a bit pricier, but I prefer to the extra cost to doing it myself and tossing the yolk. Also, if you have a Costco, they sell a 6 pack of the small cartons for $7, which is a great deal!!!
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I love egg beaters! We buy them in bulk and freeze them. They are so easy to cook with and store. We have been using them for 3 months and no problems.
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    egg beaters are great if you're trying to 'healthify' a baked good and lower the fat/calories. they're also great if you're in college and have limited space, time, and cooking utensils. lol! (that's why I buy them.)

other than that, if you just like to have eggs for breakfast or lunch fairly often, and you have access to a full kitchen, there's really no reason to choose the egg beaters over eggs.
  • marci355
    marci355 Posts: 292
    Options
    I eat egg beaters every morning, cause I am lactose intolerant. There's a lot of lactose in regular eggs, and the egg beaters are just fine!! No tummy upset at all. Yeah, a bit pricey though.