HRM Question (kinda)...

Options
(I originally posted this in the P90 thread, but also wanted others opinions)...

Well my husband and I are on on day 52 of P90! We started 3-4 series just last week.

Just yesterday, I received my new HRM (I bought a Polar FT4) and was sooooo excited to use it so I can get an accurate "calories burned" reading for myself and not just a general number to input in my diary.

It was very bitter sweet for me because after I was done with Sculpt 3-4 this morning, my readout said I burned only 223 calories...My first reaction was, "is this RIGHT"???? "How can this be"???? I "BROUGHT IT" and only burned 223 calories on 3-4 no less.

A couple things to mention....

1. Since starting this program -P90, I have NOT lost any weight...While I DO believe I lost inches, there has been no scale weight change (which I am OK with, as I said, I'm happy with inches)... But am wondering if maybe this is why? Have I been eating more calories than I should thinking that I burned a lot more than I actually was. This whole time, I've been factoring around 300 for Sculpt 1-2 and 400 for Sculpt 3-4 (just basing it on other people and the beach body forums)...

2. EVERY TIME, I DO BRING IT!!!!!! I am NEVER half assing it!! Truly I'm NOT.

3. My reading said that I was "in the zone" for 22:00 or so if that says anything.

If anyone has any words of advice or reassurance for me, I would appreciate it.

Also, I am 5'2 and weigh 131 lbs if it matters.

PS. Do I subtract any calories for actual "rest calories"?

Thanks!

Replies

• crystaltrejo
    crystaltrejo Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I found the same thing.....now you have a true number to use and now we just have to kick it up a bit more, nothing wrong with being pushed! It is truly an eye opener that is for sure.
  • malabaugh
    malabaugh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Yup. HRM numbers can be very different from MFP averages. Now that you know the real deal you can make some adjustments and will hopefully see more results. Way to go losing inches! That's awesome.
  • Jordu
    Jordu Posts: 13
    Options
    According to what you posted, you are technically in the "healthy" BMI range according to the WHO. Therefore, the idea that you should be actively trying to shed pounds is somewhat questionable.

Right now, your goal should be toning up rather than slimming down, and it sounds like you're doing well with that.

I've noticed from experimenting with my own heart rate monitor that the lower your overall BMI, the harder it is to elevate your heart rate. For instance, I have a BMI of 34.7 (Class I Obesity, bordering on Class II), and my greatest difficulty is keeping my heart rate down (it routinely gets up to 188 bpm, which is kind of risky, so I have to take frequent, lengthy breaks). Remember, the heart rate monitor only calculates calories burnt by cardiac muscles, so it will almost always underestimate your energy consumption.

I guess, if you really wanted to increase your heart rate to burn more calories, you could try adding intensity with additional weights or additional resistance bands, but it's my opinion that you'd be better off just continuing what you're doing.
  • polar5554
    polar5554 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    According to what you posted, you are technically in the "healthy" BMI range according to the WHO. Therefore, the idea that you should be actively trying to shed pounds is somewhat questionable.

Right now, your goal should be toning up rather than slimming down, and it sounds like you're doing well with that.

I've noticed from experimenting with my own heart rate monitor that the lower your overall BMI, the harder it is to elevate your heart rate. For instance, I have a BMI of 34.7 (Class I Obesity, bordering on Class II), and my greatest difficulty is keeping my heart rate down (it routinely gets up to 188 bpm, which is kind of risky, so I have to take frequent, lengthy breaks). Remember, the heart rate monitor only calculates calories burnt by cardiac muscles, so it will almost always underestimate your energy consumption.

I guess, if you really wanted to increase your heart rate to burn more calories, you could try adding intensity with additional weights or additional resistance bands, but it's my opinion that you'd be better off just continuing what you're doing.

My goal weight is between 120-125. I was down to 124 but quit smoking and gained a little over 5 lbs.

But yes, toning is a very big part of what I want to accomplish.
  • Jordu
    Jordu Posts: 13
    Options
    My goal weight is between 120-125. I was down to 124 but quit smoking and gained a little over 5 lbs.

But yes, toning is a very big part of what I want to accomplish.

In that case, just keep doing what you're doing, while maybe adding a little extra resistance with more weights or more bands, and you should continue to tone up.

At your fitness level, change should be more gradual than with many other people, so don't get discouraged. Also, if it helps, remember that your heart rate monitor is always underestimating your true calorie consumption.