HCG injections

Options
good morning all!!
a friend of mine was telling me about the HCG injections (the hormone that women give off when preggo) there is a strict list of foods that i can eat and the program is only for 26 days. has anyone tried this or has any advice. i have been dieting and exercising and have seen some results but i need to shake things up because i'm afraid i've plateaued. i know this isn't a quick fix and have no plans to do it more than once. any advice would be awesome :) have a wonderful week!!!

Replies

• rebawagner
    rebawagner Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Oh get ready... you just opened pandoras box :)
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Please, DO NOT do this! It is a highly suspect weight-loss method, and you should question the ethics and credentials of any doctor who would sell you this treatment. If you want to bust through a plateau, try adding one or two workouts a week of strength training mixed with high-intensity cardio intervals.

(More info on the HCG diet: http://www.angrytrainerfitness.com/2011/03/the-hcg-diet-does-it-really-work/ )
  • jc151
    jc151 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I dont recommend this program unless you are extremely over weight. The young lady who does my monthly facials did the program and she has lost a lot of weight however the problem is that the diet is so strick you can not exercise and thats not good because your body needs exercise. The negative is you lose the weight but you dont tone while losing so the weight lost doesnt look as good as someone who tones and cut back on calories. This is like a stravation diet so of course you will gain the weigh back. I only suggest if you are extremely over weight other wise if your trying to lose 10-20lbs do it the natural way.
  • Jw9576
    Jw9576 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I know someone who did it and lost a lot of weight but, 500 calories a day? That's just too crazy! Plus, its not safe!!!!

Why not just make it permanent and lose the weight as a part of a healthy lifestyle?
    There are no quick fixes in life my dear.

Just stick to a nutritious healthy eating plan, exercise and dedicate yourself to being educated about why you gained the weight in the first place and you will do just fine.
  • geri25
    geri25 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I woul not do it my doctor wanted to give me phentermine i opt not to take it told myself i will do this on my own found this site a few days later back in Jan and i lost 28 pounds so far
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that did this...lost tons of weight really fast. Gained almost all of it back just as fast. I would not suggest it!
  • rebawagner
    rebawagner Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I woul not do it my doctor wanted to give me phentermine i opt not to take it told myself i will do this on my own found this site a few days later back in Jan and i lost 28 pounds so far
    AWESOME JOB!
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Oh get ready... you just opened pandoras box :)

:laugh: oh yeah she did.

Fad diet's of any kind = failure. Don't waste you time, money or risk your health! Here is just one link to a podcast about the facts regarding HCG, yes it is a starvation diet. One question, have you ever seen a pregnant women lose weight? :laugh:

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/2011/02/fat-2-fit-118-the-evils-of-starvation-diets/
  • themrsbriggs
    themrsbriggs Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    wow lol, i knew this was going to be a controversial topic lol
    i need to lose around 65-70 pounds to be at my healthy weight. i have been doing ok eating better and working out but haven't seen much change in 3 months. i haven't started it yet because i wanted to know what my MFP family thought about it. i dont have the shots, i have the drops under the tongue 3x a day. i was told i can still work out and drinking a lot of water isn't a problem for me. im just confused :( but i KNOW there is no quick fix for weight loss, that's why IF i do this, it's a one time thing. help :(
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options

Excellent work, this is how it shoudl be done, not with fads. I really wish these crap diet programs had stricter regulation to protect the consumer. My sister-in-law is on one now, about as long as I have been with MFP. She dropped 10 lbs and stopped losing, my banner below tells you what I have done with no fad diet at all, just good eating and exercise. On the plus side I will be able to help her when she is ready to hear the MFP way.
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    wow lol, i knew this was going to be a controversial topic lol
    i need to lose around 65-70 pounds to be at my healthy weight. i have been doing ok eating better and working out but haven't seen much change in 3 months. i haven't started it yet because i wanted to know what my MFP family thought about it. i dont have the shots, i have the drops under the tongue 3x a day. i was told i can still work out and drinking a lot of water isn't a problem for me. im just confused :( but i KNOW there is no quick fix for weight loss, that's why IF i do this, it's a one time thing. help :(

It sounds like you already know that this is a bad idea, but you are looking for help to get off this plateau. In my own experience, plateaus are about 80% mental. The hard part is digging deep to find a reason to recommit, often to a plan that seems harder at first. You may have stopped losing weight for any one of many reasons: your body got used to the workouts you do, your metabolism has slowed due to your loss, or you're just tired of calorie restriction. It happens to all of us.

First off take a good look at your workout, and find a way to change it up; add intervals, increase the intensity, and add some strength training. I promise, strength training will not bulk you up. Second, evaluate your diet, including how different foods make you feel.

You can do this, and you don't need artificial treatments to do it, either.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I was just reading about this on CNN. Apparently, there was no difference between taking HCG and taking a placebo. It is the 500 calories that causes the weight loss. Of course eating 500 calories for too long will cause your metabolism to slow and then you gain weight even eating 1200 calories until your metabolism rights itself.

To get over a "plateau", I would try mixing it up a different way. I would either increase my calories by 200 per day for a week and then go back to my normal diet or do the opposite (as long as I wasn't eating less than 1200 per day). Or I would change my workout by adding heavier weights and more cardio or taking a week off (whichever is really different for you). Sometimes you just have to surprise your body.

If you decide to do HCG, good luck. But before you do, you should check out the information CNN has about it and make an informed decision.
  • themrsbriggs
    themrsbriggs Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    ok, verdict is in and i'm NOT going to do it! i appreciate everyone's advice and i am just going to keep doing what i'm doing and just mix up my workouts. there is no quick fix for weight loss and i know that i've taken the first big step by admitting that :wink:

thanks everyone and have a wonderful week :flowerforyou:
  • patrickobrien01
    Options
    My belief is that there is no magic solution to weigh loss. The only thing that works is a reasonable diet, exercise and patience. Plateau is normal although very frustrating. You job to get past it is to change the exercise routine and do lots of different exercises. Circut training is the best for this. There are many exercises you can do and always be able to change up to beat the plateau. Just google circut training and you will find exercises you can do.

Good Luck
    Patrick
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    The reason you're not losing is in your food diary. Some days you aren't logging, and when you do, you're not tracking sugar and sodium. I think many of your food choices are high in one or both of those. Also, there's very little fruit and almost no veggies. Many days you under eat.

You don't need HCG; you need to clean up your diet. Do that and I think you'll get better results. Good luck!