Low Calorie snacks to munch on

Options
jrusso28
jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
I am new to MFP, and this is my first attempt at losing some weight.
I have about 25 pounds to lose and am adjusting to reading labels and making better food choices.
That being said.......
I am finding it impossible to find a low calorie snack food for munching on when watching TV.
I thought pop corn (air popped, no butter or salt) would be good, but was surprised to find that one cup of popped corn was approx 30 calories. To make that worse, 1 cup of popped corn is about 15 kernels. (Are you kidding me??)

I am looking for something that I can snack on for 100 calories or less that will be more than one or two small pieces.
The goal is to have something good to munch on while watching tv or a movie.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    Edamame!!!
  • jessifreehugs
    jessifreehugs Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My favorite tv-watching snack is hummus and pretzel sticks. You can eat like 80 pretzel sticks for around 100-130 calories, so that's a great option. Other than that, fruit is my go-to snack food. A handful of strawberries or grapes satisfies my sweet tooth.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I love baby carrots. Ate about 1/3 of a pkg while watching TV over the wkend.
    A celery stalk is also good to nibble on.
    Something crunchy will last longer.
    If you absolutely HAVE to, get some fat-free dressing to serve as a dip.
  • HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Really?
    I eat Fit and Active light butter popcorn and it's 50 cals for 2 1/2 cups.
  • MrsB81
    MrsB81 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Veggies and sugar free peanut butter satay , we make up a platter of carrots, celery, cucumber, etc.

I have granola bars they are 100 calories per bar (2 bars in a pack) feel really naughty but aren't too bad!

Sugar free jelly and low fat yoghurt?

Or lemon sorbet? Crushed ice and lemon juice

mmmm sure everyone will have lots of ideas
  • kelseyfaith
    Options
    rice cakes, melon or strawberries are my low cal snack foods I have a bi bowl of strawberries everynight with half a tea spoon of sugar and some cracked black pepper totally yummy x
  • Aintplayin
    Aintplayin Posts: 102
    Options

I had found a recipe in Fitness Magazine that included cumin and chili powder. I didn't look at this recipe but roasted chick peas are easy and definitely worth checking out.
  • joan41
    joan41 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    laughing cow cheese and the new kellogs crackers are GREAT. You actually get 17 crackers per serving. Of coarse ther's always fruit, which I can't wait for it to br fresh. Best of luck! Oh, don't forget the vitamuffin or vita brownie with a glass of skim milk! LOVE it!
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    3 cups popped popcorn is a serving, so that is still only 90 calories. A filling low-cal snack in my opinion. I eat Meijer Naturals popcorn. Even the double butter is only 130 calories a serving.
  • Aintplayin
    Aintplayin Posts: 102
    Options
    Really?
    I eat Fit and Active light butter popcorn and it's 50 cals for 2 1/2 cups.

Fit and Active also has faux cheezits in individual serving bags for 100 cal. Yes, they're empty calories but they are a nice little 'cheat'.
  • HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup light vanilla ice cream with 2 Tbsp frozen raspberries. 100
    cal

1 small baked apple with 11/2 Tbsp light pancake syrup. 97 cal

10 baby carrots with 2 Tbsp fat-free ranch dressing. 90 cal
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I love love love to snack and watch my stories (TV shows haha). Here are my go-tos:

- 100 calorie smart pop pop corn (mini snack size bags)
    - 100 calorie klondike ice cream bars or something similar
    - light pringles!! you get 14 for 70 calories :D
    - 100 calorie packs of any kind really
    - fresh fruit (especially grapes, strawberries and pineapple) mmmm

The main thing you have to worry about is portion control. And the longer you stick with it, the easier it gets. I swear my first week I thought I was going to die of hunger but I made it and now I'm excited to get my ice cream bar at the end of the day :)
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Fruit and veggies are my "go to" snacks. Truthfully part of the problem is the "mindless" eating that we do while watching tv. I will now brew a wonderful smelling cup of herbal tea and breathe it in while sipping. Sense of smell is so powerful this often takes away the craving for a 'munchie".
    I try NOT to sit and mindlesly eat in front of the TV now as you can easily consume WAY too many calories this way.
  • jrusso28
    jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is great!
    So many responses.

This forum and MFP is such a great resource!

Keep them coming.
  • AdoraK
    AdoraK Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I get the 100 caloire Mini Bags of popcorn by Orville Redenbackers. I put Garlic powder on mine. The serving size is 6.5 cups popped and is actually about 110 calories.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    laughing cow cheese and the new kellogs crackers are GREAT. You actually get 17 crackers per serving.

I'll second that motion. I tried them -- admittedly not expecting much -- and they make me want to throw rocks at all other types of chips or crackers.
    Only problem I've found is that only a few grocery stores around here stock them.
  • BrandNewMia
    BrandNewMia Posts: 461
    Options
    My first choice is always fresh fruits and veggies! Lots of fiber, great crunch, satisfy my sweet tooth, they are low sodium, and of course have plenty of vitamins and minerals. Raw nuts and dried fruits are yummy, too. Sometimes I'll add some peanut butter or hummus.

ETA - I saw someone else mention tea and I do that pretty often, too! Especially if I don't want to eat any extra calories, I will brew a pot of green tea. After i drink it, most of the time it will satisfy me and settle my stomach and I don't feel hungry anymore. I am so impressed with all the healthy snack options people are suggesting, I wonder what we all would have said prior to MFP! (chips and chocolate used to be my night time snack of choice)
  • LauRoxx
    LauRoxx Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My fav snack which may be a few too many calories than you're interested in is just cereal.

When I first open a box of cereal I empty the entire contents into 1-cup ziplock bags, grab one whenever I'm craving a snack and it's surprisingly filling at only 100-130 calories.

...and when I'm actually on my game and grocery shopping, I LOVE fresh cut pineapple <3
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Fruit,yogurt,granola bars,90 calories,100 calorie snack packs.I too drink alot of tea during the day.