Protein Shakes (UK user)

Options
Hi Guys

I am struggling to get enough protein into my diet especially straight after my gym workout (30 min journey home) so I was thinking about trying a protein shake.

Can anyone recommend a good one please? Reviews appreciated!!

Mandy x

Replies

• monylove311
    monylove311 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I like Jay Robb egg protein because I don't like the taste of Whey.

I also like the Lean Body powder packs (40grams, so I use half per shake) They are tasty, but pricey. I usually mix fresh or frozen strawberries, bananas, blueberries or some yogurt in them. yumo! They are a mix of Whey, soy, egg.

Good luck!!!
  • SuperBowlVikings
    SuperBowlVikings Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    http://www.myprotein.com/uk/pages/home

I get all mine from here.
  • Dancinhiphop4life
    Options
    i use body fortress chocolate or care one rich chocolate. they are both whey and sometimes i add fruit. its so delicious that way, like chocolate covered strawberries or bananas.
  • jessicamiller25
    Options
    You really need a good high protein recovery meal after a hard workout. I love "Designer Whey" Protein. Vanilla and Chocolate are both great flavors. It has mostly natural ingredients, gluten free and only "100 good for you calories", 18 g protein in one scoop. I have found making a home made protein bar to be the best thing for me. Try this recipe:

1/2 cup oatmeal
    1 1/2 cup protein powder
    1/4 cup natural peanut butter (NO SUGAR ADDED--fat drained)*
    1 cup skim milk powder

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and add enough water to make a stiff dough
    --you will have to get your hands dirty to mix it up; it's sticky.
    Spray an 8x8 inch cake pan with Pam and press in dough evenly.
    Refrigerate a few hours to harden, then cut into 8 - 12 bars, depending on requirements.
    Wrap bars in plastic wrap & store in fridge.

You can adjust to your portion needs by cutting into larger or smaller bars.
    I cut mine into 8 bars and that works out to approx:
    28.5g protein
    22.5g carbs
    6g fat
    245 calories

Read more: http://liftforlife.com/content/bodybuilding-fitness-diet-health-articles/diet-articles/727-protein-bar#Homemade_Protein_Bar_recipe_-_ 8_servings#ixzz1Hu4hGs9f
  • geemerpaddy
    Options
    My bf also uses my protein for all of his. They're much better value and have a much better selection than Holland and Barrett.

I'm veggie and my diet tends to be low in protein if I don't keep an eye on it, I tend to make lentil soups etc to boost my protein which are also low in fat.
  • em80
    em80 Posts: 91
    Options
    I use the My protein -Choc nut flavoured whey
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Hi Mandy I use promax only because you can buy it at tesco, sainsbury or asda. They sell the shakers for it too so you can take powder to the gym and add water when needed. Its palatable like that but when you're at home you could add fruit and blast in blender with ice cubes and its lush. :)
  • Debx12345
    Debx12345 Posts: 210
    Options
    Hi Mandy

I use a soya protein one from holland and Barrett, it's a slow release one that is gentle on my tum, I have ibs.

I would suggest popping into holland and Barrett, and have a chat with them, they can advise a good one for you based on your needs and why you want one. My friend at work went in at the weekend and they asked him loads of questions to try and find right one for him.