Compliment from a Stranger

Options
CaraRadz
CaraRadz Posts: 169 Member
Since I started MFP in late December 2010, I've become kind of a spinning junkie. I go to at least three classes a week, usually four or five. I see a lot of the same people in class, but I generally only know them to say hi or smile. Yesterday while I was warming up for class, the guy on the bike next to me (who I recognized as a regular but had never talked to) said, "I've seen you in here spinning a lot, and since you've started you've obviously lost a lot of weight. I went through the same journey, and I know how much hard work it takes. So I just wanted to let you know that the change is noticeable. Great job."

In the past three months, I've lost nearly 35 pounds (34.8 to be exact), and I've gotten comments from my parents, my fiance, and a couple co-workers about the loss. But to hear a stranger say such a kind thing just absolutely made my day and completely motivated me to keep going.

So to the people in the forum who have asked whether or not they should comment on people's weight loss, I say do it! A little positive reinforcement really goes a long way!

Replies

• kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I know people are often afraid to say anything for fear they might offend the person but it's so nice to hear it. Especially when it's a truthful compliment and not condescending! Great Job on your loss! :drinker:
  • alex51026
    alex51026 Posts: 71
    Options
    Congrats! That is a huge compliment! Last month there was a lady in my Body Pump class that I have seen several times over the last few months and she said "you are looking skinny!" and it was a day my wife was taking the class with me, I had a huge smile, once again, she was a complete stranger.

Keep up the hard work! its obviously paying off!
  • happynmontana
    happynmontana Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It really makes a difference when someone goes out of there way to give a compliment. BTW - 35 lbs in 3 months is incredible! I have close to the same goal (unofficially,) and I pretty much just started... so thank you for the motivation!
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    That is really awesome! Always nice to know someone is noticing your hard work.
  • awelch79
    awelch79 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    That must have made you feel AWESOME! Congratulations on such incredible results!
    I was at my zumba class last week and one of the regulars said I looked great and she was jealous that I was already ready bikini season! Now, I definitely WILL NOT be sporting a bikini, but it was a great thing to hear nonetheless!
  • TriumphNow
    TriumphNow Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I completely agree! Compliments and encouragement are great. Congratulations on your journey so far :flowerforyou:
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    yay! how encouraging! you're doing so great :)
  • SammieGetsFit
    SammieGetsFit Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss and three cheers for Mr. Stranger! And congratulations on your upcoming nuptials. :)
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! :bigsmile:

My wife keep telling me how much I am shrinking. I look forward to the day when a stranger notices too. Keep up the good work!
  • HiJam
    HiJam Posts: 22
    Options
    That is awesome! :bigsmile:

My wife keep telling me how much I am shrinking. I look forward to the day when a stranger notices too. Keep up the good work!

@MakingAChoice - You can be sure that others notice but probably feel uncomfortable telling you. Keep encouraging and supporting others ... you are next!

@FutureMrsR - After your fellow spinner's comments and personal insight you probably glowed the entire day (I would have)!
  • beckyhope
    beckyhope Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    That's amazing! Awesome job!
  • samcee
    samcee Posts: 307
    Options
    Aw, thats really sweet of that guy!! How nice!! Well done!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!