sleep question

Options
so i've read that averaging less than 8 hours of sleep is counter-productive to weight loss (and good health in general). so, if you're not sleeping well at night, could naps make up the deficit, or is middle-of-the-day sleeping a big no-no?

Replies

• RZO42488
    RZO42488 Posts: 64
    Options
    I highly doubt it's conuter-productive but may affect your body's ability to work out.............
  • onefasternurse
    onefasternurse Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I would love to hear the replies as well. I struggle with getting enough sleep. Unfortunately my days are so chaotic I couldn't squeeze a nap in either :( I am lucky to get 5-6 hrs of sleep/ night.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    From my understanding (from Senior year psych, so don't take this as gospel) but cat naps and such really don't factor into your overall sleep and here's why:

In order for your sleep to give your body it's full recovery, you need to get in full REM cycles (2.5-4 hrs depending on the person). Naps don't usually last long enough, or allow you to be 'fully' asleep enough to get in a full REM cycle let alone two (which is the base amount that is recommended, hence 8hrs of sleep but theres always that tool you know who can be fine and happy with 6 hours of sleep- shorter REM cycle).
  • arodriguez24
    arodriguez24 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I wish I was getting enough sleep during the week but Its not happening, I wake up at 5am to workout and go to bed 1130-1230 and that's if my little kid lets me. On the weekends I make up some of the sleep. I think in general the reason it hinders weight loss if because you will get hungry if you stay up late so the chances of eating more is greater and I think there is some effects on the metabolism but I'm not to sure. I do know that your muscles do need sleep to grow back bigger and stronger.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt it's conuter-productive but may affect your body's ability to work out.............

Lack of sleep absolutely can be counter productive to weight loss, especially when people are already eating on the lowest ends of their calorie deficit. And here's how it works (at least with MFP): Your daily calorie burn is estimated assuming you are getting the proper amount of sleep. All of the food you eat is based around these estimates. But there is a lfinite amount of stress the body can cope with so by sleeping less you are increasing your calories burned and the amount of stress you are putting on your body, BUT without compensating for it with additional nutrition. Your body's reaction to over stressing is often to increase fat stores where/when ever it can, so that one time you get burnt out and have a cheeseburger or donut, your body is like "SWEET!" and holds onto it as much as it can.