Workout shoes

Options
Hi everyone! I have a question. What the best shoes to workout in? I do a lot of aerobics and step classes and I have the Sketchers shape ups toner and have noticed my feet hurting afterwards, I guess they are only good for just walking? Please help!

Replies

• poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I use Brooks and I swear by them. I used to be a huge Nike fan, but after I tried the Brooks, nothing compared. They're great for running, high impact, low impact and everything in between.
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I'm a Saucony fan. Very comfy.
  • carrie145
    carrie145 Posts: 297
    Options
    I like Asics.. I bought the Asics Gel-enduro 5 last spring, and they are still going strong. I think they were around 80 bucks..I have a pair of the shape ups. I like them for walking, but not aerobics.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Don't do anything more than walking in the toning shoes unless they are specifically designed for the type of activity you are doing (for example, the Runtones for running). The basis of the theory behind these shoes is instability, in that they have an uneven sole. However, in activities other than walking or general day to day stuff (like running or working out), this creates a huge probability of turning an ankle due to your being off balance.
  • txsjhawk
    txsjhawk Posts: 25
    Options
    It really depends on YOUR foot. If you have a store closeby that will actually help you fit, go...they are usually free for the fitting. Ours locally is Fleet Feet. Mizuno, Brooks, Izumi are some really good ones but it really depends of what feet issues you might have i.e. pronation, flat feet, bunions, high arches etc...

The sketchers def are not for working out, they really can put undue stress on your feet.

happy shopping
  • rkapss
    rkapss Posts: 3
    Options
    I bought Asics and love them.... They're a lot lighter than most other brands but at least my feet don't hurt now.
  • Tiana405
    Tiana405 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    definitely BROOKS! there's a place here called OKRunners and they actually fit you with the proper shoe based on how you walk/stand, etc! if you can find a place like that, i highly recommend it!
  • keybelle
    keybelle Posts: 15
    Options
    I use the New Balance with an orthotic insole for high arches. They have a machine at the store where you stand on the machine and it tells where the pressure points on your feet are. This helps to figure out which shoe you need to correct issues like pronation, etc. Of course, you don't have to buy them at the store, you can usually find them cheaper online once you know your size and the right shoe.

I hear a bunch of folks like the Asics as well and I may give them a try.
  • melissa0001
    melissa0001 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Shape ups are only to be used for walking (it says so on the box!)

I use a nike cross trainer and love them.
  • madinaibr
    madinaibr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love my Asics cross-training shoes GEL-ANTARES TR2. They are very comfortable with plenty of room for my toes. I am going back to the store to buy another pair just in case they discontinue it. Don't buy running shoes for step aerobics. They don't provide lateral movement support.
  • msccarter
    msccarter Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Rurouni_Kou
    Rurouni_Kou Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I love my vibram five fingers (but then again I revel in being barefoot.)
    I wear a pair of VFF sprints for regular walking and a pair of VFF Biklas for running in (because I was blowing a hole in my sprints too fast and Biklas have a thicker pad under the spot I'm blowing out).