Beware The Ides of March Challenge!!! 90-day style....

Options
Let's get a group put together and we what we can individually and collectively accomplish!

Variety is the spice of life, so I'd like to see a good mix up in here. Men. Women. Oldsters. Younger pups. Energetic and active. Barely getting around. One thing in common is that we all want positive change, we're sick and tired of being sick and tired, and we're getting started NOW.

I'll start! I'm Alan, live in Houston, TX. 49 years old. Husband and father (4 kids, 14 down to 6). Have "more than 100" pounds to lose. Not just the weight loss, but want to make strides towards fitness in general: heart-healthy, flexibility, cardio-vascular.... You get the idea. I grew up being skinny, but got fat later on as an adult. I realize I am a classic at-risk for diabetes and more. Don't have such problems right now, but need to do something about it while I can.

So let's get a great group going. Since today is Day 1, we'll use every Wednesday as "official" report-in day. We'll focus just on weight numbers in this challenge, but acknowledge that overall fitness and health is most important. Format should be as follows:

Weekly change (in pounds): _________
Current status: _____________ (weight at start/now/goal).

Let's have fun, work hard, and lift each other up.

I'll update my profile and signature area to show more information.

Welcome, and Best Of Success to everyone!!!

alan

Replies

• kgillikin
    kgillikin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me. I'm Kristie. I am 32 years old with about 30lbs to lose. I have 3 kids. 3 1/2 yo boy and 11 mo twins boy/girl.
  • aks801
    aks801 Posts: 20
    Options
    Doh!

Today being Day 1 on a TUESDAY, then each Tuesday will be the weekly official report-in day.

Rookie....

alan
  • aks801
    Options
    Sounds good to me. I'm Kristie. I am 32 years old with about 30lbs to lose. I have 3 kids. 3 1/2 yo boy and 11 mo twins boy/girl.

Welcome Kristie! Fine-looking crew you have there.

alan
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    Sweet! I'm in, I never manage to catch these things lol.

My name's Kim, 20 years old, and I live in Ontario. I' saving up money so I can finish my degree in BioMed, and I love to dance in my spare time. Heart problems and diabetes run amok in my family, so I know I need to be careful with my body now or I'll regret it later. I'd like to lose ~30lbs, and quit smoking before the summer time.

Thanks for starting up this group Alan, it feels great to be part of a team again =)
  • aks801
    Options
    Sweet! I'm in, I never manage to catch these things lol.

My name's Kim, 20 years old, and I live in Ontario. I' saving up money so I can finish my degree in BioMed, and I love to dance in my spare time. Heart problems and diabetes run amok in my family, so I know I need to be careful with my body now or I'll regret it later. I'd like to lose ~30lbs, and quit smoking before the summer time.

Thanks for starting up this group Alan, it feels great to be part of a team again =)

Welcome Kim! Sounds like you're on the right track already.
  • jessnurse1985
    Options
    I'd like to join up. My name is Jess and I'm 25 and weigh 179.5. I'm 5'10". I'd like to lose about 40 lbs at least. I've fallen in with the quick fixes and fads and low carb-ed it many times but I'm ready for something sustainable. My blood pressure is always up and diabetes runs in my family a bit. I'm glad to catch this early. I need the support of a group and would love to be your cheerleader too.
    Since this is a 90 day thing I think 40 lbs is too much so i'll just stick to
    25 lbs lost as a goal.

179.5/179.5/154.5
  • aks801
    Options
    I'd like to join up. My name is Jess and I'm 25 and weigh 179.5. I'm 5'10". I'd like to lose about 40 lbs at least. I've fallen in with the quick fixes and fads and low carb-ed it many times but I'm ready for something sustainable. My blood pressure is always up and diabetes runs in my family a bit. I'm glad to catch this early. I need the support of a group and would love to be your cheerleader too.
    Since this is a 90 day thing I think 40 lbs is too much so i'll just stick to
    25 lbs lost as a goal.

179.5/179.5/154.5

Jess! Great to have you in the group: a cheerleader is ESSENTIAL to our success.
    You're already helping me: I had not established a crystal-clear goal. I'll work on that tonight and post it up.
  • aks801
    Options
    So: goals. Important to have. Meaningless unless we make a real effort to achieve them, and become "more" along the way.

My goal for the 90 days is to lose 40 pounds. At my current weight, that is very achievable, and I would be very happy with it. At the same time, it will take real work and continual focus. As in, it won't be easy.

How will I get there? My wife and I will be doing something loosely based on the Belly Fat Loss principles: limit sugars to 15 grams/day, no more than 6 "servings" of carbs. This will mean a fair amount of protein intake, vegetables, vegetable soup as a daily staple, salads, Babybel LIte cheeses for snacks, staying away from fried foods.... I'm not advocating this as a plan for anyone else, just laying out what we'll be doing. Plus, I'll be getting back into the P90X workout routine. Now there's no way I can make it all the way through any of the workouts right now (come pretty close with the Kenpo), but I can do what I can do, and that's enough.

Let's rock this thing!

alan
  • kgillikin
    Options
    So: goals. Important to have. Meaningless unless we make a real effort to achieve them, and become "more" along the way.

My goal for the 90 days is to lose 40 pounds. At my current weight, that is very achievable, and I would be very happy with it. At the same time, it will take real work and continual focus. As in, it won't be easy.

How will I get there? My wife and I will be doing something loosely based on the Belly Fat Loss principles: limit sugars to 15 grams/day, no more than 6 "servings" of carbs. This will mean a fair amount of protein intake, vegetables, vegetable soup as a daily staple, salads, Babybel LIte cheeses for snacks, staying away from fried foods.... I'm not advocating this as a plan for anyone else, just laying out what we'll be doing. Plus, I'll be getting back into the P90X workout routine. Now there's no way I can make it all the way through any of the workouts right now (come pretty close with the Kenpo), but I can do what I can do, and that's enough.

Let's rock this thing!

alan

I want to lose about 20-30lbs in 90 days. I will be incorporating belly fighting foods since that is where my weight is. I will be walking outside with my family, running on the tremill, ab exercises, and some strength training.
  • aks801
    Options
    Well, what with last week being Spring Break, and doing things with the kids..... TODAY is actually my real "start day". I know: excues, excuses.... But, "it is what it is".

My wife went late yesterday to stock up on the things we'll be using a bunch, really watching the labels for the hidden sugars.

Hopefully I'll have it in me to get in a round of P90X this evening: putting out 53 bags of mulch yesterday has left me creakin' and groanin'!

Have a great day, everyone!

alan
  • aks801
    Options
    Ok, down 5 pounds from last week. Pound and a half from yesterday. Going to think about the things written about in "The Slight Edge", and keep chipping away at it.

How'd everybody do?

326/321/190
  • kgillikin
    Options
    I maintained my weight. Dont know what I am doing wrong. This next week I will measure myself to see if I had any progress instead of just checking my weight.
  • aks801
    Options
    I maintained my weight. Dont know what I am doing wrong. This next week I will measure myself to see if I had any progress instead of just checking my weight.

Hang in there. Your clothes will be a much better gauge anyway.
  • aks801
    Options
    Weekly weigh-in is tomorrow, for those still following this little group!

Let's all keep up the good fight.

alan
  • aks801
    Options
    Ok, down 8 this week. Good for me! Time to keep pushing on. I like to look at the little tracker thing that shows progress, as it helps me realize that the daily small steps really will add up to something significant over time.

326/313/190
  • kgillikin
    Options
    I am down only 1lb this week. However it is my TOM and my clothes are falling off. So I will weigh in again when my TOM is over since I always put on water weight at that time.
  • aks801
    Options
    Had a fairly responsible weekend, eating-wise. We had family in on Saturday and a big event, but luckily I didn't get too-derailed. Cooked burgers yesterday and enjoyed a nice big one but no-bun: saved a bunch of sugar grams that way. Had an altercation with Little Debbie last night, but am over it and have sworn her off again.
  • kgillikin
    Options
    Well I am down 2lbs this week. If I do that next week I will finally be under 130 again. I havent been under 130lbs since my almost 4yo was born.
  • aks801
    Options
    Awesome! Looks like you are doing great.
  • aks801
    Options
    Ok, anyone in this here little group still checking in?

I thought some yesterday about how in previous weight-loss "attempts" I could fairly easily and quickly lose 20 pounds. But then for some reason I'd be satisfied with that, not make any more progress, and then tick back up in weight. So I made the DECISION to keep pushing forward and get to my goal. After seeing stories of other peoples' transformations, I thought "why NOT me?".

onward,
    alan