Obsessing over "bad eating" night :-(

DaniJeanine
DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
edited September 25 in Motivation and Support
So, I've always heard that if you're on-track all week, you can allow yourself 1 day to eat whatever you want. I've always hard a hard time accepting this as fact and I usually try to eat well 24/7. That being said, I usually let loose at big events like weddings, parties, etc. So, this weekend was my friend's bachlorette party and we ate AND drank it all! I usually don't count calories on these nights, but, I did a rough estimate this time and it looks like I ate 3,000 calories that day! Ugh! I am SO disgusted in myself :-(

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who "loses control" (my perception) at these events. My boyfriend is being very supportive (although he gets very annoyed when I worry like this) and telling me that everyone does this every now and then. He's can eat everything he wants and not gain a pound so it's easy for him to say! So, I think I need some advice from my fellow health-nuts...

Replies

• Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Don't obsess about it, you had a brilliant night out by the sounds of it, so enjoy that memory, rather than making yourself feel bad about it. It's not like you do this on a daily basis is it?

Just go back to normal today and you won't even notice it.
  • :flowerforyou: Its okay I would do that and feel terrible, I would just have to work harder in excersise just to even feel better. Dont beat up on yourself you are not alone. Its all a mind thing when it comes to weight loss you have to be determind in your mind that this bad eating night wont stop me from my goal!!! Your okay (=
  • cingerl
    cingerl Posts: 62 Member
    Don't obsess! I splurge at least once a week and enjoy every minute of it and still am losing weight. If you obsess then you will just make yourself miserable. I refuse to "give up" all the crap that I love. I just eat them less often and exercise more often.
  • I'm so glad to see this post. Monday morning loss of control regrets are the WORST! I am in that same boat today. Baby showers, cook-off benefit, and shop-a-thon with friends resulted in poor eating and even worse...beer after beer after beer! So take heart, you're certainly not the only one! I also wonder: is this random occurance wrecking my potential for success?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    I had a night out with a bunch of my old friends from high school on Friday. We went bar hopping and I know I overdid it a bit. I don't feel bad in the least! I had a great time and it sounds like you did, too. We are allowed to have a little fun and let loose every once in awhile. Remember, this is supposed to be a new lifestyle for you and there are going to be days where you can't expect yourself to stay on a strict regimen. The trick is to just go back the very next day to what you have been doing and it'll be just fine.
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Zig zagging calories isnt bad. I like to have a day where I eat what I want but within reason. I pay the band during the week before I dance on the weekend. Like Tom Venuto says if you smoked 2 packs of cigarrets for 20 years would you quit Mon thru sat and smoke all yah want sunday? Personal choice is I work in the big day with a small day....Just my opinion.
  • mfiggs
    mfiggs Posts: 155 Member
    You are so not alone! I obsess over having a bad eating day too. I feel so guilty and my husband gets pretty annoyed too! But, for people that have never had a weight problem (like my skinny husband) don't understand this. But, I have noticed the support I get from my MFP friends really helps me to not beat myself up over one mistake. I went out Saturday night for dinner and I didn't choose too healthy and then I had a few drinks afterward and I did not even log my calories that night and started over fresh on Sunday. If you obsess to much over the one night I think it can cause you to get depressed and then eat more. So, I say just let it go and keep your head up!
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    You are so not alone! I obsess over having a bad eating day too. I feel so guilty and my husband gets pretty annoyed too! But, for people that have never had a weight problem (like my skinny husband) don't understand this. But, I have noticed the support I get from my MFP friends really helps me to not beat myself up over one mistake. I went out Saturday night for dinner and I didn't choose too healthy and then I had a few drinks afterward and I did not even log my calories that night and started over fresh on Sunday. If you obsess to much over the one night I think it can cause you to get depressed and then eat more. So, I say just let it go and keep your head up!

This could be written by me! Yes to obsessing over mistakes, yes to the skinny husband, yes to the advice. Love yourself! You're beautiful!
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    I read in another thread about another person beating themselves up over the choices they made one meal, one poster said this and I will loosely quote them, Take it as a learning experience for the next time a celebration comes up. Know that your going to upset over the choices your making and make better ones. Allowing yourself one meal of high calories isnt the best choice but it happens and its not worth beating yourself up over. Let it go Move on and remember for the next time that maybe having a plate of wings or a bunch of sweets needs to be scaled back a little. Dont let the food ruin the memory of your friends celebration.
  • Majunta
    Majunta Posts: 575
    Don't fall into self sabotage...which is the result of beating yourself up. Jump back on today and you should have no worries on the scale. A No-Gain week is still success.
  • rocky03
    rocky03 Posts: 55
    I'm with you sister...everyday is a new day (thank god!) I just gave myself this very talk this morning. what's in the past leave it there, you can't change it. You can only live the present.
  • Funny think about the stuff you would have ate but didn't cause you watch what you eat and think about the girls who aren't or don't think about it. your not the only who goes overboard at such events. You don't do it all the time so it's a wash move on.... your body can deal with one night. hell sometimes over eating a couple days boosts the motabilisim and you losse more weight. don't be so hard on yourself.
  • please don't beat yourself up about it hun! we are all aloud to let our hair down once in a while as long as you don't make it a regular thing. sounds like you had a great time. take care of yourself
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Thanks everyone! I needed that and I feel so much better :-)
This discussion has been closed.