Depression coming back - how to stop it

Options
BerryH
BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
I know a lot of people here have suffered from depression. I beat it over two years ago, but suffered terribly weaning myself off anti-depressants. Now I can recognise the signs of it coming back - otherwise trivial problems building up into something insurmountable, inability to cope, a vicious cycle crippling insomnia and anxiety, taking it out on my partner, constant weepiness, the terrifying feeling it would all be easier just not to be here.

I really, really don't want to get back on the drugs again, I've become so used to feeling normal, this feeling of slipping back is terrifying me. What can I do to stay in control?

Replies

• dancingnancies
    dancingnancies Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    lots and lots of exercise. also maybe meeting with a therapist? do you live in an area where it gets very sunny? the sun will help with the depression as well.

goodluck!!!:flowerforyou:
  • BerryH
    Options
    England, so not that sunny! That's a great idea though. I am trying to get out for a walk every lunch time, partly due to the fact I've had to cut out high-impact exercise dues to a joint injury.
  • Schiavo
    Schiavo Posts: 3
    Options
    :wink: Don't let the bad things hit you in the face.Take up Kick boxing and this will bring out all the bad things hurting you.I am talking from my past experiences.I use my treadmill everyday and work off all the bad things that can't hurt your weightloss success too.
  • iwannawearatutu
    iwannawearatutu Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D supplements help me and my sweetie - about 4000 IU a day seems to take the edge off. And I agree 100% with the exercise! A good playlist of music that makes you happy - and makes you move more - and 30-60 minutes on the treadmill has been helping me too.

Best of luck, I have struggled with depression my whole life and I can empathize. <3
  • BerryH
    Options
    Thanks, that's a good idea actually. I tend to exercise solo, going to a class would stop me getting lonely and cutting myself off from people in general when I'm home from work.
  • BerryH
    Options
    Vitamin D supplements help me and my sweetie - about 4000 IU a day seems to take the edge off. And I agree 100% with the exercise! A good playlist of music that makes you happy - and makes you move more - and 30-60 minutes on the treadmill has been helping me too.

Best of luck, I have struggled with depression my whole life and I can empathize. <3
    Thanks. I just started taking a general multivitamin and mineral at the weekend as I was feeling washed out. Think this would be enough?
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I am right now weaning myself off the drugs. What I do is excercise and started to see my chiropractor regularly. And without the excercise I noticed a big difference just by seeing her. She had mentioned when I started that I will be going off the drugs just by seeing her. But I have since joined this site and doing regular excercise and going outside and getting fresh air helps alot.
  • lrhopkina
    lrhopkina Posts: 10
    Options
    For me personally, exercise has helped IMMENSELY! I was very depressed, and now the more I work out the better. Started with walking at lunches, then as my confidence and strength grew, so did the types of exercise I wanted to try. I think Therapy, even if its just when you start feeling down again is a good help. Good luck and stay strong! Remember you are in control!
  • kelligonzales
    Options
    My suggesstion and I'm no doctor so please take this with a grain of salt. My mother was always depressed growing up.... So i feel like i can tell you from life experience.

Start working out and doing things that get stress out. I found kick boxing/ boxing/ using a punching bag helps. Then instead of holding it in and crying it out talk about it with a partner/friend/ vent on here. Start a blog and get it out and feedback as much as possible. The world wouldn't be better without you and you need keep telling yourself that. You are a stonge woman and you beat it once and you will again. anti- depressants are evil and take you out of the game. If all else fails seriously go talk to someone and explain your feelings about how the drugs made you feel and to please try a more holistic approch.
  • Breckgirl
    Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I know the meds aren't your first choice but you have to understand that they "shore up" the chemical imbalance in your brain. Exercise will help with the endorphin thing but check with a Dr. too. I am a lifer on Celexa and, although I would like not to be, it's like insulin to a diabetic, I can't function without it. Good luck sweetie.:heart::heart:
  • punkrawkcutie
    punkrawkcutie Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    A therapist is a great idea as re-occurance usually is the result of something deepr going on then a one time instance.
    You may want to look into a light box for emotional support too, especially since England does not get alot of sunlight to stimulate seritonin production
    Also, speak to a nutritionist or pharmasist about taking 5- Htp, which also promotes seritonin production (as opposed to being a seritonin re-uptake inhibitor). Folic acid has also been linked to improved mood.
    And like the rest - work out and get 8 hours of sleep a night
    please remember however that if things are NOT improving you do need to see a Dr. Tell them about the anti-depressants from last time causeing you some distress. There are plenty of different types out there and trying out a few different ones might be what you need to do.
  • tinboy
    tinboy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid I agree with Breckgirl...one thing that might help, though, is light therapy. Since you live where there isn't a lot of sunshine. I can't seem to find my information about the lights...they are special "natural" light lights, that give you a specific spectrum that helps. Have to have a specific amount of time in the light/day, but can be while you are doing other things...such as being on the computer. If I can find my info, I'll post back. Also, some of the same brain chemicals involved in quality sleep also improve/prevent depression; so you may need some meds.... :frown:
  • rjnandjosh
    rjnandjosh Posts: 168
    Options
    i too have been on meds for depression. I started tai chi actually i bought a video and use it every day it helps calm me and i deal with the depression so far without meds again. Also exercises and this web site. feel free to add me as a friend
  • samcee
    samcee Posts: 307
    Options
    I suffer from anxiety disorder and depression so I know how difficult it is.

I suggest talking to a therapist. If you prefer action over to just talking about it than I recommend looking into Cognitive behavior therapy (cbt) which is brilliant in terms of understanding your automatic thoughts and behavior. You'll learn how to spot them and deal with your negative thoughts and feelings.

This book has been very helpful to me:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mindful-Way-Through-Depression-Unhappiness/dp/1593851286

Meditation is a great method too. Check out the london buddhist centre in Bethnal Green and Covent garden if you're in London. It's only something like £2 during lunch time hour but they have evening sessions too. http://www.lbc.org.uk/
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Depression is a chemical imbalance, remember. It is not simply something you can "get yourself out of". Sure, you can do things that boost your spirits, like exercise and such...and that is WONDERFUL. However, if you do have clinical depression, then sometimes, medication is the best choice.

I have seen the effects of trying to treat it on your own...it is not pretty. :(

Therapists are a wonderful thing....I think everyone should have one. LOL They can help and they can also help you figure out how severe your depression is.

Okay, off my soap box.

Be well and take care :)
  • manymuses
    manymuses Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    In addition to the great suggestions above, Journal it out too!
    Writing down your thoughts and feelings is an act of literally getting them outside of your body where they cannot fester and grow out of control. Just a simple notebook and pen are all you need to begin, or even adding a note or two in your MFP diary every day is a start in taking control of your thoughts and feelings.

Sending you strength...
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I have also struggled with severe depression/anxiety issues in the past so I can really sympathize with your situation. First of all, I think being able to recognize these feelings as they creep up is over half of the battle. Taking action at the first signs can help prevent fully slipping back into your old habits. Here's some of what I do:

Try to GET UP, GET OUT and GET MOVING. Whether it's hitting the gym, a walk around the block, frequent trips to the grocery store or a night out with the family....it doesn't really matter, just get out and move. This for me is probably the most important thing, yet it's the hardest thing to do when I'm feeling depressed. After my father passed away my mothers therapist gave her a little bit of nifty advice that I have also found to be helpful. Right when you wake up every morning be sure get showered and dressed all the way down to your shoes. That way you are ready to face the day and more likely to get out and get things done. Second most important thing for me is nutrition. The better I eat the better I feel. So eating a well balanced diet and trying to avoid sugary candies, drinks and other things of that nature (when possible) really does help a lot. I also find it helpful to avoid alcohol when I'm feeling down because that seems to just make things worse.

I also take Vitamins. They are expensive but totally worth it for me because they help me a great deal. I take a D3 and a B-complex on a regular basis. I do believe that what kind of Vitamins you take really matters so I only buy whole food vitamins (preferably raw) and steer clear of the synthetic stuff. I do a lot of aroma therapy, I <3 my essential oils and there are a lot of oils that can help with your mood and anxiety. Some of my favorites are Lavender, Rosemary, Sage, Frankincense, Rose, Sandalwood , Ylang Ylang, Bergamot and Lemongrass. I try to take a nice hot bath with oils at least twice week after a stressful day and it does wonders! I also take herbs. One that seems to work for some people with depression is Motherwort. But like depression medication it isn't something that works as an "instant fix" it's something you have to take for a while before you start seeing the benefits. It's worth a try but when ingesting anything be careful and tell your doctor, especially if you have any allergies to things like this. Hmm what else?....When I have trouble sleeping I'll have a cup of hot Chamomile before bedtime and it really helps me calm down. Also, anything with Jasmine in it seems to calm my nerves too.

I have managed to stay off medication for 4 years doing things like this, but everyone is different. Depression is obviously a very serious thing and should not be treated lightly. If you feel things are out of your control please don't hesitate to seek professional help. Good luck!
  • jennieodwyer
    jennieodwyer Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Perhaps using a sunlamp and/or fish oil supplements will help. There have been studies shown these things help. I also second exercise as well. Hope you feel better!
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    5HTP 100mg last thing at night and first thing in the morning and also a Vit D supplement - that's what works for me. Have your Vit. D levels measured. What you get in a multivitamin is not enough. I take about 2000 iu every day and even more during times of stress.

You could also look into St. John's Wort. It helps some people, but did not help me. Try Melatonin to improve your sleep cycle. Start with 1mg and see how it goes.
  • BerryH
    Options
    Wow, what an amazing set of kind, knowledgeable, insightful, LOVELY people you are :smile: I will certainly be trying a wide range of suggestions here, they sounds really helpful.

Just got back from the GP and I'm in the depths of full-blown depression again. He recommended I should go straight on to meds before it got worse and harder to treat. I asked for a different type from last time. I need to read all I can about them and think about it overnight. They really scare me.

What came out that I didn't realise was how much of losing my Mum through early-onset Alzheimers was behind it. Her early symptoms including insomnia and depression. He put my mind at rest and said this kind of illogical conclusion was typical, and Mum's condition was down to her brain function slowly shutting down and her realisation of that.