Anyone else on 1200 cals a day with 10lbs to lose?

Options
Hi All,

I am new and want to lose my 'final' 10lbs - I have been losing and gaining the same 5lbs for the last 3 years and I am really sick of it, it's time to deal with them I think and I'm looking for others with a similar amount to lose.

Here are my reasons to lose it for real this time:
- because it makes me unhappy to have things in my wardrobe that don't fit
- because those 'few' extra pounds make me 'a lot' unhappy
- because I am in a nice comfy relationship which is fab, but if it ended tomorrow (which I certainly don't expect!) the first thing I woud do is lose those pounds, so why shouldnt I be slim and happy, rather than slim and miserable?!
- because in about 6 months time we are going to start trying for a baby and I want to know that I am in the best shape possible for that
- because I keep paying money to weightwatchers, but I am no longer a believer and think this will be a nice fresh start
- because I have a couple of parties, hen doo's, weddings coming up that I want to look and feel great at this summer

There - I hope I am not asking too much - please join me!

x x

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Not sure 1200 is enough! You should eat your calories from exersise back! on days i know i'm going to the gym, i log my exersie in the morning , then have bigger meals those days!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Good luck on your journey
  • mispink
    mispink Posts: 11
    Options
    good luck!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Hey-

As someone who is coming to the last 10lbs froma previous 30, I would say you might want to consider upping your calories and taking it slow. At this stage your body is most reluctant to shed fat (it's emergency stores) so you have to be eating enough to convince it that there will be no emergency for which it needs to store said fat. It's kind of guess and check/trial and error, but 1200 leaves you little to no room for going over or under your cals.

At this stage I find I fare best when my goal calories are roughly in the range of my BMR (under the tools section).

Best of luck!
    ~Gonks
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    My basic stats are: high school I was 155. Later I went vegan was 145. Then I went raw and was 135. At some point I stopped eating all together and was 125 (so I'd say that's below an acceptable weight for me). One year ago I was 174, and as of this morning I was 144 (thanks to MFP!!!). I have some extra fluffiness around my mid section I'd like to see go- so if that's five, ten or fifteen pounds, I don't care. But I've been at this weight for seven months and what got me here from 174 isn't working anymore!!!! So I think this might be my last ten.....

Count me in! What do we do???
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I have 12-15 more to lose too! I have already lost the first 12 =) I am on a 1200-12500 calerie range, 1200 on rest days and 1250 on days I exercise! good luck!
  • ebergmann
    ebergmann Posts: 14
    Options
    i'm a petite girl, 5'3", with 13 pounds to loose. what are you suggesting to do?
  • Determined24
    Determined24 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I am on the 1200 calorie diet but it is not my last 10lbs. I wish you good luck on days you exercise it will free you up more calories remember that. I also eat grapefruit for my snacks and with my meals or drink the juice I do not know if it will work for you but I lost almost 12lbs in two weeks doing it. Maybe this will help you good luck to a healthier you.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Best of luck. I have 20 left to go so I am getting there!
  • KateB118
    KateB118 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi!

I'm in the same boat! This time last year, I was training for a half marathon. But within the past year, I've almost broken my back falling down a flight of stairs, broke my toe (I slipped and the high heel from my right foot went into my left big toe - I know, I'm pretty clutzy), started working on my PhD, and started dating a rugby player. Needless to say, I'm not running as much as I used to and eating the same amount, if not more, than I was before (it's amazing how much a rugby player eats, what's more amazing - that often times I eat the same amount). So I've gained about 10lbs and while it's not a huge amount, it's enough that my pants don't fit and it is really starting to bother me. I've talked with my boss about going to the gym during my lunches the days I have classes and just working an hour later to make up for the extra time I'm spending at the gym. I've also committed myself to logging in to my fitness pal to track what I'm eating. I've lost 1lb so far! 9 more to go! I'm all about motivating each other! Good luck with your progress!
  • jscbaughman12
    jscbaughman12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I too am on the 1200cals day....with 15lbs to lose thou. I am getting married june 1012, so engagement pics coming up has motivated me to FINALLY get the 15lbs I gained in my "comfy happy relationship" off! lol. Joined this site today! :smile: :smile:
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I used to have a goal to loose 10more, but I decided it would be too much, Im already quite ok. So I have 5lb left to loose and I upped my calories from 1200 to 1400 to eat more, also Ill exercise more and eat my calories back, and I plan on loosing 0.5lb per week.
    But thats just my plan:)
    There is some nice post around here about lean people trying to get leaner...might help!
  • yumcheese
    yumcheese Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. 5'3", 139 lb with about 10 lbs to lose. Trying to get to those last 10 pounds to be truly fit and happy about my weight. Also have our wedding as a goal this coming November.

I agree that 1200 might be too low when you are only losing a little. I found that I was REALLY hungry when I was trying to eat only 1200 calories. Now I stick to 1330 on my non-exercise days and always eat most of my workout calories. On this plan, I've been losing 1/2 lb/week steadily since early January. I know it's not fast, but I think it will actually stay off longer with this plan.

i welcome any other tips! friend me and we can keep track of eachother.
  • bast2112
    bast2112 Posts: 63
    Options
    Last time I started on a diet, I started at 1200 and lost nothing for 3 weeks. As soon as I upped it to 1400 I started losing. So if 1200 isn't working for you, you may need to up it. If your body thinks it's starving it won't allow loss!
  • jacquejl
    jacquejl Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Count me in! I am 4'11.5" and weight 126.8. I'd like to lose 15 lbs and weigh apx 110. I was comfortable at that weight for a few years (before that I was at 102, but think that's too much to lose at my age). It seems almost impossible to get this weight off. I'd welcome any tips, advice, suggestions and the like. I'd love to join a group that has the same goal. Thanks!!

Jackie :happy:
  • riascott
    riascott Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi Pinksherbert,

Count me in too. I am currently 9-10lbs away from my perfect weight. Im not really over weight as such, however I am over the weight I feel comfortable at, both in myself and in my clothes!

I was successful getting to and maintaining my goal by sticking to 1200 max in the week and then being naughty at the weekend, however since moving in with my boyfriend, my weekend has recently gone from a Saturday day of eating whatever I wanted to a Thursday to Sunday...to an every day of the week! Which as you can guess = a stone put on in a relatively short space of time! Ive been getting back into for the last week or so (and failed miserable again at the weekend) but have lost 4lbs so really I just have 9 or 10 to lose now....

Just need some friends now in the same position to help me along the way.... x
  • ajchristena
    Options
    Whoohoo! I'm in too. Just joined today and am on the same track. My BMI is incredibly high even though my weight is acceptable. i'm looking forward to the journey with you all.

my first thoughts are more water, less sodium - and of course exercise. Hang in there! We can do this!!!
  • regentin
    regentin Posts: 60
    Options
    Count me in too! I'm also new here and have many of the same goals that you listed. I have 10-15lb left to lose! I'm looking for friends, as I'm new to this site!
  • healthyandthin
    healthyandthin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thank you for creating this thread!

I'm 5'2" and 116-120 lb. I want to be 110 or 105 lb. I'm trying to eat 1200 calories but people on MFP keep suggesting for me to eat my exercise calories back. So I'm pretty confused right now. I tried to eat my exercise calories back for a few days and I ended up binging. =(
  • fitness_warrior83
    Options
    I also have 10-15 pounds to lose. I want to be between 115-120 and I am eating 1320 calories a day while working out 6 days/week doing P90X. On average you will lose anywhere from 600-800 calories doing a hour workout with them. I dont eat my exercises calories back since I am trying to lose weight and not gain or stay the same. I do recommend you up your calories to more than 1200 since that is the bare minimum for a female. I have been losing 1 to 1.5 lbs/week sticking to my calories, exercise and not eating the exercise calories back.

Keep up the good work.:smile:
  • rharvey75495
    Options
    I just joined last week...I am currently at 1100 (but I think I may be looking at this a little different....I am trying to keep my "food" number at or below 1400 calories and just try to keep my net number down to 1100...so I will be taking in plenty of calories)...I never want to play by someone else's rules:blushing: . I am currently 144 lbs and am 5'7", I'd be thrilled with a 10 lb loss, but my actual goal is 133...I'm a little unhappy at 135, but have been down to 130, about 4 years ago, and everyone thought I was sick, I picked the middle of that.
    I lost 20 lbs back then and one thing I did, that I know was helpful was to take Flax Oil. I recomend the bottled kind (I buy it at Wal Mart, a bottle cost around $5-7), but you can get the vitamin supplements in a pill form (horse pills though)...it taste pretty strong, so I down it and chase it with a hot beverage - coffee- so the oil with wash down and not stay in my mouth...tried a cold chaser...not a good idea.:drinker:

I really want to get this weight off and keep it off. We have a beach vacation planned this summer and I'm going with my sister-in-law (no kids, thin, tan - still love her though) and one of my best friends (she just joined MFP last night, we are going to be accountable to eachother).:smile:

I've lost 2 lbs so far, so I'm sticking with it and am on my way....goal date: June 2, 2011...that's my 39th birthday and I want to look and feel fabulous!

"Friend" me, if you like, and I'll be happy to encourage you, I think it is so important!
    Also remember that God is in control, even when you feel out of control, so pray....no matter what your religious beliefs, it certainly can't hurt!

Best of luck, R (I can do all things through HIM who strengthens me.)