Actual Calories Burned???

Options
My treadmill shows that I burn a lot less calories than the Treadmill Calculator online. Does anyone else have this problem? My treadmill does not ask for my weight and the Treadmill Calculator online does. My treadmill said it was 300 calories for 3 miles and the calculator said 603!

I posted somewhere in the middle 450 calories.

Replies

• crystaltrejo
    crystaltrejo Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    the only way to know for sure would be to be wearing a HRM, that is eye-opening.
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    This is why I bought myself a heart rate monitor yesterday. Used it for the first time today & there was quite a difference. The tread mill at the gym showed about 150 more calories burned?
  • Aetarac
    Aetarac Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    with treadmills it is hard to say because there are so many factors. Speed, incline, weight all play into how many calories you burn in given time.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    This would be the moment where people will reply with: "Invest in a HRM for a more accurate estimate of calories burned. I bought a cheap one [insert brand name or HRM type] at [enter sporting goods store] for [insert dollar amount] and it has helped me keep track of my calories burned" and whatnot.

I'm inclined to advocate the same thing simply because it is a better estimate of calculating caloric burns than simply guessing. I just didn't want to be one of the first ones to say all of that. Lol.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Both of these are estimates - likely quite generic ones at that. Neither are going to be "actual". You're best of investing in a HRM (even a relatively inexpensive one) with a chest strap and use that to estimate your treadmill calorie burn. (It's meant to be used for aerobic activities where you're working fairly constantly - so spinning, jogging/walking, swimming, etc. but not strength training, casual walking around the mall where you're stopping to stop, bumming around the house, etc.)

Personally I'd go with the lowest estimate until you can get a HRM or something of that sort.
  • MichaelPommier
    Options
    I read somewhere a couple of weeks ago where treadmills and ellipticals are generally about 20 percent off in either direction. I have a heart rate monitor that my wife got for me as a gift, I think it was about $35. It has a chest strap that constantly measures my heart rate and calculated my calories burned based on height and weight. I love it and I use it all the time. The first time I used it I was amazed that I burned about 10-15 percent more calories than MFP estimated.

I got my HRM on Valentine's Day and I have lost 10 pounds since I started using it.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Me too - heart rate monitor! Worth the investment, then you never have to guess and eat too many calories back.

:blushing:
  • BerniceB
    BerniceB Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have an elliptical and it is the same. I looked on-line and even asked the calorie count question on google. I do think myfitness pal over counts. I don't know what to do so I adjust my time so the calories match my machine - which I think is too low. Between the two measurements, I prefer low so I do not overeat.
  • rebysue
    rebysue Posts: 136
    Options
    I'll echo previous comments. I just got a HRM and it has been wonderful! Even doing the same workout, my burn varies by up to 40 calories just depending on what I put into it. Just look for one that has a lot of good reviews and you should be fine!
  • slapshotgolf
    slapshotgolf Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    This would be the moment where people will reply with: "Invest in a HRM for a more accurate estimate of calories burned. I bought a cheap one [insert brand name or HRM type] at [enter sporting goods store] for [insert dollar amount] and it has helped me keep track of my calories burned" and whatnot.

I'm inclined to advocate the same thing simply because it is a better estimate of calculating caloric burns than simply guessing. I just didn't want to be one of the first ones to say all of that. Lol.

Couldn't agree more.
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    My heart rate monitor has a lot less calories burned than the gym equipment. I was told that the gym equipment calculates the extra calories you are going to burn after your workout. So I am going to start wearing my heart rate monitor for about a half hour after my workout.
  • TeraMarieD
    Options
    The Treadmill Calculator online asks for all that information: weight, incline, speed, distance, and time.
  • rebysue
    Options
    The treadmill doesn't take into account your heart rate. Two people can weight the same, be the same gender and do the exact same exercise and still burn a very different amount of calories. Even if the treadmill does have "heart rate monitor", they are more for giving you a sense of where your heart rate is but they are far from accurate.
  • TeraMarieD
    Options
    We have a heart rate moniter. How do I figure calories using?
  • rebysue
    Options
    Not sure how to manually do it? Sorry! The HRM that I have shows the calories burned at the end of the workout.
  • chantel111184
    chantel111184 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    thinking of purchasing a HRM is there a particular brand thats the best or is it one that just has a chest strap included
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I don't have one yet, but I've been looking into them and Consumer Reports recommends the Timex t5g971. It does come with the chest strap and isn't too spendy.
  • rebysue
    Options
    @chantel111184 - Just check user reviews before you buy and you should be fine. Polar is supposed to be a really good brand. I have a Timex and have been very hapy with it.
  • TeraMarieD
    Options
    Ok, so I have research this since I posted this. There is an equation for calories burned and HR is not even mentioned in the equation. Weight, Intensity, duration, and the activity are used in the calculation.

To get the most accurate amount of calories you need to know the MET of each different activity, the MET is the metabolic equivalant.

The equation is:
    Total calories burned= Duration in minutes x (MET x 3.5 x weight in kg)/200

The treadmill calculator I have found uses this exact equation to figure my calories.

I have several websites to back all of this up, but we are not supposed to attach links in these posts.

I hope this helps everyone!!

:happy: