IMPROVING POSTURE

Options
thecanface
thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
read this article. if you have any tips, please share!!! my back is begging you :(

Do you need better posture? Read this article to find out how to stand straight and tall.
While it may not seem like it, posture is a very important issue. Better posture can help you look and feel better. But how does one implement better posture into their everyday life? What exercises exist that can help with better posture? Use the following eight tips to improve your posture:

Becoming Aware

The best way to get better posture is to become aware of the posture that you have now. Do you tend to slouch while writing? Lean forward while at the computer? Find a cue that happens often, such as a phone ringing or a door closing, and check your posture when it occurs. Then correct yourself. This method is very effective in bringing awareness of the posture throughout daily life.

Tone Muscles

Exercise and muscle tone actually enhance posture. Often, slouching occurs due to weak muscles. Stronger muscles prevent this.

Position your Head

Once you have begun exercising and reminding yourself of your daily posture, start noticing the position of your head. Many people walk with heads jutted forward. This causes undue strain on the neck muscles. Instead of letting the head jut forward, make sure that it is placed squarely atop your neck. You may feel taller after this exercise, but once used to it, your overall appearance will benefit.

Position your Shoulders

The shoulders often slouch backwards, giving the body a concave look. For better posture, make sure that your shoulders are upright and that your back is arched in toward the front. This will make you look taller and more confident.

Notice your Knees

Many people walk stiffly, due to the fact that their knees are not properly supporting their body. Take a minute to notice your knees, and how they relate to the rest of your leg. Are they stiff as you walk? What happens when you sit down? Ideally, your knees should support you and your legs while you stand, sit and walk.

Relax your Arms

While trying to implement all of these postural improvement, don't lock your arms. There is a tendency to lock the arms when concentrating on another part of the body. Leave arms relaxed and loose at sides while walking, and even let them dangle and move, if you'd like.

Remain Active

Poor posture is often the result of sitting, standing or walking excessively all day. To maintain better posture, try and have a healthy amount of standing, walking, sitting and lying down in each day. This will allow your body to move in more ways then when it is confined to a few positions.

Relax

The most important thing to remember is: relax! By saying this we do not mean slouching. The body can remain relaxed while moving and standing in a healthy way. Try to relax even while under important deadlines and meeting, and notice how much better you feel during pressured moments. Careful integration of this last tip into your daily life will make all of the other tips seem easier. Good luck!

Replies

• qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I have horrible posture but it is improving thanx for the tips
  • Altiv
    Altiv Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! My posture is horrible so this will definitely help me =)
  • WillWorkout4Food
    WillWorkout4Food Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing!
  • bobbijo72
    bobbijo72 Posts: 63
    Options
    this is very true.. but i find Pilates to be the BEST for me. i have severe low back problems. pilates for the last 2 weeks has proven to change my body and my posture and my strength! give it a shot.. I use Winsor pilates but any works. they are all the same...
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I have been seeing a chiropractor for the last month or so and feel so much better!
  • manda907
    manda907 Posts: 22
    Options
    I also have a bad lower back (couple of car accidents) and it's very hard to do Pilates comfortably so I end up seeing a chiropractor - I am not sure if they are even working.... less stress, sleeping well and moving around seem to help my posture best. I also know that losing weight will help improve my posture since there won't be fat in places that are causing my posture to be off naturally.

One big thing that has helped me is I wear Dansko shoes. If I don't wear them for a few days I can feel it in my lower back big time.
  • MissJennaBelle
    Options
    Thanks for posting! Bumping this so can read later x
  • NettieGirl4ever
    NettieGirl4ever Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting, posting for future reading!
  • bobbijo72
    bobbijo72 Posts: 63
    Options
    I also have a bad lower back (couple of car accidents) and it's very hard to do Pilates comfortably so I end up seeing a chiropractor - I am not sure if they are even working.... less stress, sleeping well and moving around seem to help my posture best. I also know that losing weight will help improve my posture since there won't be fat in places that are causing my posture to be off naturally.

One big thing that has helped me is I wear Dansko shoes. If I don't wear them for a few days I can feel it in my lower back big time.

yes. i had some serious issues with pilates in the beginning but i learned to do it with the modifications and pillows with great results. once i lost the weight and strengthen my core.. i have had little to NO back pain in the last 2 weeks. its amazing. since i have been in pain level 8-10 for the last 3 years! so.. maybe try with modification and slowlly... building strenght.. slowly good luck.
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I bought a posture corrector from a medical company. Best $12 I ever spent. I wear it every day. While it doesn't correct my posture for me, it does remind me by making it uncomfortable to sit with poor posture.

I have a dowager's hump from serious forward head carriage that I got growing up because I was a violinist and also because I had bigger-than-Dolly's breasts (had a breast reduction at 20). The corrector has not only helped me with my forward head carriage and my dowager's hump but also with my other back problems. Even my chiropractor has noticed a difference. It's awesome.

And I think that posture actually did affect my ability and desire to exercise. I never felt good enough to exercise and didn't want to deal with the pain. So I'm very happy with the changes I've made to my posture.

Great post!