New to Zumba

Options
Anyone have any tips about Zumba? Starting tonight, I am way nervous. Hopefully I won't embarrass myself too much :bigsmile: Looking forward to the good sweat promised:happy:

Replies

• princesshoagie
    princesshoagie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Just keep moving and have fun! Even if you get lost and don't know what's going on, just laugh and make up your own moves! You have to keep going over and over to learn the routines. Once you learn them, you can really start having fun with it! And chances are, you won't be the only newbie in class! I go to Zumba 3 times a week and there are always new people each class. Just relax and have fun!
  • tahardesty
    Options
    Don't be nervous! The important thing is just to move! You'll have a blast and get a GREAT workout!
  • jewels8121
    Options
    I felt the same way my first class, but just laugh at yourself and you'll notice that you aren't the only beginner! Have fun with it and know that it will take a few sessions before you really start picking it up.

Have fun!

Julie
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    My tip:

Keep in mind that you're there for a work-out and not for a dance class. In other words, if you don't have the move exactly right (there are some moves that I can do ok, but if I try to move my arms the way the instructor is it throws me all off so I just don't bother with the *exact* same arm movements), it's fine. In other words, do the best you can and modify when necessary. Most of all, have fun! :bigsmile:
  • idream2bgwen
    idream2bgwen Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Zumba is great. It is a good way to laugh at yourself too (or at least for me and my friends). It gets my heart pumping. Enjoy and let us know if you like it!
  • kris1085
    kris1085 Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    You are deffently going to love Zumba ! It is so much fun ! And dont worry about embarassing yourself everyone else is so busy trying to concentrate on what to do ! Just dont forget to take a bottle of water with you ! Hope you have fun !
  • mandycox1301
    Options
    I have been doing it for months.....it is awesome. I dont feel that I have any rythumn (and I cant spell...lol) but its the best!! The only tip I would say would be to not over think the moves. I do all the time and royally screw it up! When I let myself go and feel the music, I do great!!! Have fun!! Its is awesome!!!
  • Sherylp77
    Sherylp77 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I love ZUMBA!! I suggest standing in the front..in the back is where all the new people stand and it limits what you can do when people just stand around. Standing in the front also allows you to see the people who know the moves and the instructor. Trust me people are are too busy to stare at you!!

Get the feet first and then work on the arms!!

Good Luck!!
  • southernlay_d
    Options
    Noone is watching you. They are way more concerned at how they look than by how you look. So, enjoy yourself. Have fun. Give yourself 3 classes before you decide if it is for you or not. It will take about 3 classes to feel confident with the dance moves.
  • elyse0210
    elyse0210 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Zumba for months now and I love it. Don't worry if you don't get the steps down perfectly. As long as you keep moving you'll get a great workout and it burns tons of calories :)
  • Mgbmichele
    Options
    I love Zumba! It is addictive :) Don't worry what you look like, just move and shake it! Stick with it, the first time is always a little hard because the moves are not what you may be used to seeing in a fitness class. Last...Relax, laugh and have fun! And yes, you will have a very good sweat!
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I was feeling the same way when I first started Zumba (back in January)
    Don't be nervous though.....you will do great!
    Just keep moving, have a good time, laugh alot & smile :happy:
    It's a great workout w/o feeling like you worked your butt off.
    No one will be watching you as they will be concentrating themselves.
    Wear some comfy clothes, a sports bra (a must), maybe take a towel (if you sweat alot)
    & Lotts of water.......& shake it....have fun!!!
    Let me know how you liked it......Pretty sure you'll become a Zumba-holic like the rest of us! :flowerforyou:

Have a good time!!!
  • misskimlilac
    misskimlilac Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I have a new love and it is ZUMBA! Now I wish I had a HRM to see how the calories are melting off! Awesome workout!!!:heart:
  • xFrancescax
    Options
    I have a new love and it is ZUMBA! Now I wish I had a HRM to see how the calories are melting off! Awesome workout!!!:heart:

Me too I started a month ago and love it, just spend a godo hour wriggling about and giggling :) Definitely feel good afterwards too. Bring it on when is released on the wii.