why exercise

Options
So if you are suppose to eat back your exercised calories than what is the point of even exercising? Just so you can eat more?

Replies

• _Lisa_
    _Lisa_ Posts: 61
    Options
    to be healthy! to boost your metabolism! to build lean muscle which burns more calories at rest then fat does
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    to be healthy! to boost your metabolism! to build lean muscle which burns more calories at rest then fat does

Yep. Also, to prevent your body from burning muscle.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    So you don't end up skinny fat (thin with a high BF%)
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    healthy body and mind. healthy heart and lungs + about a million other benefits.
  • lisapickering
    Options
    So you don't end up skinny fat (thin with a high BF%)

Agreed! And because muscle increases your metabolism, and for the many, many other health benefits - your heart, your joints, your flexibility. To avoid so many diseases!! Exercise is so important!!
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    bc muscle doesn't build itself, and fat won't just fall off..not to mention all the endorphins it releases to make you feel good.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Because it's fun, and makes you healthier, and less prone to injury in later life. I LOVE the fact that I can feel my body working like it should again after 5 years of being a slug.
  • roxannima
    roxannima Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If you're paying attention to your target heart rate and not overdoing it in weights, then your workouts are likely successfully burning off stored fat. If you're working out just to burn off the day's calories, then you'll end up in a vicious cycle.

It's important to fuel your body (yes, with calories, but we're talking the good ones from nutritious foods, not empty calories like in popcorn!) so that it has the energy to burn the stored fat. You need to eat a little more to fuel up for the hard work your body put in during exercise.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    And to prevent cellulite. I know plenty of skinny fat people with orange peel legs.
  • rklein88
    rklein88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Exercise has been proven to prevent and reverse diabetes, heart conditions, and every other disease in the list of top 10 killers in America. Just search "benefits of exercise" on any search engine. Exercise improves the functioning of every body system.
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    and i dare say that people who incorporate exercise into their routine stick to the lifestyle change (eating better/acheiving/maintaining a healthy weight) better than those who don't.... If you want this to truly work, you need to learn how to be HEALTHY and part of being healthy is incorporating a reasonable level of physical activity.

:)
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Isn't the possibility of eating more enough to want you to exercise ;-)

Personally I think losing weight is 80% what you put in your mouth, but the value of exercising is the long (and short) term health benefits that are apart from losing weight.

BTW I ran for the train today, and actually got it, so much better to be fit AND thin, than just thin.

GG
  • spcopps
    spcopps Posts: 283
    Options
    This isn't a medical reason but my experience...I weighed 150 last year. After my job closed I gained to 174. I am down to 159 now and honestly I am smaller than I was at 150. I have decided it HAS to be the exercise I do 6 days a week. I am actually tightening up the middle instead of just losing fat and having more belly sag! It also makes you feel like you have accomplished something by finishing the work out. On my recovery day I feel so lazy all day without doing a workout..JMO
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Exercise has health benefits, its already decreased my resting heart rate, I recover faster after a workout. I've also gone from barely able to finish my 20 min session to doing 60 mins at a faster pace and steeper incline.

MFP already calculates your calories at a rate that you'll lose weight without exercise via the defecit (rate of weight loss) you chose when you signed up, be it 0.5 lbs 1 lb, 1.5 lbs or 2lbs per week. I eat some of my exercise calories back, I don't have a HRM so I don't count ALL the calories reported from a workout.