Weight-Gain From Menopause

Options
Any suggestions to assist in at least maintaining my current weight? Got frustated the past week, didnt feel like anything I did was working so i stopped tracking and started eating whatever. I am going through medical induced menopause and have been getting newsletters about the weight gain, but no real suggestions on how to at least maintaining my current weight. Very frustrating and annoying to me.

Replies

• juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/197230-the-flame-dolls-menopause-support-group

Hi there! While I don't know all the answers, I believe a lot of the weight gain comes from general loss of muscles mass as we age. I'm not sure of your age or how any of your personal situation factors into this but increased muscles will give your body the ability to burn off fat efficiently.

And, I can tell you that you are not alone!! I have put in a link to a menopause support group that I started not too long ago. Also, on the first posting there is another link to an even earlier topic that I asked the menopause and metabolism question. Many women shared there stories and experiences. A few personal trainer chimed in too. Perhaps you will resonate with some of it??.

I could also humbly suggest getting with a great nutritionist to help set you up on a wonderful eating plan ..

All the best to you :flowerforyou:

Julia
  • vrpadilla0315
    Options
    Thank you.
  • bushel
    bushel Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I didn't notice any weight gain from going through menopause, but it seemed harder to lose weight. I've been trying to lose weight for years now and it's been a roller coaster ride! Up, then down, up, up, then maybe down, down, down. Overall my weight is going down but so slowly (maybe 5 lbs a year?) I feel like time is running out. This year I'm determined (once again!)

For all of us the basics are necessary--healthy food in reasonable amounts and exercise. I'm picking up my exercise routine this year and hope that will help me lose faster. Hey, I'm going to go out on a limb here and shoot for at least a 25 lb. loss this year!

What do you do for exercise?
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I've had good weight loss results post-menopause using the Primal Blueprint food plan--eating more animal protein and good fats, plenty of fresh veggies and fruits, while avoiding potatoes, beans, and grains, limiting bread, and keeping my carb intake at 75-100 g per day for "effortless weight loss". For maintenance, the goal is 100-150 g carbs per day.

marksdailyapple.com