Running above Max Heartrate?

Options
I went road running tonight for the first time wearing my new Garmin GPS watch. I havent ran in a while altho I would class myself as quite fit. I ran 4.5 mile and decent enough pace and finished the run in about 35mins. When I got home I uploaded the data from the watch to compare against my other workouts (weights, Insanity, Cross trainer etc). My average heartrate was 91% of max and I was acutally 112% at times during the run. I do find road running tough but I didnt think my heart would be working so hard (as I completed the run easily enough). I burned 550cals

Any advice from other runners? Should I slowdown to keep my heartrate at a lower rate?

Replies

• pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    The only thing slowing down will do is allow you to run even longer. Why are you wanting to slow down? I just got done with an exercise physiology class so I don't know if you are worried about burning carbs vs. fat. If you are getting what you want out of your run I would just keep doing it. Adaptations will be made as you keep running.
  • rebysue
    rebysue Posts: 136
    Options
    My HRM did exactly the same thing the first time I exercised after having not exercised for a bit. After the first day, it went back down to where it should have been. I have also heard that the HRMs can take a couple of uses to adjust to and read your heart rate accurately. If I read correctly, this was the first time you wore it? Give it a couple of days and see what happens.
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I am often going above my "max heart rate". I used to do a high intensity interval class one time a week and was bouncing above my max off and on throughout the class. I go above during some runs too. If you aren't feeling bad, lightheaded etc..why back off? Working at a higher level will help make you stronger!
  • hedgertiger
    hedgertiger Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My HRM did exactly the same thing the first time I exercised after having not exercised for a bit. After the first day, it went back down to where it should have been. I have also heard that the HRMs can take a couple of uses to adjust to and read your heart rate accurately. If I read correctly, this was the first time you wore it? Give it a couple of days and see what happens.

no this was the first time i wore it out running. Ive worn it whilst doing different exercise. I checked the data again - it says I was at 119% of my max heartrate. That cannot be right or else the 220 - age equation must vary wildly
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    If you are an experienced exerciser, you will have a higher max heart rate then the age predicted max heart rate that most of those sites and pieces of equipment use. There are actually tests that you can do to estimate your actual max heart rate, but I don't have any of the procedures in front of me right now. I'd actually recommend a book titled Precision Heart Rate Training (available here, but you may find it cheaper elsewhere: http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Heart-Training-Edmund-Burke/dp/0880117702 ) to learn more about how the heart rate responds to exercise and how you can take advantage of the "zones" to meet your goals.